Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-12-18, 11:27 PM

cessnadriver is on a distinguished road
Smile Prospective Buyer Questions

To all. I'm an A&P and have a 1965 Skymaster. I have about 700 hours Cessna singles/helicopters. I'm NOT rated in the Centerline Thrust Skymaster but am working on it, it's difficult to find MEIs that have Skymaster time. I've flown a Skymaster that I did an annual on for about two and flew mine about an hour before buying it. Except for the extra engine it flys pretty much like a C182-heavy yoke. I have liability insurance on my bird, with a 20 hour dual in C337 to include 10 hours instrument training requirements. It's about $1300 a year NO HULL.Some other questions-ASKED- the older c337 have seat rails for the 5th and 6th seats, the seats are normal size except the seat legs are only about 3 inches high. The seats are comfortable but I'm 5'2". As a safety item most older Skymaster have baggage doors and a person can exit through it in an emergency. Maintenance since I'm an A&P and with a $300 sign off from an IA my annuals are cheap. Speaking of maintenance for the 50 PLUS year old Skymaster-here are a couple examples. 1) While doing the annual I open the gear doors, using the emergency hand pump, to inspect in the wheel wells-NO PROBLEM. After the inspection I used the hand pump to close the gear doors-PROBLEM it took me about two weeks, after talking with other mechanics and this forum, it was a loose connection on the hydraulic solenoid! 2) Just recently I was doing some spark plug lead testing, I connected the lead tester to the hot side of the battery contactor, I didn't what to remove the battery cover, the tester some how cause the electrical BUS to remain on even with the master switch was OFF. Again with the help of others and about 2-3 weeks, of chasing wires, I found that two diodes in battery/alternator circuits where bad. These are fairly simple problems but took way too long to correct! I hope my information is helpful.
Regards-BILLS

Last edited by cessnadriver : 01-12-18 at 11:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Unread 01-13-18, 07:49 AM

6498w is on a distinguished road
Thanks a million! This was really helpful info. I really appreciate you giving your personal experience and perspective with the airplane. That's what I'm really looking for so I can assimilate it all and draw my own conclusions.

Incidentally, the only "young" airplane I've ever owned was a Cirrus and actually, that was more expensive to maintain than any of the 40 plus year old airplanes I've owned! I think the bad news is they are all expensive.

Thanks again.
Unread 02-16-19, 08:59 AM
bigcheese

n86121 is on a distinguished road
Two more cents, maybe too late?

CARGO DOOR
I've had my '69 T337D for over 25 years (during which time I've not aged a day). I like having the cargo door in back, both to load and unload 'stuff,' and as alternative means of escape if needed.

SEAT ARRANGMENTS
I bought the airplane from a fellow had a family of five. He kept two front seats, the far-side one in the 2nd row, and the two rear seats. Easy to get to all five seats. Quite comfortable, but you sit on luggage. I have had grown adults fall asleep in the back row because it was so comfortable.

I keep my front two rows in, and use back for luggage.

WATER IN TANKS - HOW TO PREVENT
Having learned the hard way (front engine quit 200 ft in air after takeoff, due to water contamination!), I keep some 12 inch pipe cleaners in the airplane tool kit under the passenger seat. Whenever I fuel I intentionally drool a bit into the fill area around the cap to make sure the though-wing drains are clear. If not, out comes a pipe cleaner.

The tanks will not leak water IF the drains are kept clear.

My guess is a lot of people don't even know there are drains there. They are not marked, nor obvious. Just tiny 1/8 in or so holes in the well. If water allowed to 'fill' the bathtub around the caps, it CAN drool into the tanks.
Fort Washington, MD 20744

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: