Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 04-12-05, 09:22 AM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool I know I know, different kind of airplane

However the 747 that left the west coast of the USA and had an engine fail and continued on to England, (bad decision), could not make it to it's destination... guy, the old 72 driver...
Unread 04-12-05, 09:33 AM

KyleTownsend is an unknown quantity at this point
I just got back from the CPA Skymaster Systems and Procedures course in New Orleans (It was great, by the way!)

The instructor related a story about a fellow who had the engines overhauled. Around 100-200 hours later, the fellow came back to the shop because he was loosing compression on the front engine. The rear engine was fine. All of the front cylinders were replaced as a warranty repair. He came back again after another 100-200 hours with the same complaint. Again, the front cylinders were shot. Everyone was scratching their head and wondering why. The rear engine was still fine.

Then, it came to light that the fellow was in the practice of taking off, climbing to altitude, and shutting down the front engine. He would make a long cross country flight, then restart the engine, and land.

According to CPA, air-starts are very hard on these engines, especially if they are allowed to become cold soaked at altitude before restart.

If you are considering following this practice, you must factor in the the cost of dramatically shortened cylinder life.

As to the legality of the practice, there was general agreement that it would be perfectly legal under FAA regs. Attempting takeoff on a single engine, however, would not be legal.

Last edited by KyleTownsend : 04-12-05 at 09:36 AM.
Unread 04-12-05, 10:57 AM

Walter Atkinson is an unknown quantity at this point
Kyle:

Ya, know if the guy had simply left the front engine off through the landing, he probably wouldn't have toasted the cylinders so quickly. As you said, in-flight restarts are hard on an engine that has been allowed to cool off.
Unread 04-12-05, 09:33 PM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Certification..

If the 337 is issued it's certification as a twin and all flight tests are done with both running, except for the obvious, could it be legal in the eyes of the FAA?
The Boeing 727 could be (2) engined ferried but not without several things to do. Think they were training department pilots only, secure the inop engine, (no rotation), insure as best as posibile the other (2) would continue to run. Others I am sure that I have forgotten. guy, the old 72 driver...

Last edited by Guy Paris : 04-12-05 at 09:35 PM.