Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 12-10-13, 10:54 PM

SkyMac is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Shimmy Dampener

Hi Everyone

During refurbishment of the nose gear and wheel bay I removed the shimmy dampener, only to find the rear mount has a crack in it.

On the bright side the nose gear rebuild and wheel bay are done. Whilst in this area I also took the opportunity to overhaul the aux fuel pump and rebuild the fuel strainer, removed cleaned and checked all hydraulic lines as well as replaced all terminals on the wiring, still trying to locate that black rubber boot which covers the terminal block in the wheel well.

My question to the group is: Does anyone have a shimmy dampener housing, as I will reuse my internals with a new seal kit. And from what I can see Lord do not make a direct replacement.

PN:1442114-7 Shimmy Dampener
or
Housing 1442112-496 as moulded into the side of the housing.

I have asked Don, but yet to hear back from him.

Dave
Unread 12-11-13, 07:34 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Dave

A quick search found one at Dodson. Also there is a Skymaster G model being parted out in Middleton, Ohio. Is this housing specific to G model or will another model work? I will do a little more research

Looks like in the PC for a 1976 the barrel number is 1442112-3. here's the whole assembly from Texas Air Salvage http://www.texasairsalvage.com/main_...?editid1=29314

If the 1442112-7 works for your model Dan Booker is parting out a 1969 that might have one.

Here's a barrel from Spruce in Europe http://www.aircraftspruce.eu/barrel-shimmy-dampener.htm

1442112-496
Price: Call
Quantity: 1
Kansas, US

Condition:RP
SHIMMY DAMPENER

Dodson International Parts
Phone: (785)214-4310
Fax: (785)878-8800
Updated: 8/6/2013

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years

Last edited by hharney : 12-11-13 at 08:27 PM.
Unread 12-11-13, 10:20 PM

SkyMac is on a distinguished road
Hi Herb

Thanks for input, I have found a number of complete second-hand units in AR condition and some new original ones.

I will check with Dan to see what he has left, then make a call on if I go to AR and rebuild or go new. Good thing is I will still put the nose leg back in and then install the dampener at at later stage before we do the major re-assembly.

Not sure about difference in castings for those that physically look the same but have different numbers, don't know enough about them.

As always thanks for the assistance.

Dave

Last edited by SkyMac : 12-12-13 at 07:00 AM.