Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-22-17, 01:46 PM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
engine overhaul

got a price from Continental (TCM) at Sun N Fun for a TSIO-360AB engine. Turns out that they don't sell new any more, only "factory remfg", which is a fancy word for an overhaul done under their roof. I asked for specifics on what it set it apart from a field overhaul, and other than "we get to zero time it", nothing special. Zero time sounds nice, but not a high weight factor for me.

When comparing their quote to a couple I have so far, they are a fek K higher, and do not include the turbo.

1) Anyone got a really compelling story to share on why use them versus a field overhaul
2) anyone got a favorite shop or overhauls? My thought is to fly into a shop (geography not as important as quality and value for $ spent), drop it off and then come back and fly away.
Unread 05-23-17, 09:44 AM

AP AVM is on a distinguished road
Interesting post, would like to know if there are shops who overhaul IO-360C/Ds in Canada that do quality work within reasonable price tag.
Unread 05-28-17, 08:23 PM
Ace of the Atmosphere

skymstr02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris View Post
got a price from Continental (TCM) at Sun N Fun for a TSIO-360AB engine. Turns out that they don't sell new any more, only "factory remfg", which is a fancy word for an overhaul done under their roof. I asked for specifics on what it set it apart from a field overhaul, and other than "we get to zero time it", nothing special. Zero time sounds nice, but not a high weight factor for me. .
A reman is more indepth than an overhaul. The reman takes everything to factory new specs where an overhaul takes the tolerances to acceptable, but not new specs.
Unread 06-09-17, 03:31 PM

Mich3773 is on a distinguished road
Brant Aero in Brantford Ontario Canada airport code CYFD offers engine overhaul services. I've used them for avioncs work; they finish on-time and as quoted. With the current USD/CAD exchange rate, this might be an economical option.

The contact is Corey Anderson 1-800-264-6019.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brant.jpg
Views:	965
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	1753  
Unread 06-10-17, 10:24 AM

Corona

Ended up yesterday at corona engines....will pirep as it progresses.
Unread 06-10-17, 06:44 PM

Ed Coffman is an unknown quantity at this point
The advantage of a TCM factory reman is you fly your plane till they ship you your engine and then you send them your old engine. You aren't out of service while you engine is getting built. We have done about 20 engines (skymaster) over the last 14 years. A couple of hiccups but all go easily to tbo and beyond. No cylinders just alternators, starters, starter adapters and vacuum pumps changed.
Unread 06-10-17, 09:45 PM

AP AVM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich3773 View Post
Brant Aero in Brantford Ontario Canada airport code CYFD offers engine overhaul services. I've used them for avioncs work; they finish on-time and as quoted. With the current USD/CAD exchange rate, this might be an economical option.

The contact is Corey Anderson 1-800-264-6019.
Good to hear from you Michelle. I'll call Cory in next week to get information of engine rebuild and a quote for one of the two engines we'll be getting soon.
Unread 06-16-17, 11:53 AM

crankshaf fried

OK, here's the deal...flying along last week and rear engine just shut down. I tried emergency checklist to restart. finally feathered prop and landed fairly quick, since I asn't sure yet why it stopped (and if it was fuel contamonation, thought front engine might be stopping soon).

Anyway, engine is torn down at Corona Engines in Corona, CA....so far pretty happy with Ben, will continue to provide pireps on that end.

engine stoppage appears to have been a small nut on rear of alternator gear that came off and then bounced around, causing oil pump to seize up and starve engine of oil.....

so, crankshaft is fried just enough (at first he thought is was savable, but now it is not)...

I have a couple lines on new and overhauled, but open to any other suggestions for sources...

crank is 653129 crankshaft for a TSIO-360Ab continental engine
Unread 07-11-17, 10:44 AM

JAG is on a distinguished road
Rear engine

rmorris,

About a month ago, you were also having an issue with the rear prop feathering, and you had the governor worked on. Is there any thoughts you have had to see if the two issues were connected - maybe debris was already in the oil and causing governor problems? They may be completely unrelated - I guess I am just always looking to see if there are early detectors of issues.

Thanks,
Jeff
Unread 08-14-17, 07:58 AM

JimC is on a distinguished road
Didn't your prop feather when the oil pump seized?
Unread 08-14-17, 08:21 AM

Engine never seized

Short answer: no

Engine never seized up...in fact could still turn prop by hand next day, and run engine at low idle...just no oil pressure and it cooked pretty good. We didn't know it was a nut, and oil pump came apart internally, so had spent many hours troubleshooting things before finally pulling engine. Almist wonder if more of the core could have been salvaged had we pulled it earlier...but again, no way to know what happened internally so our efforts seemed rational.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: