Bacon is on a distinguished road
Want to purchase a S-Tec 55X Autopilot

Looking for a used S-Tec 555X autopilot out of a skymaster

Richard Bacon
303-885-2851
Unread 12-12-18, 06:28 PM

cessna337d is on a distinguished road
s-tec

better make sure your avionics shop will install a used one I found one and asked my shop and he said we had to go back to s-tec and get new paper work per your serial number and they would not reuse mounting brackets I would have to buy new ones.
Unread 12-13-18, 10:37 AM

kilr4d is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna337d View Post
better make sure your avionics shop will install a used one I found one and asked my shop and he said we had to go back to s-tec and get new paper work per your serial number and they would not reuse mounting brackets I would have to buy new ones.
This is correct. They MUST go back to S-Tec to be recertified and it is quite expensive.
CNC3
Unread 01-19-19, 02:57 PM
bigcheese

n86121 is on a distinguished road
How expensive?

What are the autopilot upgrade/replacement suggestions....?

I still have a Nav-O-Matic 400B. Amazing to realize that was the state of the art tech that went to the moon in 1969. I have just nursed it along.

As a practical matter, the 337 is so stable it never use it. If I do, the only functions used are altitude and heading hold. Just turn the heading knob until the little arrow on my GPS points to my next fix (usually destination), then HOLD. Done.

What have people installed recently? Any new ones? Installed price ballpark?
Fort Washington, MD 20744
Unread 01-20-19, 10:29 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Garmin GFC-500 when it finally gets approved for our aircraft. Maybe a field approval if you have the right folks to work with.

You will have to install a couple G5's also to make it all work but it will be cheaper than a new S-tec

I have seen a couple 182's do this and it's in the $20k ball park. Not bad for a really nice autopilot and glass. Dump the vac pumps if you don't have inner tubes on the wings

Tru Trac is the only other unit that might be approved eventually. They will also be very cost competitive if not cheaper

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 01-24-19, 11:58 PM

Skymasterdriver is on a distinguished road
Tru trak

The folks over at tru trak claim $ 5000 for the unit and 1500 to install but they need 337 drivers to sign up to show interest in there products and then they will start the approval process.
Dynon is another one that's may seek approval for there glass panel that has the whole gamut engine monitors auto pilot nav all glass. Might be the way to go.
Unread 01-27-19, 12:48 PM

fsnewton is on a distinguished road
Trutrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymasterdriver View Post
The folks over at tru trak claim $ 5000 for the unit and 1500 to install but they need 337 drivers to sign up to show interest in there products and then they will start the approval process.
Dynon is another one that's may seek approval for there glass panel that has the whole gamut engine monitors auto pilot nav all glass. Might be the way to go.
I just watched the trutrak video...looks great. I was debating on upgrading from an stec 30 to a 55x, but it looks like trutrak would give me the same functionality for half the price. I might be interested.

Scott
Unread 02-20-19, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n86121 View Post
What are the autopilot upgrade/replacement suggestions....?

What have people installed recently? Any new ones? Installed price ballpark?
The only realistic choices right now are Stec 55X or Stec 60-2. Once you add in the options for 3 axis and auto trim these are $30K PLUS LABOR...at lot of labor. Factor in the removal of your old system, the usual panel upgrades and a few hidden snags. Budget $50K to be safe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by n86121 View Post
I still have a Nav-O-Matic 400B.

As a practical matter, the 337 is so stable it never use it. If I do, the only functions used are altitude and heading hold. Just turn the heading knob until the little arrow on my GPS points to my next fix (usually destination), then HOLD. Done.
The 400B is actually a GREAT autopilot. If your autopilot holds heading and altitude you've got a very decent starting point.

I recommend reaching out to Bob Weber at Webair Consulting http://www.webairconsulting.com/ Bob Weber helped me diagnose a bunch of stuff and get my servos centered up. Bob is a great guy and also gave me a good understanding of how my autopilot works.

Some roll and pitch issues persisted so Bob had me remove the autopilot control head and the autopilot computer and send them to Jake Kinsey at Bevan Aviation in Wichita. They IRAN'd both computers and fixed a bunch of issues for less than $1k. https://bevanaviation.com/

My autopilot components will be back by mid next week and I'll follow up on the forum once the A&P has reinstalled them.
CNC3
Unread 02-20-19, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hharney View Post
Garmin GFC-500 when it finally gets approved for our aircraft. Maybe a field approval if you have the right folks to work with.
My inside line to Garmin says NO WAY. If anything it will be the GFC-600 and it will be a LONG time if ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymasterdriver View Post
The folks over at tru trak...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnewton View Post
I just watched the trutrak video..
My avionics guy has installed 2 Trutrak units and he won't install another one...he had HORRIBLE issues with parts that didn't fit and/or interfered with control cables, etc.

Garmin, BendixKing, Stec are very expensive but they're proven technology.
CNC3
Unread 08-19-19, 01:19 PM

cessna337d is on a distinguished road
Stec55x

just got my STEC 55x last month installed for 21000.00 I have 2 g5s and a GTN 650 very easy to use had the 400. this unit just take off put in vs 800 ft per minute and heading you now are monitoring everything.
Unread 08-19-19, 01:38 PM

Bacon is on a distinguished road
55x

Has anyone installed a S-Tec 55X on a Robertson STOL, P337?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: