Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 02-12-08, 05:17 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Adam Aircraft

Adam (http://www.adamaircraft.com/) has suspended operations, and it looks like it's for good. According to AVWeb (http://www.avweb.com ), the city of Pueblo has attached liens to the building and equipment, seeking payback of $2MM in incentives that it says should be returned.

Last edited by WebMaster : 02-12-08 at 05:19 AM.
Unread 02-14-08, 09:22 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
That is really a shame, nobody wants to see this happen. It sounds like they are really in trouble. So much work, so much time. Gone.

Columbia got a break but who is going to bail these guys out?

When Larry and I walked into the booth this year at Oshkosh it was evident that there was problems. Too bad they couldn't work things out somehow. Maybe. You never know.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 02-14-08, 10:22 PM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll tell you the problem. Build an airplane that only flies about 200kts, but charge a million dollars for it. Oh, and then build a jet airplane that isn't certified for cabin pressurization (flies around 300kts), but charge $2.5 million for it. It is a no brainer. The design could not compete with other proven aircraft...and prices.
Unread 02-15-08, 07:03 PM
Web Master

Your point is well made.
After Herb and I looked at the Adam, we went down to Epic and looked at the LT. It's a sweet plane, 320 Kt cruise, 28,000 ceiling. Looks sharp.

The other point to be made is that they kicked Rick Adam out, who founded it. Seems like the same thing happened at Columbia.
Unread 02-17-08, 09:09 AM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
Adams

It's not product design problems that caused it to fail. They had pleanty of orders. Product problems can be worked out.....it's all about managing budgets and cash flow. They just made a basic management mistake...they took on to much without the ability to pay for it. Those guys operated as though they were from the government. You know, spend and spend more.

Jerry:
Unread 02-20-08, 06:49 AM
Web Master

Adam filed for Chapter 7 (Liquidation) last Friday.

They say they have hundreds of creditors, including the founder, Rick Adam.
Unread 03-12-08, 01:17 PM
Owner 337H N337DC

Dale Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
Aircraft Production

Hi Guys,
Some one from China or India will buy out the company, wait and see. Did you read the latest news. The USA registrations show we have lost 30% of our pilots in the USA since 2002 and have fewer newer pilots registering than China, India and Russia. I just read a report yesterday that 60% of all aircraft being sold are going to India and China including most new business class jet aircraft. Thats why Cessna moved there new 162 plant over to China. Most all manufactoring plants are moving off our shores, along with all the jobs and profits. We are going down hill fast with our presant government pushing the cart. Watch who you vote for this fall.
Unread 01-30-09, 06:55 PM

O. Lynn Justice is on a distinguished road
Adam vs. 337

After the FAA got finished with them, they fell short on range and payload. Except for looks, I still feel that the later model 337's had more to offer when new. We Skymaster owners have to admit that we find our planes attractive because of the engineering concepts. We stick with the practical. There are not many out there that call our Skymasters pretty. I suspect that the only thing that kept the model alive as long as happened, were the military orders.
Unread 01-30-09, 07:05 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
I believe that there has always been Skymaster lovers and this will continue. Aircraft owners are unique and each one has their own tastes. Most all the pilots I talk to always say "oh a push pull, those are neat airplanes" but until you really know the Skymaster you don't have the disease that we have. Once you really understand the abilities and versiticity of the Skymaster it's just a "neat airplane". My dad had his first Skymaster in 1969, it was a 66 model. He owned many other planes around the 2 Skymasters that he loved most; Cherokee 6, Comanche, Cessna 320, C172, and others but his passion was the Skymaster. It was his passion only after he owned the first one. The military was a big part of the Skymaster but I disagree that it was the only thing that kept them alive. Cessna also believed in it or they wouldn't have kept it going for as long as they did. And look at all the different models. Others have traded the Skymaster and have not looked back but there was a good reason for the trade and when you talk to them they still admit that the Skymaster was a great airplane. Please come join us in Branson, May 2009.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 01-30-09, 07:51 PM

O. Lynn Justice is on a distinguished road
I Remember the Comraderie

I really enjoyed being with you Skymaster owners when I attended the Fly-in in 2004. Bonita still thinks I am necessary for the school and it just seems that the fly-ins happen when we are the busiest. We take numerous short trips in Central America when we can bridge some holidays. Then in the summers, while school is out, we cris-cross the U.S. to visit friends, our siblings and our 8 children and 32 grandchildren in the Skymaster. Sometimes I feel a twinge of guilt for having so much fun flying a beautiful wife of 45 years around in the best light twin ever built.