Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 10-16-16, 02:04 AM

AP AVM is on a distinguished road
Can corrosion be repaired?

As I begin restoration work on AVM, floor is all frosty white on the top surface, one side lower section of a bulkhead/fuselage former is also corroded. Is there a way to fix this issue. Maybe by changing floor board panels?

Couple guys said, due to this issue, I may start looking for another fuselage. I really don't want to go this route as this is the aircraft for me to restore and fly again.
Unread 10-16-16, 04:28 PM

SkyMac is on a distinguished road
I hear what your saying, you may want to spend some time having a good look with a borescope under all the floor panels to inspect in more detail each section to asses the possibility of further corrosion.

There are numerous pathways, two that come to mind are purchase new skins,ribs and sheet metal or purchase a hull to obtain the parts. The hull option might be a direction as you may be needing a lot of parts other than what you see now.

Either way your desire to return this aircraft to flightworthy is admirable, the cost will be considerable, and for that you must be prepared.

Give Don a call at Commodore Aerospace.

Dave
Unread 10-16-16, 05:15 PM

cessnadriver is on a distinguished road
Can corrosion be repaired?

I have 20 years experience in airframe repairs for the US Army's aircraft. First of all is the corrosion very deep? You can remove the corrosion by means of using Scotch brite. If you get down to good metal with the Scotch brite, measure the metal remaining and if you still have approximately 80-90 percent you'll be okay. IF your have the 80-90 percent you can use an aluminum pickle to remove the corrosion then apply an alodine solution to protect the remaining metal afterwards spray entire worked area with ZINC CHROMATE! You'll have to get the zinc from an aviation supply house due to it being hazardous! As for the bulkhead/former your best bet is to replace those items if they are heavily corroded. Follow the maintenance manual in reference to supporting the frame while removing the bulkhead/formers. IT MAY REQUIRE YOU TO REMOVE THE WINGS ENGINES AND TAIL SECTION! This maybe critical so the frame does not deform.
BILLS

Last edited by cessnadriver : 10-16-16 at 05:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Unread 10-17-16, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessnadriver View Post
I have 20 years experience in airframe repairs for the US Army's aircraft. First of all is the corrosion very deep? You can remove the corrosion by means of using Scotch brite. If you get down to good metal with the Scotch brite, measure the metal remaining and if you still have approximately 80-90 percent you'll be okay. IF your have the 80-90 percent you can use an aluminum pickle to remove the corrosion then apply an alodine solution to protect the remaining metal afterwards spray entire worked area with ZINC CHROMATE! You'll have to get the zinc from an aviation supply house due to it being hazardous! As for the bulkhead/former your best bet is to replace those items if they are heavily corroded. Follow the maintenance manual in reference to supporting the frame while removing the bulkhead/formers. IT MAY REQUIRE YOU TO REMOVE THE WINGS ENGINES AND TAIL SECTION! This maybe critical so the frame does not deform.
BILLS
Hi Bills

On my next trip to hangar I will use your suggestion to see how deep the corrosion is. By the looks of it, it only looks on the top surface, but unless I scrape it off or remove it with scotch bite, I wouldn't know exactly. I will post update here after my analysis and test. Thanks Bill.
Unread 10-17-16, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMac View Post
I hear what your saying, you may want to spend some time having a good look with a borescope under all the floor panels to inspect in more detail each section to asses the possibility of further corrosion.

There are numerous pathways, two that come to mind are purchase new skins,ribs and sheet metal or purchase a hull to obtain the parts. The hull option might be a direction as you may be needing a lot of parts other than what you see now.

Either way your desire to return this aircraft to flightworthy is admirable, the cost will be considerable, and for that you must be prepared.

Give Don a call at Commodore Aerospace.

Dave
Hello Dave

I will buy boroscope and a inspectors light to check all the accessible areas under the flooring. I am trying to connect with Don but I think he is away now days.

Thanks for the encouragement, this is what I need the most as moral support for this project. I am thinking about buying a flyable donor aircraft with annual and low time engInes on it, but I still want to go as far as possible to make original AVM flyable again.

Once I've followed your recommendation, I will update you on here. Thanks Dave...