Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-25-03, 07:13 PM

Testpile is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Thinking of Buying a 337

I have always been a big fan of the 337, even though I have never flown in one. I'm finally to the point where I think I can afford and have enough experience to move up. I got my multi in a seneca and have about 12 hrs. total m.e. I have about 275 hrs total. What kind of yearly costs am I looking at. Do I have enough time to get reasonable insurance. What else do I need to know. I have a wife and four kids, they enjoy flying with me and we think this would be a good family plane. Any advice would be appreciated.
Unread 09-25-03, 08:34 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
If you use the Search function at the top of the page, and search for the words "purchase OR buy" in the Messages forum, you will find many messages here on this subject. Also, at the top of the list in the Messages forum is a thread called Annual Costs that will answer many of your questions.

To the rest of the members, it would be great if you could take the time to answer this question. Your responses will be placed in the "What to Look For When Buying A Skymaster" thread, and eventually in the FAQ I am preparing...

Kevin
Unread 09-26-03, 01:16 AM

Richard is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm a family man myself. 5 children. Yep, you read correct, 5. I LOVE the Skymaster. Tried a Lance for awhile. Looked at all the other "affordable" 6 place planes and the Skymaster wins hands down. I wouldn't put my family in anything else. They are reasonable to buy, operate, and fly. If you are somewhat inclined machanically. You can do alot of the maintence yourself. I've got a friend here that is looking to sell his. I have never seen such a well manicured Skymaster. Took him 2 years to paint it. He even painted in places you don't see. Looks like a show bird to me, but no.... he's just picky. 67 337B model. I'll let everyone know what he is asking for it.
Unread 09-26-03, 08:27 AM

Francisco is on a distinguished road
test... Flying is a gift that few of us have, been a parent (3) is another wonderfull gift. I just don't feel confortable puting my children in anything else.

Francisco
Unread 09-26-03, 11:02 AM
Keven

Ditto

I've got two kids and we use ours quite a bit. Plus the thing is just a flat out workhorse. We can load it to the gills. In fact, we look like the Clampets when we travel to Ohio for holidays with all of the kids' car seats, and all of the sleeping bags, toys, games, gifts, bags, luggage, etc. in the back.

Maybe there's an idea for the video archive. . . .

Keven
________
Healthy Relationship Advice Advice

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 05:02 PM.
Unread 09-26-03, 11:17 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
"Come an' listen to my story 'bout a pilot named Kev.."

You gotta send us stills now at least, Keven...

Kevin
Unread 09-27-03, 02:38 PM

hewilson is an unknown quantity at this point
Richard,

Please post more info. about your friend's Skymaster when available. Thanks.
Unread 09-27-03, 03:26 PM

Testpile is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

Thanks for the reply's. Kevin does a great job with this site. From all of the information on this site, it appears that an annual runs between $4,000 and $6,000 a year. What about insurance? What about loading 2 adults, 2 big kids and 2 little kids, any room for the dog and suitcases. We fill up a suburban now. Our annual trips usually involve Jacksonville, Fl. to Johnstown Pa. 630nm. What do you think, can this family live together after a trip in a 337 like that.
Unread 09-27-03, 05:48 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
cargo pod

You will need a cargo pod. The load you present isn't a problem, except for the dog. We take out a seat and put the dog kennel in when we fly with the dog.

Oh, you will need not pressurized, and I am not certain, but perhaps before 73. Ours is a 69, and has 6 seats. The pressurized models only hold 4-5 people. It's prompted by a FAA reg that requires an escape hatch for 6 or more on pressurized planes.

Other than that, no problem. Ours is heavy with Radar, old radios, and we have abt 1500 pounds of payload.
Unread 09-27-03, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Let me try to give you an idea of capacity.

We (wife, 11 yr-old daughter and me) fly our 337G from Miami to a house we have on a Bahamas out-island one hour away. Sometimes for a weekend, more often for several weeks. Because groceries there are limited (not much selection), not as high quality and much more expensive, we tend to take enough food for the stay. On the other hand, we have clothes there and we have a stockpile of non-perishable things like soft drinks. Every single inch of volume inside the plane is always full. It's like a gipsy van.

I think that you will find a need for the cargo pod, given your family size. The 630nm trip is doable without re-fueling if you have auxiliary tanks and your family can go 4 hrs+ without a real potty break. On my 337G I'd put at least 100 gal for 5 hrs of flight at 150 kts. If it had an RT Aerospace cargo pod of 36 lbs (www.rtaerospace.com/Cargo_pod.htm for description), I'd still have 1025 lbs for people and luggage, which appears sufficient for your family. But it will be cramped.

Incidentally, if you look at my post in the "Annual Costs" thread, my annuals are a lot less (typically $2,000 and total yearly maintenance at $3,000 to $4,000). You need to find the right mechanic and do some of the work yourself (particularly looking for used parts), but it's a worthwhile goal.

Last edited by Ernie Martin : 09-27-03 at 06:41 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: