Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread
Unread 12-12-13, 03:59 PM
bigcheese

n86121 is on a distinguished road
Insurance

Anyone interested in trying to put together a group rate for Cessna 337s?
There used to be one a thousand years ago through the predecessor to this online group.

Maybe we should have another section under the headings called "insurance?"

People could share information about rates, underwriters, handling etc.

Thoughts?

Oh Mighty webmaster, can you add an insurance heading under resources and let's see what happens?

BTW Travers Insurance has given me good rates and great service when I've needed it.

D
Fort Washington, MD 20744
Unread 12-12-13, 05:14 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
David / all

My insurance rates have continued to lower over the last several years. I would think that in today's very competitive market there is not a lot of room for more discounts. I could be wrong but that's my thoughts. I used Travers in the past and they are a great company. I have now switched to EAA and just renewed for a second year. Best price I have ever had and the services offered are better. Saved money and got a better policy. I know that there are several threads dealing with insurance if one is to use the search feature. We can start a new one here if everyone is interested in premiums, policies and coverage.

Anyone interested? David, you can PM me if you are interested in my current deal

Here's the latest specifically on costs http://www.337skymaster.com/messages...ight=insurance

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 12-12-13, 05:15 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
I would consider this. I just paid my insurance bill in October 2013. My policy currently is valid until 10/23/2014. I paid $2268.00 for $1,000,000 coverage with limits of $100,000 per passenger. Hull valued at $90,000 and $0 deductible.

Ed
Unread 12-12-13, 05:23 PM
Forum Administrator

$2,054.00
1,000,000 Liability
100,000 each pass
5,000 medical
0 deductible
$75K hull

Unread 12-12-13, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Ed, who is your carrier? And Ed and Herb, are both of you IFR? When I made insurance inquiries over 10 years ago, there was no decent rate for VFR-only pilots, which I stll am (in Miami IMC is ALWAYS thunderstorms, which I won't fly in even with IFR, plus I'm retired, so if weather is IMC I go tomorrow). Now I have 15 years and 1200 hours, all in Skymasters, without accidents, and wonder if I should apply again. Anyone with VFR and coverage, can you tell us what you are paying.

Ernie
Unread 12-12-13, 08:32 PM
Forum Administrator

yes, IFR, give EAA a call. Can't see how that should matter with your hours. Are you a member?

Unread 12-12-13, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Not a member, but I'll check with them.

Ernie
Unread 12-13-13, 12:00 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
Hi Ernie,

I use a broker out of Elyria, OH. His name is Tom Dus, 44050 Russia Road, Lorain County Regional Airport, Elyria, OH 44035, phone 800-545-3262, www.skysurance.com. The underwriter is AIG Aviation/Chartis. This changes from year to year depending on who offers the best deal. His fee is usually $50 if I recall correctly. All underwriters are always "A" rated.

Yes. I am instrument rated with an ATP rating. Like you however, I only fly in VMC. I may occasionally file IFR if the TFR's are an issue for the flight but this is rare. My TT is about 2500 with 850 in C337. The insurance companies have always made a big deal about being instrument rated which I always thought was silly. As if possessing the rating makes you immune to the Wx. My experience looks decent on paper to the insurance folks but rest assured Ernie, it has nothing to do with the level of risk that the insurance companies are accepting by insuring me and my plane. You will never convince them of that though.

Hope this helps.

Ed
Unread 12-13-13, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Thanks, Ed.

Ernie
Unread 12-30-13, 08:04 PM

brian is an unknown quantity at this point
Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Martin View Post
Ed, who is your carrier? And Ed and Herb, are both of you IFR? When I made insurance inquiries over 10 years ago, there was no decent rate for VFR-only pilots, which I stll am (in Miami IMC is ALWAYS thunderstorms, which I won't fly in even with IFR, plus I'm retired, so if weather is IMC I go tomorrow). Now I have 15 years and 1200 hours, all in Skymasters, without accidents, and wonder if I should apply again. Anyone with VFR and coverage, can you tell us what you are paying.

Ernie
I still do not have my IFR. 480 TT, 250 ME (in 337 only), quote was $2880 in 2009 for $45k hull, $1MM liability. I quite carrying insurance as I was not flying much since that time. This was from Airsouth Insurance of Dothan Alabama.

Brian
Closed Thread