Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 05-31-23, 07:09 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Fuel System Question

My right wing tip is slightly lower than my left wingtip when parked on a level surface. Plane has always been this way so I never gave it much thought.

Went out today to do some minor MX and I fired up the engines afterwards. Engines ran fine, but I noticed my front(left) tank was reading EMPTY and my right (rear) tank was reading FULL.

When I parked the plane a few weeks ago it had half tanks in both wings.

Fuel selectors are both in the normal position. I generally don't touch them.

I shook the wings and heard very little splashing on the left side, but the right side sounded full. So I'm assuming the fuel gravity flowed from the left wing to the right wing.

Looking at the fuel system, the only interconnects are the fuel selector valves. Is it possible that I have a leaky fuel selector valve that is allowing fuel to gravity transfer between tanks?

If this is the case, I'm afraid to fill the left side as it may just drain out the vents on the right side.

Should I be turning off the fuel selectors after each flight?

Anybody have any wisdom to share?

Kim Geyer?
Unread 06-01-23, 09:27 AM

TomM is on a distinguished road
Mine will do the same thing between the main and auxiliary tanks on the port side. The other side is fine. I know mine is because the valve leaks and it does so in any position so I am sure I have a bad o-ring or maybe some corrosion on a ball or 2.

Interestingly enough, my plane also sits starboard side low so when I am done flying I have to make sure the aux tank is half full or less, otherwise the fuel will go out the aux tank overflow. Not a problem when flying weekly, but when it sits for extended periods in the winter weather, then there is the potential to lose fuel
Unread 06-03-23, 12:39 PM

wslade2 is on a distinguished road
Ditto. I had fuel seeping from one tank to the other. Valve wasn’t providing positive shut off of tanks. I also couldn’t get shut off during fuel strainer servicing. You can try draining your fuel strainer with valve in off position. If it continues to dribble, absolutely your valve is not closing off a tank. I’ve posted here how to rebuild valve. I’m an E model with main and aux tanks. The G and later models have simplified fuel system. I might guess the valve made by same people? And therefore what I posted applies to those as well. Could never find anyone who would service them.