Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 03-23-09, 10:48 AM

aldoradave is on a distinguished road
Another Try at Prebuy

Following advice from this board I ran away from the previous P337 I saw last week in Ft. Worth, and am now set for another, this time at Annapolis Md. I have several questions on this one.

This aircraft has 700 more hours than the other 2700 vs 2000 but engine times are less with one being a Mattituck rebuild at 400 hours, and a Reman at 500 hours--both heavy cases and Var cranks. Both aircraft have ancient avionics, but nice paint and interiors. But this latest one has the gear door mod, Horton STOL, and Intercoolers. Both are the same price so all in all it looks like this latest one is a better deal.

First, does anyone have a reference for a prebuy mechanic in the DC area? IF not I may just have to chance it by digging through the log books, interviewing the mechanic who did the annual two weeks ago, and inspection by myself. This will be the 5th aircraft I have bought and I am an engineer, so I am not exactly a neophyte in this sort of stuff and by now know more than a small bit about 337s.

But I do have a question on how best to inspect for corrosion. Are there any special places where this might be a problem on 337's?

Any other tips to look out for?

Thanks one more time.

Dave Dillehay
Unread 03-23-09, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
My initial reaction: you're on the right track. You're focusing on the right stuff: airframe, engines and ADs. Absent special circumstances, I've never felt that "ancient" (but serviceable) avionics is a big deal given the hand-held units now available.

Ernie
Unread 03-23-09, 03:15 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
Hi Dave,

I wish I could answer specifically the questions you ask but I cannot. What I can say is I like everything you say about pouring through the airplane and logbooks and speaking with the mechanic who has been maintaining the airplane. Certainly these are good things that can give you an impression of the airplane and the people who have been operating it. I realize you do not know me so what I say may not be worth much to you. If it is me considering buying an airplane especially in this market and one as complex as a Skymaster, I would do everything you mentioned and then if you still feel good about the airplane, work out a deal with the seller to get the airplane to your shop and let them do a thorough pre-buy inspection. You may even be in the airplane during the delivery flight which would give you a great opportunity to touch everything. Probably all it would take would be a deposit and some 100LL. A little extra time and money up front is money well spent to make sure you are buying what you think you are buying. Good Luck!

Ed Asmus
Unread 03-23-09, 10:50 PM

rhurt is on a distinguished road
I know an instructor who might be interested in flying the thing back with you. May be able to help some with the pre buy since he turns wrenches on skymasters part time. And he's an engineer too. rhurt@ssr-inc.com.
Unread 03-24-09, 09:38 AM

Roger is an unknown quantity at this point
Ask the A&P that did the last annual if he can be "independent" in his opinion about the airplane, and if he says yes, then pay him for a "post annual" review of the aircraft. This info plus your own due dillegence and flight test should be sufficent. However make sure you have your discussions with the A&P, away from the current owner.
Unread 03-24-09, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
I did exactly what Roger is suggesting when I bought my second Skymaster, but let me add one caveat: try to determine if the relationship between that A&P/IA was strictly a professional one or has instead become a friendship. If it's the latter, I wouldn't do it.

I mention it because my A&P has become a close friend and I don't think he could be objective if someone was pre-buying my airplane (he wouldn't lie, but he would be influenced). At the other extreme, I bought my current Skymaster from someone in Columbus, Ohio who had kept it and maintained it for years at KOSU, which belongs to Ohio State University, so the mechanics and chief who had workrd for years on the airplane were employees of OSU. Since like you I am an engineer and had worked for 10 years in jet engines, including records inspections, I felt comfortable and relied on the OSU A&Ps and my own inspection for the pre-buy.

Ernie
Unread 03-24-09, 11:59 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
call potomac airpark
301 248 5720
The owner has a 337, located there.
He can help you find a pre-buy mechanic.
Maybe at his place.

http://www.potomac-airfield.com/
Unread 03-27-09, 03:44 PM

brian is an unknown quantity at this point
Prebuy - corrosion

Dave, when I bought my 65 I had them put in super soundproofing as part of the prebuy / annual process. Good thing because above the pilot seats on the roof, underneath the old factory soundproofing was corrosion. I understand this is often the case with that old soundproofing material. They were able to scrape, sand and repair but I would have had a "moonroof" in a few years ! Other than that it was corrosion free. So... check under the factory soundproofing for sure. Never would have found that in a normal prebuy or even an annual.

I thought there was a list of prebuy items on this website but I cannot locate. You should get the 337 book from this place http://www.skysmith.com/

Best of luck;

Brian
Unread 03-27-09, 05:46 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Given the soft market for light twins, I would look for the best aircraft with the most modern avionics. Buying an aircraft that has been upgraded to new avionics in this market would be like buying new avionics for 1/2 price. Although trying to find the right one with all the features you want at the budget you have settled on can be very challenging.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years