Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-11-20, 05:58 PM

wslade2 is on a distinguished road
Nosegear actuator

While servicing strut noticed small leak in nosegear actuator. Removed it and sent it out for overhaul. Overhaul shop advised needed pins that engage the hook replaced. Same issue as service bulletin for cessna 210, 100 and 200 series retractable aircraft. Old style pin that the hook engages (which holds your gear in the down and locked position) is subject to fracture/failure. There is a new style pin to put in place. Also the spring that is part of the locking mechanism has a guide inside of it. Original guide plastic and if fails, spring can fall out, mechanism doesn't stay locked and nosegear will fold on you (also like 210). Amazingly I had the original 50 yr old plastic guide in place. Like the rest of the plastic I'm sure it wasn't long till it gave out. Something worth looking at. Had everything done. Good piece of mind.
Unread 10-11-20, 07:47 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Where did you source the parts/repair

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 10-12-20, 12:31 AM

Sent the cylinder to Cox Airparts in Wichita. They did the overhaul pins and everything and bench tested before sending back. I asked before sending my cylinder to them if they wanted the hook/pin mechanism to come with the cylinder and they said yes, to test it. Once it got there they advised about the pin issue. Although I sent it for a leak/overhaul, while they had it they updated the hook pin mechanism. Very happy with them.

I was suspicious about my plastic spring guide, that plastic was in such a critical area, and questioned it's age/integrity. Discovered the spring guide issue while combing old Cessna Pilots Association articles where John Frank wrote about it on cessna 210's. I then found service letter for 337's advising the updated steel spring guide.
Unread 10-12-20, 06:02 PM

Multimotor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wslade2 View Post
Sent the cylinder to Cox Airparts in Wichita. They did the overhaul pins and everything and bench tested before sending back. I asked before sending my cylinder to them if they wanted the hook/pin mechanism to come with the cylinder and they said yes, to test it. Once it got there they advised about the pin issue. Although I sent it for a leak/overhaul, while they had it they updated the hook pin mechanism. Very happy with them.

I was suspicious about my plastic spring guide, that plastic was in such a critical area, and questioned it's age/integrity. Discovered the spring guide issue while combing old Cessna Pilots Association articles where John Frank wrote about it on cessna 210's. I then found service letter for 337's advising the updated steel spring guide.
What is the service letter number? We're not supposed to post copies of Cessna's SLs, but that doesn't mean we can't link to their site where they have them posted.
Unread 10-13-20, 07:38 AM

Oh yeah, that's right not supposed to post service letters on the site.

Regarding the spring guide: it is what was then titled "Multiengine Customer Care Service Information Letter" or "Multiengine Service Letter" dated Jan 13, 1984, number ME84-1. Specifically for the 337 announcing the new steel guide and superceded part number.
Unread 10-14-20, 02:10 AM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
The pin you mentioned was also plastic. The new pins are metal. Unbelievable Cessna thought that was a good idea.
Unread 10-14-20, 12:23 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Question Can't find this Service Letter

Quote:

Regarding the spring guide: it is what was then titled "Multiengine Customer Care Service Information Letter" or "Multiengine Service Letter" dated Jan 13, 1984, number ME84-1. Specifically for the 337 announcing the new steel guide and superceded part number.
I'm interested to read this, but I cannot find it anywhere, even on the Cessna Support docs directory page. Its as if it never existed.

If anyone can point to where this Service letter can be found, it would be greatly appreciated.
Unread 10-14-20, 03:18 PM

JAG is on a distinguished road
Hi Mark,
You can find all the publications on Textron Aviation's Service Information website. It is free to get access to it, but if I remember, you have to sign some documents, etc, to get set up with a user and password. If you already have access to this, don't search for the exact document number, just type in ME84, and you will get a list of all the ME84 letters, etc, and it will be there.

https://ww2.txtav.com

Jeff

Last edited by JAG : 10-14-20 at 03:20 PM.
Unread 10-14-20, 05:57 PM

I have an account, but it says "Not authorized to Subscribe to Publications", then it asks me for a customer number.

Way too complicated. I never did see it.
Unread 10-15-20, 11:41 AM

Or, I found it through Google.
Unread 10-15-20, 12:43 PM

TomM is on a distinguished road
Try this link for all the service bulletins. This is for my serial number, but if you change the end of the link to your serial number then you will get your listing:

https://support.cessna.com/custsupt/...erial=337-0361
Unread 10-15-20, 01:08 PM

Multimotor is on a distinguished road
Quote:

https://ww2.txtav.com/TechnicalPubli...Number=ME84-01

You'll probably have to have an account to access.

In a nutshell, the SL announces the availability of the new part, P/N 9882024-1, and says to install with reference to the service manual. List price is $68.14, $61.33 from Yingling.
Unread 10-15-20, 05:52 PM

Thanks, I was finally able to read it.

Can anyone speak to the difficulty level of installing the new part?

I scoured my logs and found no mention of this part, so I assume mine is still all plastic.

I did find out I have the upgraded fuel caps option installed though!
Unread 10-16-20, 01:37 AM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
I highly recommend that if you are going thru the trouble to replace the spring cap, pull the entire actuator out and overhaul it.
Unread 10-18-20, 01:31 PM

JAG is on a distinguished road
Pin Picture

Just so everyone is aware, the new (replacement pin) still has plastic, so you really have to look close before you go pulling this out if you see some white plastic. I have included photos of the new replacement pin - note the guide is still plastic.

Mark, it is not difficult to replace this, but it does involve removing the actuator and downlock. It is not tricky to rig on install, but takes some patience and is a tight area. You want to rig it perfectly too, on install.

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0131.jpg (125.2 KB, 605 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0132.jpg (104.5 KB, 615 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: