Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 07-04-02, 12:24 AM

Don Hickman is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, I agree that the benefits of pressurization are worth the money it costs. But right now during the summer and the hot, hot weather, I've got my pressurization set for 9,000 ft. Below that I get plenty of fresh air and above that it's cool enough that the reduced air flow caused by pressurization is no problem. I had been flying around with the pressurization set at 1,000 until I finally got smart.
Unread 07-04-02, 01:19 PM

Richard is an unknown quantity at this point
I would have liked a P model, but needed the room. I've got 5 children. Makes it hard to fit into a P. I've just purchased a T model. After loosing an engine over the mountains in my NA model. I'm happy with the choice for a T. Oxygen is a concern, but I think I have an idea. The FBO gets his oxygen from the same place the doctor does. Couldn't you go to the doctor, get a prescription for oxygen and have the bottles filled elsewhere? I rent office space to a oxygen service place. Part of my agreement with them on the lease was for all the oxygen I wanted. I haven't used it yet. How hard are the bottles to remove from the plane?
Unread 07-04-02, 01:36 PM
George M. Amthor, Jr.

GMAs is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down remove the bottles... hmmmmm

Well if your talking about the T series... you would have to first get out the screwdriver and wrenches... and then take the headliner down... which will give you access to the mechanical stuff up above it...

After you disconect the bottles... you can remove them from the rack mounts that they are in... and take them out...

But,,,,,,,

Most of us just take the little cover off the wing thingiee... and hook up the oxygen line to the valve their... its so much more simple... and takes less time too.... smile....

However, their is a catch.... you as a pilot can't fill you own oxygen bottles... yep it has to be done by a certified person... guess they don'want you to over pressure the bottles and have them go boom... inside.. makes such a mess....

So if your going to play with pressure vessels... which O2 tanks are... you should be very careful.. because not only are you dealing with a high pressure... you are also dealing with a rapid oxdiant... that can make a match turn into a blowtorch.... inside a confined place...

Otherwise a good idea...

and by the way..... I was over at Lindy gas the other day.. and watched them fill up the O2 tanks for welders... as well as the medical/avations stuff... guess what the differance is... and whos' is more pure.... GMAs
Unread 07-06-02, 06:56 AM

MikeZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up OXYGEN USE

In the last two years I've been flying my P from upstate NY to Florida. Lots of high altitude legs even here on the east coast. One day I arrived back at base in Kingston NY, and was dizzy, headachy and green.... my shop manager said "hypoxia". Then I re-read by lit and realized that blood oxygen is a function of altitude and TIME.

So I bought the little finger analyzer and a small bottle with cannulas from Skyox. Worked GREAT. I took the same flights and felt as refreshed getting to my desitnation as when I left. I didn't realize how tiring it was to be deprived of oxygen even when I wasn't getting sick.

I get my bottle filled by a friendly medical supply company. THey are not easy to find.

One tip: I now monitor my oxygen level with the finger tester, and sip oxygen when my blood oxygen level drops below 92%. then shut the bottle for while. Works just as well for me, and I can nurse my little bottle through 5 times as many trips.

regards,

mikez
Unread 07-06-02, 12:54 PM
George M. Amthor, Jr.

GMAs is on a distinguished road
Smile Oxygen is nice but....

Oxygen is nice but, don't forget the dehydration part of flying high also... the FAA has a great little presentation on it for first time flyer who are just beginging to go way up their... also if you can find a military base that will let you go into one of their trainging programs... which NASA does allow... they will take you through the trainging on high altitude flying... the same as their pilots... and put you in the chamber to find out exactly how your reacting to lack of oxygen and pressure... you do need a doctors slip to go though... as you have to be in good physical condition... it usually cost about 25 bucks for the supplies and materails... but, well worth it... and the information is great... but, don't forget the water bottle... not coffee...not soda... duha..... and watch the bags of sealed stuff.. as they will pop like baloonnnnssss... due to the lack of pressure way up their... smile... things are different... smile.. GMAs
Unread 05-29-22, 09:43 PM

Joes is on a distinguished road
Pure Gold

These conversations are some of the best ever.
Unread 06-05-22, 02:12 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Wisdom lost

There are several wise and experienced members of this forum who no longer post. They may have hung up their pilot's wings, or possibly even Flown West, but their contributions will always be appreciated by other Skymaster owners.

Regarding oxygen, I've noticed you can buy O2 in an aluminum can with a mouthpiece attached for about $10. I saw them at a local store being sold as a "health aid" but I did the math and you would get about 50-100 breaths of 100% oxygen per can. Its about the size of a spray paint can, not a bad inexpensive option for a supplemental (or emergency) oxygen supply.

I'm not sure when the option became available (maybe all P models?), but my 1978 P337H uses small chemical charges to create emergency oxygen, just like the airliners do. Pull the pin and the chemical reaction begins. Once it starts, there's no way to stop it. Problem is the charges are not cheap to replace, last time I checked I think they were around $400 each!