Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 02-26-13, 07:59 AM

cessnadriver is on a distinguished road
Have one to sell? Sell it yourself Checkmate Checklist Cessna 337 B Skymaster

Hello ALL.
Has anyone purchased Checkmate's checklist for your C337? I have a 1965 Skymaster and the company doesn't make a checklist for my bird. Do you think the C337B model checklist will work for me? Except for the pre-set flaps and cabin temperature controls and possibly Gross Weight, that's is all I see as a difference between the two aircraft? As always Thanks for your advise.
BILLS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	checkmate checklist.JPG
Views:	1503
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	1453  

Last edited by cessnadriver : 02-26-13 at 08:15 AM. Reason: forgot weight difference.
Unread 02-26-13, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a checklist for a '69 model D that I can send you. It's a Microsoft Word document which you can modify and laminate. Go to www.SkymasterUS.com for instructions on how to get it.

Ernie
Unread 02-26-13, 02:51 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Why not just use the check list in the POH? If you want to make it easier to use in the plane just format it from the POH on your computer, print it and laminate it. That's what I did and works great. I have my check list from the POH plus the Emergency Procedures all laminated and just use a single ring to tie them together. BTW, my Emergency Procedures are printed on bright green paper so that they look different than the regular procedures on white paper. You might think that green isn't the best color for Emergency check list and that Red would seem more common but the red paper was hard to read once I printed it and the only other bright color I had was green. So my Emergency Procedures are really easy to spot on the check list but they are green

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 02-27-13, 02:34 AM

macaman is on a distinguished road
I'm with Herb but think there is also a lot of customizing that can be done as a benefit. We have a Checkmate Checklist for a Hawk XP which was nice but due to differences in options etc. we've blacked out items that aren't pertinent. When we got our Skymaster, I basically copied the format of the Checkmate Checklist and went through the POH and entered everything in and then with time, moved items around to fit a check flow since over the 45 years our plane has been around, some switches have moved and there is not anything from the original stack that remains. Another plus is that as we get to know our planes a little more intimately, we are aware of some items that may require 2 or 3 checks (i.e. before engine is running, at idle and run-up.) I've also added IFR flight checks and other helps that instructors have shown me that are not on any checklist out there. That and there were so many changes made, sometimes in the same year, that I'm not sure how much I'd trust a generic checklist. For example, both Herb's and my Skymasters are '68 C models but with the turbocharged model, if I remember correctly, the fuel system is even plumbed differently, which they went ahead and changed the next year with the D model.

I also like that I had to spend some time studying the checklist out and understood a lot more of the whys and hows since I'm guessing many of us don't thoroughly read through the disclaimers that are tagged to a number of items while we are in the air or on the ramp with 4 or 5 people we're hoping to impress.

The main thing is make sure everything is there that needs to be there and having the familiarity of creating the checklist makes it quicker and easier to go through each phase and be sure you've actually done it all.

Have a great fly everyone.
Unread 02-27-13, 07:19 AM

Check list

Thanks to ALL of you!
I appreciate everyone's input, and here's my take on the subject. The reason I was wondering about the CHECKMATE, is we in the Civil Air Patrol use these type checklist and are really handy. Not thumbing-through a loose leaf type POH. As for the idea of make my own, I AGREE! I make one for C172, and of course modified it to my comfort level!
Thanks again, BILLS
Unread 02-27-13, 10:19 AM
Administrator

For me the principal advantage of a customized checklist (which I can send to you, see earlier message) is that you can HIGHLIGHT and/or add color to a few items that you have trouble with. If you are like me, some things are instinctive, they come natural. Others I tend to forget, and those I highlight. For instance, in my pre-flight I tend to forget to check my wing tips for a sign that my airplane may have been hit. On landing I sometimes forget props forward. Twice I've forgotten to lock the door and it has opened in flight.

I also include things that are specific to the type of flying I do, which is mostly over water. So procedures for an in-flight fire are in there. Radio frequencies for the Bahamas are in there. Someone who often flies over mountains or often take off in airports with high density altitude may wish to add other things.

The checklist I use, with highlighting and color, is shown below. The two pages are printed back-to-back on a single sheet of heavy stock and laminated.

Ernie
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Checklist 337G3.pdf (18.1 KB, 5183 views)
Unread 02-27-13, 12:02 PM

Checklist

Thanks Ernie!
This is what I was looking for. A single sheet checklist, instead of flipping through a loose leaf POH. I save and printed a copy if don't mind? Also do you think there's many differences between your "G" model and my '65 straight model, probably the cruise settings?
Thanks again.
BILLS
Unread 02-27-13, 01:08 PM
Administrator

You shouldn't just print mine and use it. The one I posted is in PDF format, so you can't modify it, which is crucial. Plus it's for a G model. If you read my earlier post, I tell you how to get the one for a D model (which will be closer to yours -- less modification) PLUS it's in Microsoft Word format, so it CAN be modified to conform with the checklist in YOUR POH.

Ernie
Unread 02-27-13, 02:08 PM

checklist

Ernie.
I scanned the PDF and converted it to WORD. I already started the modification to meet my needs. But if you have another model closer to mine, I take a look.
Thanks.
BILLS
Unread 10-27-13, 10:25 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...echeckpro2.php
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SureCheck-Ch...581ca5&vxp=mtr

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 10-28-13, 06:20 PM

checklist

Thanks Herb.
I'm finishing a lit checklist, sort a like the old mechanical one that some C337 I've seen. I purchased 16 lights that have removable covers to install printed labels, these lights are push button. As soon I complete it I'll send you a picture. I also talked to a member that told me about a complete Century 2 single axis auto-pilot that I'm seriously thinking of buying. Any thoughts?
Thanks as always for your input.
BILLS