Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 08-13-03, 01:01 PM
Flight Instructor

JediNein is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Tail Boom Strike in 336?

Greetings!

Is there a danger of a tail boom strike in a 336 or any model of the 337s while performing a full-stall landing?

Do any of the STCs such as the Riley Rocket Conversion or STOL kits increase the risk of tail boom strikes?

Finally, what amount of flaps do y'all use on landing?

Thanks!
Jedi Nein
new 336 instructor (once I have the airplane mastered, that is)
Unread 08-13-03, 02:40 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Dear Instructor:

It sounds to me like the 'instructor' needs some instruction. Please consult the HMFIC, i.e., the "POH" (Pilot's Operating Handbook) for the airplane in question, in addition to any STC's applicable to that particular airplane's N-number and Serial Number. With these documents in hand, you should become well versed in the operation and known flight characteristics.

Good luck!

SkyKing
Unread 08-13-03, 08:17 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
no strike

It would be almost impossible to have a tail boom strike, even on a full stall landing, unless you stalled about 30 feet up, and collapsed the gear.

Full flaps for all landings.
Unread 08-13-03, 10:32 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
On one landing in my '65 337, I had just touched down, nose was still in the air, wheel back nearly all the way. I had 3 passengers so CG was about in the middle of the range. Anyway, the airplane suddenly felt like it was overbalancing to the rear - like it was about sit on its tail. I applied nearly full down elevator, and it recovered, and the nose came down (not hard, like it normally would with this control input.) I am *certain* the aircraft was not out of CG aft, because with 320 lbs of me in the front seat, and a 200 lb passenger, getting a 337 out of aft CG is nearly impossible. (Getting inside the forward CG can be challenge.)

Anyway, perhaps it was a gust of wind from just the right direction, at just the right time. Or perhaps, even if I had done nothing, the tail would not have hit, but it felt like it.

When I bought the 337, the previous owner, who flew it for 10 years, told me to watch for this. I thought he was imagining it, until I experienced it once myself.

It may be a characteristic of the earliest models, I don't know. I have never experienced anything even remotely like this in my '73 P337.

Not really related to your question, but as an aside: if you leave a lot of baggage in any Skymaster, with no people in it, be careful during ground handling. You can easily get a tail strike that way. Also, an accumulation of snow on the tail will cause it to sit on its tail, as has been frequently discussed on this message board.

Kevin
Unread 08-14-03, 11:17 AM

Paul Sharp is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, and you need to be careful about line boys horsing the plane around roughly. I had them dump mine on its tail a few winters back when they failed to clean the snow off the horizontal stabilizer and then towed it over a bump. That's all it took and it was on its tail. Cost $3000 to repair (and damage was relatively minor at that). Fortunately the line boy owned up to it and the FBO paid for the repairs.
Unread 08-14-03, 02:59 PM

OSCARDEUCE is an unknown quantity at this point
Per my POH, Instructor with 2500 O2-A time and discussions woth former USAF Duck pilots I land full flap and full stall. Keep the nosewheel off until elevator control is lost. I am careful when fully loaded, my radios are on a rack in the cargo area, but I have never heard of a tail strike. The point about the snow on the horizontal tail is important as the O2/337 has an aft CG to begin with. Be carefull pushing back the aircraft. If you hit a bump it will stand on the tail.
Tom
Unread 08-14-03, 08:41 PM
A&P/IA

FRED-E is an unknown quantity at this point
Tail Strike

While on the ground, you might think of making a set of boom legs and hang them from the tie down loops to keep the tail from striking the tarmac.
Fred N358
Unread 08-14-03, 11:16 PM

Francisco is on a distinguished road
Today I flew to an airport about 90 miles out to shot touch and go's, With the wheel fully aft I could not get the tail to touch.

2 souls aboard full tanks

Francisco

Last edited by Francisco : 08-14-03 at 11:19 PM.
Unread 08-15-03, 12:06 PM

Mitch Taylor is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't apply power before you get the yoke back forward. I can tell you that my O2-A would drop the tail in a flash. The first time I tried practicing a soft field takeoff, I came very close to dragging the tail. Woke me up in a hurry!
Unread 08-15-03, 05:33 PM
Flight Instructor

JediNein is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein
8.9 337/336 time so far (man do they like to leap off the runway!)