Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 12-07-22, 09:32 AM

andy meyer is on a distinguished road
Educate me on turbos

I am shopping for a skymaster. Several I have considered have turbos. I really do not have a need for them as we are in Iowa and we rarely leave the midwest and rarely will get to altitude to get value out of them. That said, I don't want to pass on a good skymaster (they seem hard to find) only because it has turbos. But to be honest, I don't want to end up with turbos and then regret it. Our most common mission will be 1 or 2hr hops around the mid-west. However, we frequently go from our farm strip to our local airport to hang out with friends. This is all of 5mins in the air max. Another common flight for us will be leaving our farm strip and heading to one of my brothers farm strips. Both of which will be about 25mins in the air (max) and usually only cruising at 2,500 or 3,500' for this duration. Would routine short flights like such be hard on turbos? Can you adjust power inputs to avoid damaging them on flights like such? Overall, if I really don't need them, would I regret them from a maintenance perspective? Do they require a great deal of additional maintenance? Is annual maintenance cost really a big concern? Any help from people who actually have them on their skymasters or have owned in the past would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!