Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 03-07-22, 06:36 AM

patrolpilot is on a distinguished road
So, I guess that leaves the GenesysAerosystems, aka STEC?

My 400A is still working, thanks to Auto Pilots Central. When I was last there, I asked what was next when it quit and was told the 55X. The 2021 MSRP was $21K just for the A/P. So who knows, maybe the 400A will outlast me.

Last edited by patrolpilot : 03-07-22 at 06:43 AM.
Unread 03-07-22, 11:03 AM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolpilot View Post
So, I guess that leaves the GenesysAerosystems, aka STEC?

My 400A is still working, thanks to Auto Pilots Central. When I was last there, I asked what was next when it quit and was told the 55X. The 2021 MSRP was $21K just for the A/P. So who knows, maybe the 400A will outlast me.
I have the 60-2 with electric trim, altitude and vertical speed presets. Very nice to fly behind.

My understanding is that AP Central can repair just about anything on a 400A - Why not just let them keep it flying for you rather than spend $30k on a new AP + install???

It may not be a modern digital AP, but its certainly better than nothing!

Last edited by mshac : 03-07-22 at 07:28 PM.
Unread 03-07-22, 07:10 PM

GAdams is on a distinguished road
55x Quote

I got a quote for a 55X today. It does have the Altitude Select interface with the Aspens which are already installed but no electric trim. The wait time is 12 weeks for the equipment to arrive at the dealer. Dealer install time was not discussed. $36,164 plus tax and extras like shipping, shop supplies, dealer extras and front and rear floor mats. They would not quote a 60-2 even though I asked for one. There is a 16 week lead time.

I think the moral here is if you have an autopilot love the one you are with. If you don't, you don't and you may never have an autopilot.

How do you spend that much money for one piece of equipment on a 1969 337D? I just can't pull the trigger.
Unread 03-07-22, 07:30 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAdams View Post
I got a quote for a 55X today. It does have the Altitude Select interface with the Aspens which are already installed but no electric trim. The wait time is 12 weeks for the equipment to arrive at the dealer. Dealer install time was not discussed. $36,164 plus tax and extras like shipping, shop supplies, dealer extras and front and rear floor mats. They would not quote a 60-2 even though I asked for one. There is a 16 week lead time.

I think the moral here is if you have an autopilot love the one you are with. If you don't, you don't and you may never have an autopilot.

How do you spend that much money for one piece of equipment on a 1969 337D? I just can't pull the trigger.
Don't forget the extended warranty, curb feelers, under-coating, mud flaps and window tint. The Finance Manager will see you now in his office.

Last edited by mshac : 03-07-22 at 07:33 PM.
Unread 03-08-22, 08:04 AM

Yep, sticking with the 400A and Autopilots Central. I cannot see putting that kind of money into my '77 G.
Unread 04-12-22, 01:38 PM

TomeHill79 is on a distinguished road
Form Completed
Unread 04-17-22, 09:09 AM

cessnadriver is on a distinguished road
Question Autopilot Opportunity

to ALL.
FYI. I have the straight 400 autopilot that was included, IN A BOX, with the purchase of a '65 C337. I talked with Central autopilot, the guy told me that they were NO LONGER rebuilding the Navomatic 400? Maybe it's only the straight 400? Anyways, I found a avionics shop, Mayday avionics, in Michigan. It took some time to get it rebuild but they finally got it repaired. A SOAPA member had donated his servos to complete the repair. THANKS TO TOM M!!
It was really inexpensive, $3100 which included rebuilt AI and DG. I still need to go to Mayday to have them certify the install. The tech said it maybe another $1500 for the service/flight check. My option-NO TOO BAD!
Regards, BILLS
Unread 04-17-22, 09:49 AM

That amount is not bad at all!
Unread 04-17-22, 02:18 PM

wslade2 is on a distinguished road
Have straight 400. does Mayday rebuild the servos and control head? My whole system is shot. Been too busy with other problems to worry about autopilot and was afraid by time I got to it service might end. Looks like the end is near now that autopilots central is bailing out.
Unread 04-30-22, 11:10 AM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
Gfc500

just stumbled on an article from 2021 talking about twin certification for the Garmin GFC500. That pretty much blows away argument that these newer low cost autopilot units will only get certified on singles. It takes about multiple models of the twin commanche.

Who knows someone at Garmin to see if they'll step up for the iconic Skymaster line.

I'm happy to provide my plane as a test platform.
Unread 04-30-22, 01:59 PM

wslade2 is on a distinguished road
I think I posted the link in some thread in the past; here it is below.

They’re talking out of both sides of their mouth. I plan on going to Oshkosh this year and maybe(?) finding an ear to bend. Not that I’m anything more than a noisy owner. Does lack of adverse yaw and the centerline thrust help them in any way? I’m sure there’s a liability vs profitability equation going on on their side and it would be nice to know the hot button.

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/...twin-comanche/
Unread 04-30-22, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris View Post
just stumbled on an article from 2021 talking about twin certification for the Garmin GFC500. That pretty much blows away argument that these newer low cost autopilot units will only get certified on singles. It takes about multiple models of the twin commanche.
There are only two models of the Twin Comanche, the PA30 and PA39. Those two models represent about 930 airframes.

The Skymaster gets trickier, there are 20 different models across 633 registered airframes. Cessna was always really bad about creating a new model each year. Not Piper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris View Post
Who knows someone at Garmin to see if they'll step up for the iconic Skymaster line.

I'm happy to provide my plane as a test platform.
Here is a list of currently registered airframes by models.

Name:  registered 337 220430.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  39.2 KB

Last edited by patrolpilot : 05-01-22 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Updated registration chart
Unread 04-30-22, 04:44 PM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
Icon factor

I understand volumes needed for commercial viability, but I think mfgs sometimes overlook the great marketing they are missing by skipping our model.
I can't land at any airport, anywhere, without people wanting to come up and see the BumbleBee. Avidyne, AeroLED, and Garmin with the G5s get tons of positive exposure. It's amplified even more by the fact that at OSH and SNF the curious who pop over for a look are even greater numbers.
I can (mostly) get the Navomatic to fly the G5 heading bug, but it would be so much safer to have a current tech a/p... and the mfg who steps up, will be able to get a lot a free press/marketing.

That being said, I was told by numerous mfgs of the newer age a/p that offer them at reasonable cost: the FAA won't let us certify twins, the goal was to offer these low cost models to singles and keep the twins, jets, etc all paying up for the higher margin versions. Market segmentation.

But now I see that Garmin has certified a twin for the DFC500. With any luck, someone will be able to get a 337 field approval on that basis and then we can all fly safer.