Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 02-03-23, 06:40 PM

TomM is on a distinguished road
Any engines out there?

Good afternoon all!

Well, here is my situation. After changing my oil in December and doing a runup, the front engine was leaking a considerable amount of oil. I initially thought I left an extra gasket on the oil filter, but after removing the cowl, the top of the engine had oil on it. When I wiped it off, I was face to face with a very large crack in the case around cylinder #4.

Unfortunately, besides being higher time (1550 hrs) it as a non-VAR crank. In speaking with quite a few engine guys the cost to overhaul including a serviceable case and VAR crank, was the same or more than a factory overhauled engine. To further the pain, most said Continental would not accept as a core (although I have sent in a core waiver request just to be sure) which would add $15k to the price.

This is a 337A and not all that special at that. I really cant see dumping in that kind of money so I wanted to reach out to this group and see if someone was hording an engine anywhere. I have reached out to all the folks into skymasters (still waiting on a reply from Don Nieser) with no luck. Working over 2 people that have running planes for sale, nothing yet.

I worked out all the bugs in this plane, and I dont want to start over with another one.

Let me know if anything is out there, even a turbo as many can be converted to what I need.

Thanks much!!
Unread 02-03-23, 08:49 PM

Frank Benvin is an unknown quantity at this point
CHECK OUT BARNSTORMERS SOME PROJECTS FOR SALE

https://www.barnstormers.com/categor...Skymaster.html
Unread 02-03-23, 11:50 PM

Projects

Been there, done that. Those planes have been sitting outside for over 10 years. The pictures they sent me are a sad sight. One has field overhauled engines from before the AD came out, so for $25k I would get maybe 2 cases and a whole lot of scrap aluminum.....The only one there worth the price being asked is mine

I have gone through all the typical channels, hoping someone hiding here might have a hidden gem.

Thanks for the consideration!
Unread 02-04-23, 11:54 AM

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2872...00063795300231
Unread 02-05-23, 08:04 PM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM View Post
Good afternoon all!

Well, here is my situation. After changing my oil in December and doing a runup, the front engine was leaking a considerable amount of oil. I initially thought I left an extra gasket on the oil filter, but after removing the cowl, the top of the engine had oil on it. When I wiped it off, I was face to face with a very large crack in the case around cylinder #4.

Unfortunately, besides being higher time (1550 hrs) it as a non-VAR crank. In speaking with quite a few engine guys the cost to overhaul including a serviceable case and VAR crank, was the same or more than a factory overhauled engine. To further the pain, most said Continental would not accept as a core (although I have sent in a core waiver request just to be sure) which would add $15k to the price.

This is a 337A and not all that special at that. I really cant see dumping in that kind of money so I wanted to reach out to this group and see if someone was hording an engine anywhere. I have reached out to all the folks into skymasters (still waiting on a reply from Don Nieser) with no luck. Working over 2 people that have running planes for sale, nothing yet.

I worked out all the bugs in this plane, and I dont want to start over with another one.

Let me know if anything is out there, even a turbo as many can be converted to what I need.

Thanks much!!

AirpowerInc.com probably has the best price on new/overhauled engines. Other options Commodore Aviation and any of the salvage companies.
Unread 06-14-23, 12:19 AM

Continental's engine core amnesty program is back for a limited time! From now until July 30th, you can exchange your certified Continental Avgas engine for a brand New or Rebuilt factory engine and get 100% of the core value regardless of its condition. For more info on this great opportunity, visit www.continental.aero.
Unread 06-15-23, 02:58 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Here is all the info on the program

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 398
Size:  173.5 KB
Unread 06-15-23, 03:56 PM

Engine update

Thanks for the additional information. Regardless of the core policy, a factory rebuilt engine is over $10k more than I paid for the entire plane. I was interested in the beginning only because NONE of the shops I called could get a serviceable replacement case or a VAR crank and buying them new put the cost of a rebuild higher than a factory rebuild. All but 1 recommended I get a factory rebuilt one.......

After considerable scrounging I did find a -GB engine that was an old rebuild that was never installed. I have removed most of the parts and sent them in to the various expert shops out there and low and behold, all the parts were certifiable with only very minor work. The only real issue has been lead time.....The cylinder shop gave me a cost estimate of less than $3000 bring the cylinders up to snuff since they already had new valves and the like in them, so not much work. But the lead time for that "little work" is 16 weeks! Needless to say, they are the last thing I am waiting on as everything else is back and ready to go.

I hope to be flying it again by the end of July............
Unread 06-16-23, 02:41 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Kim Geyer on this forum had a run-out IO-360 for sale for $8k I think it was. Had to swap it due to 135 regs, but he said it was running great and not using oil. Maybe reach out to him?

Cylinder shops here in Texas would have those turned around in a week or two. I can provide contact info if needed.
Unread 06-16-23, 03:23 PM

Careful on overpromising what Texans can do

Last time I looked at Google maps Pleasanton TX was indeed in Texas and where my cylinders have been for some time.

Its all good, I had to wait for everything else anyway, but waiting for the last item is always a bummer.......
Unread 06-16-23, 08:18 PM

Kim Geyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Sold my engine a couple of months ago
Unread 06-18-23, 03:49 PM
bigcheese

n86121 is on a distinguished road
Salvage

White aircraft industries
Texas air salvage
Etc
Fort Washington, MD 20744