Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 12-21-09, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Special Prices for SOAPA Members on Gear-door Mod and other STCs

Ray Torres, who owns RT Aerospace and is an expert on the structure of our aircraft, was a significant contributor to the engineering work done by SOAPA on the SIDs.

During that effort I had asked him to consider reduced pricing for his modifications for SOAPA members and he has agreed to do so.

Through the end of the year pricing will be reduced for SOAPA members, and the reductions may be extended. You may visit his website at www.rtaerospace.com and contact him directly on pricing at 305.256.7975 or rtaero@bellsouth.net.

Ernie
Unread 12-21-09, 07:44 PM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
post pricing

Ernie,
Always good to hear when someone is willing to offer promotional pricing.

As opposed to each person contacting him and getting different 'negotiated' style discounts, why not just ask him to give you a list of his mods and the special pricing he is willing to extend? Then you could just post that info here on our site.

BTW - I spoke with him during my windshield replacement, and he seems like a nice guy. I ended up buying the STC for center post deletion and am very happy with my decision.

-Robert

PS. If anyone out there has a KLN 90 / A / B / KLN 900 GPS, I can help you freshen up your database. I have some extra database downloads left on my subscription. To take advantage, I must download anything needed by 12/31/09. Normal cost of single cycle update is $110, I will do it for $45. great chance for you to get the current cycle for a fraction of the cost. Drop me an email at rmorris@agsi.us
________
MAINE MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

Last edited by rmorris : 03-12-11 at 12:05 PM.
Unread 12-21-09, 11:54 PM
Administrator

I'll ask if he wants to post a SOAPA price list.

Aside from being a nice guy, he's arguably the most knowledgeable person on Skymaster structures. He was a Senior Structural Engineer with Eastern Airlines when he came across his first Skymaster. From there he developed of all the Skymaster-specific structural STCs (baggage door, removal of windshield center post, landing gear aft door removal). Interestingly, he is also an FAA Designated Engineering Representative (DER) in structures. He has owned and maintained Cessna 337s for 20 years.

Ernie
Unread 12-22-09, 06:52 PM
Administrator

From Ray:

Gear Door Deletion Kit STC - 20% off list
Baggage Door Retrofit STC (non pressurized aircraft) - 20% off list
All other mods - 10% off list price

Ernie
Unread 12-22-09, 08:40 PM

rick bell is an unknown quantity at this point
he is a straight shooter. my vortex generators were ground off on a belly in and ray was
gracious to provide the clips and no charged and even mailed then. have not experience that from any other supplier and doubt anyone else has.
Unread 12-24-09, 06:26 PM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
VGs

Rick,
I looked around his site and could not find VGs, can you provide a url that shows where RT Aero provides them?
-Robert
________
Bongs

Last edited by rmorris : 03-12-11 at 12:05 PM.
Unread 12-24-09, 10:22 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
The VG's that Rick is referring to are part of the stol kit. They are mounted to the rear lower cowling below the prop.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 12-25-09, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Minor correction: the VGs are part of the gear door removal kit. That mod leaves the aircraft with open holes near where the wheels retract, and the VGs smooth the airflow in that area, near the rear lower cowling below the prop.

I don't believe RT Aerospace sells a stol kit.

Ernie
Unread 12-25-09, 07:07 PM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
RT aerospace

I ventured over to his place of business some 15+ years ago for some information, don't

even remember what it was for. Ray was ever so gracious and helpful. It just so happened

that it was his Mom,s birthday and he invited me to the birthday party! His Dad showed me

some of his model aircraft. A Beech C45 I think, and a 337 with a landing gear that

retracted! Some things one never forget. guy, the old 72 driver....
Unread 12-25-09, 10:49 PM
Forum Administrator

Well if I remember right the Horton Stol comes with the VG's on the lower rear cowl. I am not doubting that the gear door removal uses them too but 2JF had the VG's with the Horton Stol before I removed the gear doors.

Someone else jump in here and help me on this one................

Unread 12-26-09, 12:13 AM
Administrator

In this thread, Rick Bell talks about getting the VGs from Ray Torres at no charge, and then RMorris tells us that he can't find VGs in RT Aerospace's web site. I simply clarified that the only VGs RT Aerospace supplies are those that come with the gear door removal kit.

