Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 01-02-18, 10:46 AM

kragby is on a distinguished road
Anyone have experience "soundproofing" T337P

Like to find out what worked and what didn't. Also cant seem to get clear answer on what is best - fiberglass(in there now), open cell foam, closed cell form, foil with bubble plastic inside, Any experience, suggestions, evidence appreciated.
Unread 01-02-18, 05:38 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
First, you must have a certified material that is STC'd or PMA'd for the aircraft. Otherwise it would be a field approval program. There's not a lot of choices out there. Foams are the wave over fiberglass and there are some products that are supported.

http://www.soundexproducts.com/

Soundex is good place to start, as they have 337's listed. I have this material in my plane and I have installed it in another G model. Did it help? Not really but made me feel better that all the fiberglass was out and it sure is nice to work above the headliner now. Much cleaner neat system but not totally easy to install. They send a template with your sheets of material and you cut to fit each cavity.

Aircraft Spruce has material too but you can buy direct from Soundex

There's some talk on my Complete Re-furbish thread

http://www.337skymaster.com/messages...hlight=re-furb

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 01-02-18, 07:55 PM

kilr4d is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hharney View Post

http://www.soundexproducts.com/

Soundex is good place to start, as they have 337's listed. I have this material in my plane and I have installed it in another G model. Did it help? Not really but made me feel better that all the fiberglass was out and it sure is nice to work above the headliner now. Much cleaner neat system but not totally easy to install. They send a template with your sheets of material and you cut to fit each cavity.
100% agree. Exactly the same experience.
CNC3
Unread 01-03-18, 01:40 PM

Mich3773 is on a distinguished road
Every time an interior panel gets opened, I assess the condition of the existing fibreglass and if required, replace it with Super Soundproofing from Aircraft Spruce.

I've found the 1/2" thickness with adhesive the most useful. A couple of times the 1/4" and 3/4" have been necessary. I've replaced a lot in the ceiling, around the windows, the side walls and the top half of the rear panel.

There's some good guidance in the "Sound-proofing the Light Aircraft" pamphlet by Bill Nash.

Unfortunately, success depends upon the continuity and layering of the soundproofing material, which is difficult to achieve. It's slow, tedious work, but easy. It's a good job for an owner to do with the oversight of a licensed mechanic. I think I've heard a difference with the partial amount done to date.

I wouldn't install foil with bubble plastic without seeing proof of it's fire-resistance. The fiberglass batt is OK, but so .... 1960ish! You want a closed-cell foam that won't absorb or hold water like an open-cell foam. And speaking of water, be on the lookout for the black vibration dampening patches that may be glued to the inside of the skin. If they've seen any water there will be corrosion behind them. They will need to be removed, the surface cleaned and treated with anti-corrosion chemicals.

A weight and balance amendment may be required, and it's easy to lose track, because there are lots of small pieces. Rather than weigh every single piece, calculate the weight you've installed by weighing the un-cut sound-proofing material you bought. Put all the scraps in a bag, and when you're done, weigh the bag of scraps and subtract the weight from the new material. Similarly, put all the insulation you removed in a bag, and weigh that when you're done.

Last edited by Mich3773 : 01-04-18 at 12:19 PM.
Unread 01-04-18, 05:32 AM

kragby is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info. Appreciate the help.
Unread 01-07-18, 11:51 PM

DrDave is on a distinguished road
Greetings:

Sandia is a good option.

Dave