Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Parts For Sale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 09-12-05, 08:36 PM

Alfonso is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Need Rear Cowl Flap Motor For C-336

I just purchased a 1964 Cessna 336 Skymaster, which had many overdue maintenece items. I need the rear cowl flap electric motor, part # 1452506-1, either operable or as a core. This airplane has been flown for at least the past 18 years without the rear flap electric motor, having it being screwed in a fixed full open position. Can any one suggest if any damage was caused to the rear engine by being flown in this manner? Please anyone email me at fiestair@erols.com or call me at 301-934-5656 or 202-309-3969 with any information or lead where I may find one motor at a reasonable price. Thanks a million. Alfonso.
Unread 11-18-05, 02:48 PM

J.T.Grant is an unknown quantity at this point
Dear Sir,
I own and fly a C336 and offer the following.
The rear engine will run at least warm if not hot with the rear cowl flap closed in the cruise. Additional cooling is never a problem unless you are unable to keep the oil hot enough to boil of the moisture or if you allow shock cooling to occur.
The rear cowl flap on the 336 is prone to failure, normally due to a seized follow up cable. Were the cowl flap be failed closed and you were single engine on the rear it WILL OVERHEAT. The speed loss from having the rear cowl flap open is approx 5 KTAS so unless you are looking for max range it will have little effect.
I suggest that the better route is to install the mechanical cowl flap system from OWEN BELL at AVIATIONENTERPRISES.US
Do maximize cooling by using good silicone seals and ensuring that all possible are leaks in the baffling panels are closed off.
Regars
James T Grant S/N 336-0145
Unread 12-28-05, 02:48 AM

Alfonso is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up G.T. GRANT THANK FOR YOUR MESSAGE

Thank you for your reply. I bought a C336 in the Summer, and it still is in the shop. Hopefully soon I will get to flight it, and your advice is more than welcomed. Thank you.
How to prevent the cable from jamming?
What to do if it fails while in a trip?
Any advice again will be very much appreciated. Thanks. Alfonso. Fiestair@erols.com - FAX: 301-934-2111