Ernie
Unread 12-31-09, 12:10 PM

tkirklindale is on a distinguished road
my first 337:0

hi my name is Tommy Kirk. i bought a 1965 337 A 1 yr ago this November. WOW what a yr i am an A&P mechanice but havent ever worked on a 337 or flown one but i realy like the aircraft and wanted one real bad so one day on eBay i saw one i could aford so i went to look i did a pre buy on it and new it was going to need a lot of work. it was left in a hanger for over 14 yrs i pulled here out and spent a week getting it ready, from mags to fuel pumps, hoses so on so fourth...... basicly did a 500 hour rebuild/ inspection engines had been pickled to some point spent about $6000 getteing ready to ferry pulled her out hit the boost pump up went the fuel flow hit the starter cough spit bang and to life it came ran it for an hour mag check all good went to the front same cough spit bang and to life it came. ran even better than the rear or it sounded better. so i took off and flew it in the pattern for an hour landed refueled and departed for a 5 hour VFR
flight to texas. was uneventful , since then i have replaced all hydraulic lines and swung the gear and rebuilt the front prop replaced the rear prop another $9000 finally my IA said it is ready to be signed off .i have in parts alone $15000. so any way, the reason for my letter is every body is telling me that i am wasting my money and the 337 takes a lot of work to maintain i have lost confidence and gotten very discouraged in the aircraft. i only paid 25k for the plane. i added all the receipts up i have 42k in the aircraft. it has 3400TT and 400TT on both engines but they are over 10 yrs old all compression is 75. oil pressure 75 on front 50 on rear at running temp. avionics are 1985 junk they work that's all. but the aircraft is very solid and i am asking your opinion should i cut my loses or should i finish the plane i figure another 30k to finish the plane like i want it with new avionics and paint i can paint it my self its what i do so
that's not a problem please enlighten me i really have liked the 337, i am even hearing it from my wife she think it is the ugliest plane she ever seen. i haven't flown it anymore than 2or 3 hours and as soon as it gets signed off . I'm going to fly it a lot before i spend any more money on it and make sure the engines are going to hold up. any suggestion on that. what a journey this has been! i really believe this would make a great plane once completed. any help and advice u could give would be much appreciated. thank you for listening to my rant. the only issue i have is the right aux fuel gauge does not work and the cessna 400 auto pilot does not work i found a shop Gulfport avianics in FL they priced me a 430 /330/and g106 and audio pnl for $17500 instaled. any know where to get it cheaper.. sincerly lost and confussed
Unread 12-31-09, 04:21 PM
Forum Administrator

You are preaching to the choir on this website. Most of us (98%) have the bug and love the airplane or we would not be here. I think it's the greatest aircraft in it's class that has ever been built. Most women really like them too because they are safe, visibility is great from the cabin, easy to enter and exit, comfortable, etc. I can't imagine doing what you have already accomplished and give up. You obviously must have some passion for the Skymaster or you wouldn't be were you are today. Don't give up now, push on.

Here is the only real problem I see, you going to have $75K into a '65 A model and in today's market you can buy a nice late model for that kind of money that already has what you want in avionics. But you're already into this one so keep it up and make it the airplane you've always wanted. It is the greatest airplane you will ever own.

Let me make a BIG suggestion, you need to read this message board. There is so much info here that it will help you make the decision. You can search any topic and remember this site goes back to 2001. Then plan to attend Sun N Fun this year in Lakeland, FL April 13th for the SOAPA meetings. You can see, hear and talk to owners from all over the country.

Unread 12-31-09, 07:39 PM
Administrator

I second Herb on both keeping the airplane (in part because the alternative of selling it will probably result in a BIG loss) and searching this Message Board on the remaining issues.

Prior messages will tell you that:

1. It may be way cheaper to repair the autopilot (most of the time all it takes is changing leaking capacitors), and the 400 is a good unit once repaired. It's not easy finding a shop that still repairs them but they exist, and the device is split into two boxes that can be removed from the aircraft and sent out.

2. It may be hard/costly to repair the fuel guages, in part because a special instrument to do it is hard to find (although yours may have non-capacitance sensors, and it may be easier), and while I don't recommend it, there are owners who've given up and carry a calibrated dip stick (since, even when they're working well, it's recommended that you always do a visual check).

3. The new Garmin Aera products and the wide availability of used modern avionics from shops who've removed them from airplanes that have gone glass offers the possibility of getting comparable performance to what you're considering at big, big savings.

Just food for thought.

Ernie Martin
Unread 12-31-09, 09:32 PM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
If you own the airplane then it isn't worth selling at today's market. However, if you have a loan on it then it might be worth letting the bank repo it.