Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 10-16-13, 02:31 AM

SkyMac is on a distinguished road
Aux Power

Guy's I need a bit of help, next time someone has their front engine covers off can you take a photo of the aux power connections and the capacitor underneath.

I realise it is not the easiest spot to get to.

Thanks
Dave
Unread 10-17-13, 11:53 AM

jchronic is on a distinguished road
Dave -

I'll be over working on the bird tomorrow and will attempt to take a useable photo or two (I've undertaken doing the repaint myself that we discussed last year and the cowlings are off - it's every bit as much fun as you said it would be!).

Regards-
Joe
Unread 10-19-13, 05:41 AM

Thanks Joe, many thanks for doing this.

Let me know how you get on with the painting, anything questions just ask away.

Dave
Unread 10-22-13, 09:36 AM

Dave -
After looking at the airplane the other day I realized I can't see the capacitor or really anything around the power plug inside of the lower cowling. I can post a photo of the plug & cover from the outside for what that's worth, and will keep looking to see if I can shoehorn my old digital camara around to shoot something useable inside without removing the battery and bracket.

Sorry!
Joe
Unread 10-22-13, 10:44 AM

Hi Joe

Thanks for having a look, the capacitor / contactor is mounted directly under the AUX power socket, hard to get to when the engine and exhaust is in place.

I have bought a new contactor and diode board as mine were in not so good condition, eventhoguh they still worked they basically fell apart when taken out. The main reason for the photo is I was not there when it came out and I want to make sure of the mounting and placment of wires.

Dave
Unread 10-26-13, 10:41 PM

Dave-
I looked in my maintenance manual and there's an exploded view of the power plug and contactor and mount that attaches to the bottom of the battery frame. The 'architecture' of how it all fits together isn't all that clear but I can scan it and e-mail it if you like.

Re the painting, the stripping on the fuselage is coming along slowly. I've completed most of the removable parts, engine cowlings, panels, etc. For the aluminum prep I'm trying a new product, PreKote, which is a lot easier to use than the traditional acid etch/Alodyne process and a lot more environmentally friendly (supposedly). The U.S. Air Force has become a big user and advocate of it. We'll see how it holds up over a winter of low altitude flying over salt water.

Joe
Unread 10-27-13, 10:05 AM

Thanks Joe

Appreciate the help, I am not due back in Aus for some weeks yet. I will look at both service manuals (old and a newer version) I have and check the picture to see how clear it is.

Pleased to hear the painting is going well, for mine the painting is now complete. Next we rebuild all hydraulic rams, after which we can start to assemble the old girl.

Dave