Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 09-05-02, 09:49 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
speed

I notice that my skymaster is slower than others. I have a 69 337D. I never get 169 Kts. I have de-ice boots, and remember Kevin saying that those take about 10-15 mph off of cruise. Also, I have the Radar Pod, and that has to take some more off of my speed. Do other people with boots notice that they are slower? Does anyone have a feel for how much speed we lose from the Radar Pod? I won't remove the Radar Pod, and the boots are old. Will replaceing/refurbing the boots improve speed?
Thanks
Unread 09-05-02, 04:53 PM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
larry

put "slick 50" on your boots. It should go faster <G>

I get "close" to book but I do not have a bug smasher hanging from my wing...

Seriously I don't think that boots should cut anymore than a knot or two off the top end.

There is a great product called "Tiger boot" which is a liquid that goes on the boots. Works great. keeps them shiny and few bugs adhere to them.

btw I had icing at 14k ft over upper new york. Winter is coming.

You should make book "downhill".....

Bob

Last edited by Bob Cook : 09-05-02 at 04:56 PM.
Unread 09-05-02, 05:05 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
ice

I know about ICE, Bob. Remember what I wrote last year, accumulating air frame ice. Boots are the only way to go.
Unread 09-05-02, 07:32 PM
Jim Rainer

Jim Rainer is an unknown quantity at this point
SPEED

I assume you are talking about a normally aspirated 337D. I have a '76 337G, normal, and get about 155 knots regularly (I file 155K for IFR). I have -boots but no pod. I fly full throttle at 7-9,000 with 2400 to 2450 RPM and about 19-20 gph. I'd be happy with 160K!
Unread 09-05-02, 09:53 PM

Don Hickman is an unknown quantity at this point
Larry,

I routinely get 170 kts true above 14,000. That's running 57% power (27" and 2400). At FL180 I'm supposed to be getting 10-15 more than that, but I never do. Maybe I need some of that Slick 50 on my boots!

Today I flew to Atlanta and got 170 at 16,000 and 165 coming back at 12,000. Tailwind going down so groundspeed was good but headwind on the return so 150 groundspeed. Bummer.

And just so you'll know that I still don't have the gremlins out of my plane, the HSI failed mdway down. Coming back I was solid IMC for about 20 min until I got through the cold front in northern Georgia. When ATC was giving me radar vectors around the traffic it was a wild guessing game as I watched the compass bounce. Gotta get one of those portable Garmins with the HSI display.
Unread 09-06-02, 05:15 AM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Tiger Boot

Hey Bob,

Let's have the scoop on Tiger Boot... I did an internet search but couldn't find anything. Is it silicone based, how much is it and in what sizes?

And I DO hope you were just kidding about putting Slick 50 engine oil treatment on the rubber... not good.

SkyKing
Unread 09-06-02, 09:15 AM
Owner 337H N337DC

Dale Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Speed

I have the H model normally asperated with boots and agree. I get 155 knots. I normally cruise at 24 on manafold and 2400 rpm under 5000. Above 6000 full throttle only gives me 22 on manafold and drops off fast as I go higher. Fuel burn on my shadin I set for 10.5 to 11.0 per hour each.
Unread 09-06-02, 03:28 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
N337DC

Dale,

I went back through the posts and took another look at your bird... NICE JPEG that maybe Kevin should post in the picture section! Wondering how much restoration work you did to get the paint so shiny and sharp after the plane came over from Sweden?

Also, what are you using on your de-ice boots?

SkyKing
Unread 09-07-02, 01:56 AM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
Skyking

Slick 50......... give me a break....... <G> no no no....

Tiger boot is silicon based. I found it at the pilot shop at OWD. Seems to work really well and bugs do not adhere to it anymore.

Took off in moderate rain Sunday and the new paint job on the props look a little worse for wear. As Don says "bummer". Guess no way around it and I used the rear and brought the front engine in at 35 knots.

Found that orange hand cleaner seems to work great getting the grunge off the bottom where the exhaust hits on the front engine. Clean it off with simple green afterwards. Guess what I did all day.

I will get the information on Tiger boot off the bottle when I go back to the AC.

BTW I flight plan for 160 knts and seems to be very close (at 10k ft)

Bob
Unread 09-07-02, 08:44 AM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

Larry,

I am looking at my POH, 1977 337G. In order to get more than 157kts on a std day at 8000' I would have to go beond 2400 rpm at 21 in. the book says at 2500 rpm 162 kts. and at 2600 rpm 166kts. I never cruise at the higher rpms. To me it sounds and feels good between 2350 and 2400 rpm, it will true out between 150 and 155kts depending on the load and flight conditions and (she) has boots. Guy, old72driver....
Unread 09-09-02, 02:53 PM
Owner 337H N337DC

Dale Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Answer to Skyking Questions

I think it would be great to see my bird on this site.
The answer to your other questions. I use the B.F. Goodwich boot treatment. Age Master & Shine Master. Makes the boots look great & makes them last longer. At least I hope so. Those two products are not cheap. I payed a total of $110.00 for the two 1/2 quart bottles.

The other question as to improvements in the last 2 years.
Strip & paint everything - new plastic fairings, with 4 plastic tail tips. That included clear coat. All new interior- 6 seats, carpet, head liner, side panels, air-step door covered, & center console covered. All done in 3 colors. Rebuilt nose strut, shimmy dampner, new starter gear assembly,1 front & rear muffler replaced, brakes & rotors, new stall warning, main gear door deletion, new rear prop feather acummulator. New instruments- King 150 color GPS,Garmin 295 portable color GPS, Shadin fuel Monitor, Gem 1000 engine monitor, 200 air traffic alert system . Plus a lot of gear & baffling work. Everything is now right if the voltage regulators settle down & I can get the blinking lights stopped.