Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 10-07-07, 09:47 PM

Kent Thomas is an unknown quantity at this point
P337 Question

Has anyone used the rear engine cowling louver mod from Aviation Enterprises? If so have you been happy with the results?
Unread 10-08-07, 09:25 AM

Roger is an unknown quantity at this point
I have always found that if the rear is running hotter than the front, you can open the cowl flaps an inch or so to get it in line. This seem to slow my plane down from an average of 150 to 148. This is then a 1.33% decrease in speed x 150 kts x $4.00@ gallon fuel = a net cost of aprox. $1.06 extra in fuel per hour flown.

The rear louver kit installed seems to be $3000-.

Therein it would appear that you would have to fly your plane aprox 3000 hours before you would receive the first dollar in benifit from the mod.

But they do look cool
Unread 10-10-07, 06:30 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
I agree that they look cool.
I have wondered about them, after sitting in the congo line at some airports and watch my temps go way up.
But then I wonder, what do you do in the winter? When it's -10 F, what happens to the engine? Any thoughts?
Unread 10-10-07, 08:39 AM

Kent Thomas is an unknown quantity at this point
Have not thought about the cold but that could be because I moved to warm climate 25 years ago. If it -10 degrees, I am not likely to be within 700 miles of there. I am much more likely to be in the long line scenario on a hot day.
Unread 10-11-07, 10:45 AM

stackj is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to stackj
I have them and, in my case the engine isn't running any cooler. You have to consider, though, that I also added the air conditioner at the same time. I think that significantly reduced the airflow through the intake scoop. (The air conditioner condenser coil is located in the scoop.)

My typical parameters:

CHT: Front 260 deg f - Rear 320 deg f
Oil Temp: Front 175 deg f - Rear 220 deg f
Oil Press: Front 55 PSI - Rear 35 PSI

Last edited by stackj : 10-11-07 at 11:01 AM.
Unread 06-05-17, 12:32 AM

jcskydriver is on a distinguished road
High rear oil temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackj View Post
I have them and, in my case the engine isn't running any cooler. You have to consider, though, that I also added the air conditioner at the same time. I think that significantly reduced the airflow through the intake scoop. (The air conditioner condenser coil is located in the scoop.)

My typical parameters:

CHT: Front 260 deg f - Rear 320 deg f
Oil Temp: Front 175 deg f - Rear 220 deg f
Oil Press: Front 55 PSI - Rear 35 PSI
I just bought a P337 and it has the intercoolers, I understand that the rear will always run hotter, 175 to 180 F for the front but for the rear its up to 200 to 220F just below the red line but still in the green, is this still too high? I am wondering if I should take the rear oil cooler off and have it cleaned and also have the Vernatherm Valve replaced? Engine has 500hrs on it and sat for a period of time, but not sure if there is sludge in there? I climb at 110-120knots for cooling but still seems high? Maybe the gauge? Thanks John
Unread 06-05-17, 10:31 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
John

Can you provide some more details about the plane you have. That may help to drill down on your question.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 06-07-17, 12:06 AM

jcskydriver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcskydriver View Post
I just bought a P337 and it has the intercoolers, I understand that the rear will always run hotter, 175 to 180 F for the front but for the rear its up to 200 to 220F just below the red line but still in the green, is this still too high? I am wondering if I should take the rear oil cooler off and have it cleaned and also have the Vernatherm Valve replaced? Engine has 500hrs on it and sat for a period of time, but not sure if there is sludge in there? I climb at 110-120knots for cooling but still seems high? Maybe the gauge? Thanks John
It has a TSIO-360-G5B engines and intercoolers. It is a P337G. Hope that helps, if anything needed let me know, Thanks John
Unread 06-07-17, 02:57 PM

rrolland is on a distinguished road
I have a 1973 T337G (P337) with the American intercoolers. I run at around 160 F on the front and 190 F on the rear. Engines have around 500 hours on them.
Unread 06-08-17, 04:17 AM

JamesC is on a distinguished road
I would make sure the fuel pump is calibrated and delivering the correct pph as per TCM SID 97-3 as the acft fuel flow gauge could be wrong ie you could be running leaner than you think. Other obvious things include the intercooler filter and the baffling condition. And the temp gauge. Newer technology is helpful (have an EDM 960) to see what cylinders might be running hot.
Jim
PS. Have the intercoolers and louvers and rear eng temps = front. The only time it got quite hot was once idling on the ground too long with the front engine shut down.