Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 09-29-08, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Re-drafting of Log Book Entries

I am trying to help a friend with a Twin Commander whose log book has a recent, lengthy entry in an English so atrocious as to be virtually unintelligible.

I'm hoping that IAs reading this Forum might tell me the legal and FAA-acceptable way of re-writing this entry.

Can the original A&P make a substitute entry, obscuring the original, perhaps gluing a printed piece of paper with the new carefully worded and easily understood statement on top of the original entry?

Should the original A&P make a substitute entry but without obscuring the original, perhaps gluing the printed piece of paper only along one edge so that it may be lifted to read the original entry?

Should the original A&P make a second entry with same date/Hobbs stating "This is a clarification of the immediately preceding entry to indicate more clearly that the work done was....[put here a carefully worded and easily understood statement of what was done]"?

Any other alternatives?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ernie
Unread 09-29-08, 06:50 PM
Ace of the Atmosphere

skymstr02 is an unknown quantity at this point
You may not obliterate or alter another entry. Reference FAR 43.9, .11.

If the A&P did not perform or supervise the work being done, he has no entry to make.

Sorry but "atrocious" is not a reason to alter or explain an entry. If anything, insert a copy of the work order in the maintenance records, but technically if its not in the logs, it didn't happen.
Unread 09-29-08, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the response. However, it's the A&P who performed the work who is being asked, essentially, to clarify his unintelligible entry. I get that he can't obliterate or alter his own earlier entry, but can he make a second clarifying entry? BTW, there is no work order: the A&P knew of the squawk, diagnosed the problem, fixed it, and made the entry in question.

Ernie
Unread 09-29-08, 09:20 PM

tropical is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Martin View Post
Thanks for the response. However, it's the A&P who performed the work who is being asked, essentially, to clarify his unintelligible entry. I get that he can't obliterate or alter his own earlier entry, but can he make a second clarifying entry? BTW, there is no work order: the A&P knew of the squawk, diagnosed the problem, fixed it, and made the entry in question.

Ernie
He can make the second entry, but do not obliterate the original. FWIW, if you make an erroneous entry in a log, the correct way is to draw a single line through the entry, then make an entry that it was entered in error and sign.

tropical
A&P/IA
Unread 10-03-08, 03:01 AM

Mark Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Splinglish

Ernie how are things, I am an IA, and have seen this many times before. The best and most direct way to solve this is to return the log book to the maintenance person, and have the entry voided and rewritten, with a note to why it was done. All information most be the same, If the maintenance person will not rewrite the entry, a trip down to the local Aviation Safety Inspector, I assure you will do the trick. You must know the Name and A/P number of the person that sined off the work, I hope atleast that is readable, and the system will do the rest. Agen a line through the entry with a note to where the correction was made (IE) page in the book( see page 24 for rewritten entry) and that should be enough to show compliance. CFR 14 43.12 covers Fraudulent entrys (3) covers intent for False entrys so there is not any (Entent) to mislead we are only making the entrys readable.
I hope this will help,
All the best to the Twin Tail Brothers of the Sky
Mark Campbell A&P/IA
T337B

Last edited by Mark Campbell : 10-03-08 at 03:07 AM.