Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-03-15, 11:49 AM

JmG2102 is on a distinguished road
337 for a brand new Pilot?

I first posted this question back in 2013 and got some good feedback, I moved down to the El Paso Tx area and have restarted my flying dream.

I'm almost 52 Yrs old, Lots of book knowledge, Wants to live to a ripe old age flying. Just getting my License through Military flying school. Very interested in a 337( just the looks of the Aircraft make me want to have one) But I will be flying for pleasure with my wife and I. I have read a lot about the 337 series and I think after all of my research that having a 337 (though 2x as expensive to operate and maintain) is the way I want to go. Is this silly to jump into wanting a 337 or should I get stick time on single engine first?

Is there a separate Cert/endorsement specifically for a 337 (Center line thrust)?

Thanks for answering a newbie question!

Jon G

Last edited by JmG2102 : 12-03-15 at 11:55 AM.
Unread 12-03-15, 11:13 PM

Red Air Rambo is on a distinguished road
Hey Jon, I would recommend some 172, then some 182, then a little 210 time before the 337. Not ownership, just checkouts plus a little time to get used to the weight differences. My cert is centerline thrust because I was a military pilot, but I'm not sure they give those anymore. I would just get a regular multi checkout then a 337 checkout. A visit to John up at RTC in Champaign, Illinois would be my final stop and probably be required for insurance. He has the only 337 sim I know of and also is a long term owner of both the P and regular 337.
Unread 12-04-15, 09:16 AM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
Hi Jon,

I'm curious what your total flying experience is but regardless, I will say this....

Prior to buying my C337 13 years ago I had a brand new multi-engine rating with a grand total of 14 hours multi time. My experience to that point was mostly PA28, PA32, and PA24 time with the PA24 being the 150 hours of retract time. That was nearly 1000 hours ago now with the original 14 multi hours still being the only conventional twin time I have and all the rest in the SkyMaster.

The SkyMaster by far is the easiest, most pleasant handling, and just all around enjoyable airplane to fly compared to the others I've flown. I don't want to bad mouth the others as I love all airplanes but my C337 is simply my favorite. Landings are a complete joy with the C337 being so well balanced in pitch as compared to the nose heavy PA32 and PA24.

With proper training, good judgement, common sense, a logical approach and plan to going about it, a solid maintenance resource and money, there is no reason not to fly a C337 if that is your desire. They are great machines and nothing about them requires super human skills to operate.
Unread 12-08-15, 08:26 PM

kbecker is on a distinguished road
I was told that the 337 Sim at RTC broke and could not be repaired. RTC has a similar but not identical 337 sim at their Tampa Florida location.
Unread 01-10-16, 06:08 PM
bigcheese

n86121 is on a distinguished road
Smile Jumping into a 337 from heli and a few hours C152

I had about 500 hours helicopter time. (a personal Enstrom for chasing girls). Then got about 10 hours in a C152, 3 hrs in a C172, then about 10 hours in a 337 w instructors, then bought one.

Went for RSTOL so it would be a close to a helicopter as possible.

Biggest transition was the kinetic energy and power. Compared to a single fixed wing you accelerate a lot faster, things happen faster along the way, and a lot more kinetic energy to manage on descent and deceleration.

And coming from helicopters, that whole thing about lining up with the runway and actually rolling it onto the ground. THAT was pretty scary too!
Fort Washington, MD 20744
Unread 01-10-16, 09:05 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Is there a separate Cert/endorsement specifically for a 337 (Center line thrust)?

I am not sure anyone answered your questions. If you take all your training in a Skymaster there is a Limitation that is stamped on the back of your pilots license that indicates you are limited to Center Line Thrust. It's not an endorsement; it's a restriction. I don't suggest that you achieve your MEL qualification in a Skymaster. As you will be restricted to ONLY Center Line Thrust. Some say that is all they will ever fly. Well, maybe but if I was going to spend the money I would want to NOT have the limitation but still enjoy flying the Skymaster.

Just my suggestion as I been there done that........

As you advance your CFI will guide you to the pace you need to learn. The typical progression is SEL, SEL complex, Retractable Gear (could be ME) MEL and somewhere in between SEL and complex would be IFR

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years

Last edited by hharney : 01-10-16 at 09:08 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: