Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 03-10-03, 06:56 PM

jimmuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to jimmuse
Angry Engine Guage Cluster Repair

I am in need of a repair source for the engine instrument cluster on my '67 337B , which is currently for sale.

I was having a problem with the left main fuel guage. It appeared inop, and the mechanic did everything to test except swap the leads. I was going to pull the panel and check the guages themselves by swapping, but before I got to that, the left aux fuel guage failed.

Subsequently, I was shooting a practice approach into LGB, partial panel, single engine, when I (and my instructor) smelled somenthing hot. We couldn't determine what it was, so we left the plane overnight.

The next day, my mechanic and I went back and could smell the problem, but not where it was coming from. No breakers were popping, nor could we determine even which side of the plane the smell was coming from.

We decided to ferry it back to SNA for further checkup, with me at the controls and my mechanic in the right seat.

On the way, the mechanic was checking one thing and another, and determined that the entire guage cluster was hot to the touch.

Very soon thereafter the culprit sent us a smoke signal to let us know where it was.

A huge resistor on the front engine temp guage ( and perhaps others) smoked and opened.

So I am looking for a repair or replacement option.

Don Neiser is looking, but he doesn't think that he has one like mine (see pix).

At any rate, I want to get them repaired or replaced in the most cost effective and timely manner that I can.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p2282240.jpg (68.1 KB, 1242 views)
Unread 03-10-03, 07:36 PM

stackj is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to stackj
Atlanta Air Salvage
1146 Uniform Road,
Griffin, GA 30224
(800) 237-8832 (From Internet)

Air Parts of Lockhaven
Piper Memorial Airport,
Hangar 3,
Lockhaven PA, 17745
(717) 748-0823 (1995 data)

Both of the above companies have repaired or replaced fuel gauges in our old panel. I think Atlanta Air Salvage sent them out to another company. Cost, as I recall, averaged about $82.50 to $115 per gauge for rewinding or replacement. Unfortunately, they just kept burning up.

There is an AD (70-15-02) requiring a cooling duct be added to the instrument cluster. This duct is attached to a Y connector which is installed in line with the duct attached to the right side radio cooling scoop. Unfortunately, this does not provide adequate cooling air when on the ground.

I replaced the entire cluster with a replacement which I bought from Mitchell Instruments. Take a look at the technical data page of this web site. The download is about 10 MB, but I have had no problems with fuel guages since I installed this unit.

Good Luck.

PS: When you reinstall the cluster, don't forget to reattach the oil pressure lines. I can tell you, from experience, it gets real messy if you don't.

Last edited by stackj : 03-10-03 at 07:53 PM.