Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 12-20-11, 08:25 AM

cessnadriver is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Thermos bottle type fuel caps?

Hello ALL.
Place where I can purchase new/serviceable thermos bottle type fuel caps?
Part numbers 1426010-2 and -3, 2 each.
Thanks, BILLS
Unread 12-20-11, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Your first two calls, to Don Nieser (405-503-4686) and Preferred Airparts (800-433-0814), did you make them already? More on the Purchasing Parts page of my "backup" Skymaster website at www.SkymasterUS.com.

Ernie
Unread 12-21-11, 06:36 AM

Thermos bottle type fuel caps?

Ernie, I did contact Preferred through their web-site "search", they didn't have any. Haven't contacted Don, will try today.
Thanks for the information.
BILLS
Unread 12-21-11, 09:46 AM

rhurt is on a distinguished road
Bill,

I installed the SK-337-40C kit on my 337C last summer and have at least three useable thermos bottle caps left over. They're worth $50 each. rlhurt@gmail.com.

I bought the SK-337 kit for around $950 and it came with four new fuel doors, fuel caps, chains, fuel opening rings and all appropriate placards. Installation included Pro Sealing and riveting the adaptors in, riveting the doors on, and painting the doors. It took me about 8 hours and it does not require a licensed mechanic.

The main reason I upgraded the fuel caps is because I was tired of losing a gallon or so out of each aux tank any time I flew with them topped off.

Randy
Unread 12-21-11, 02:48 PM

Thumbs down Thermos bottle type fuel caps?

Randy.
Thanks for the reply. I'm new in Skymasters and don't have mine flying yet. If the thermos type leak maybe I should look into the kit? Could you send me a copy of the kit paperwork showing what is involved. Also with the kit what type of fuel cap are included? Are they the single engine Cessna twist type?
Appreciate your help.
BILLS
Unread 12-21-11, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Randy, is your email above correct? Sent you a message and it bounced.

Ernie
Unread 12-21-11, 08:38 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhurt View Post
Bill,

It took me about 8 hours and it does not require a licensed mechanic.

Randy
Installing a service kit like this does require a log book entry and a sign-off by a licensed mechanic. And since the mechanic is signing it off, he probably would insist on doing the work or supervising you, while you do it.
Unread 12-24-11, 02:06 PM

Ernie,

I had my gmail address wrong. It is rlhurt16@gmail.com.

Larry,

I beg to difer with you about the fuel cap modifications. FAR part 43 says a licensed pilot who owns or operates an aircraft under part 91 can perform preventive maintenance on that aircraft. Appendix A of part 43 describes preventive maintenance tasks, including the following:

"(28) The installations of anti-misfueling devices to reduce the diameter of fuel tank filler openings provided the specific device has been made a part of the aircraft type certificiate data by the aircraft manufacturer, the aircraft manufacturer has provided FAA-approved instructions for installation of the specific device, and installation does not involve the disassembly of the existing tank filler opening."

I agree that a logbook entry should be made, like for other owner performed preventive maintenance items.

Bill,

I do not have the installaton drawings for the caps, but they mostly described the correct rotation of the steel reducing rings. The caps themselves are standard Cessna, like I've seen on 150s and 172s.

Merry Christmas Skymaster Owners!

Randy
Unread 12-26-11, 11:14 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Merry Christmas. I saw your posting, but declined to answer in the spirit of the holidays. Christmas is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhurt View Post
Ernie,

"(28) The installations of anti-misfueling devices to reduce the diameter of fuel tank filler openings provided the specific device has been made a part of the aircraft type certificiate data by the aircraft manufacturer, the aircraft manufacturer has provided FAA-approved instructions for installation of the specific device, and installation does not involve the disassembly of the existing tank filler opening."

Randy
I believe, that to install the fuel doors, etc, you had to "disassembly of the existing tank filler opening" (see above) before you installed the service kit. And generally perform the kind of activity that the FAR's reserve for A&P's, and in this case, an IA.
I don't see you being either one of those.
Also, since this is a modification to the aircraft, you would normally have to have a 337 form filled out, but the Service Kit documentation would replace that requirement. You specifically stated that you don't have that documentation. I would suggest you find it, because with out it, the modifications that you performed (though you are not authorized to do so), are undocumented. Might be a problem some where down the line.

Folks, be careful that you do not always follow to the letter what someone here says they did, because it could end up costing you some problems down the line.
Unread 12-26-11, 11:22 PM

We disagree.

To be more clear about the documentation that came with the kit though: I did not discard the paperwork but included it with the logbooks and they are in another town, closer to the airplane.

To be clear about any blog/message board: The information posted therein is just that and is by no means authoritative.

Randy