Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 06-19-22, 10:55 AM

pwolfehagen is on a distinguished road
Aviation Enterprises Annual - Required Install of Rear Access Panel?

Hello to all,
I have been lurking for a year and really appreciate all the info on this forum.

Aviation Enterprises will be doing a pre-buy inspection next week on a 1969 T337D that I have made an offer on. The aircraft is out of annual but if things look good the plan is to ferry it back to their shop in TN to perform the annual. Aviation Enterprises is requiring install of the rear engine access panel ($6990) as part of the annual.
I'd love to hear any thoughts and/or experience others have had with this install and how it pertains to future maintenance.

Thanks,
Paul
Unread 06-19-22, 03:20 PM

patrolpilot is on a distinguished road
I think I would only commit to a prebuy, not an annual. An additional $7K for an airplane I don't own yet is truly unreasonable. I bet the present owner is liking that idea.

If I buy another airplane in the future, I will use Savvy Aviation's pre-buy service.
Unread 06-19-22, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the advise Patrolpilot but you misread the post. I have not committed to an annual or the requisite rear access panel install, only the pre-buy inspection. Although, if the pre-buy goes well it appears I will be committing to that in the near future.

The question was specific to the access panel and other's experiences with it. You are in the fortunate position of owning a model in which the access panel was original to the plane. That being said, if your plane did not have the access panel, how miserable would it be to maintain the accessories on the rear engine?

Thanks, Paul.
Unread 06-19-22, 08:22 PM

patrolpilot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwolfehagen View Post
The question was specific to the access panel and other's experiences with it. You are in the fortunate position of owning a model in which the access panel was original to the plane. That being said, if your plane did not have the access panel, how miserable would it be to maintain the accessories on the rear engine?
I understand now. Yes, with maintenance labor costs over $100/HR becoming common, I think it would be worth it.
Unread 06-19-22, 11:29 PM

wslade2 is on a distinguished road
Although at times I have wondered about the advantages of having the access panel, have been able to get along fine without it. Do have to do some more dissembling and contortions than with front engine or other aircraft but not any harder than a modern automobile in my opinion.

On the other hand there’s some folks that won’t work on 337 because the rear engine is difficult. Anything to make it easier to keep your maintenance team might be worth it. Maintenance folk are getting farther and fewer between. Sounds like this is the price of using these guys. What made you pick them versus others (who do not require said door)?

Sounds like the price has gone up a couple grand (like everything); didn’t remember it being that much last time I called them about it.

Last edited by wslade2 : 06-20-22 at 12:37 AM.
Unread 06-20-22, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wslade2 View Post
Although at times I have wondered about the advantages of having the access panel, have been able to get along fine without it. Do have to do some more dissembling and contortions than with front engine or other aircraft but not any harder than a modern automobile in my opinion.

On the other hand there’s some folks that won’t work on 337 because the rear engine is difficult. Anything to make it easier to keep your maintenance team might be worth it. Maintenance folk are getting farther and fewer between. Sounds like this is the price of using these guys. What made you pick them versus others (who do not require said door)?

Sounds like the price has gone up a couple grand (like everything); didn’t remember it being that much last time I called them about it.
Aviation Enterprises is doing an extensive pre-buy so they will have a big advantage when it comes to the annual. I'll know more this week. Pre-buy is Thursday. Thanks for the input.
Unread 06-21-22, 08:36 PM

Jhogan0101 is on a distinguished road
We’re talking about Owen Bell here correct?
Unread 06-21-22, 09:43 PM

wslade2 is on a distinguished road
As far as I’m aware he/they are the holders of the access door STC.
I’ve had no personal experience so can’t say anything about how things are run currently, but I guess I’ll be direct: keep eyes open and tread with caution.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...-case/7136775/

However they do have some potentially useful STC’s (and one to best avoid)…
In their defense, I was interested in one of their STC’s and they discouraged me from it as really not necessary in my case.

Caveat emptor

Last edited by wslade2 : 06-21-22 at 10:06 PM.
Unread 06-22-22, 07:40 PM

Kim Geyer is an unknown quantity at this point
We installed the rear access in our 337E and as a maintenance guy on 337’s I can say it was well worth it. But the kit back @ 2002 was about $2500 I think. And about a day to install