Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 09-15-02, 03:37 PM
George M. Amthor, Jr.

GMAs is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Gas strainers... PART DUX

I have gotten 3 emails to my shop about gas strainers... seems that after the last posting some of you are out checking... good.. glad to see it.. but, some are coming back with horror stories that should be posted here on the web... instead of sending them to me... and while I feel honored to get mail... I think the rest of the group would benifit too.. form their experiances... and have asked them to come over and post it here .. probably under this heading.. if they want... then when it calms down all can be consolidated into a single issue.. and kept for the master file on action items... as I don't think many people are keeping them as print outs anymore... from the comments we get about items we have already covered... such as boom bounce and why it happens.. etc.. alternators and regulators... etc...

By the way.. I am working on getting some of the mauals into a format that can be repreduced... on the computer... some are out of print now and won't be coming around again... such as the ones on the old starters....

On another note... globe motors told us the other day that we could not use their motors or any part of their manufactured items as a sub for the cowl flap motors that were original on the skymasters... they said that they did not want to become a vendor which could be sued or have anything to do with avation... globe makes a geared motor which is a lot cheeper than the cessna MEC motor... but, it works at a faster speed RPM by a little ... they manufacture for the military and so does TRW... but,they get their gears and motors from the same vendor... which will not sell to us either... however they do have parts... for everything except the mag clutch for the rear cowl flap... However they did suggest to check the surplus market.. as then they are not the direct sales people... and would be happy to help with the parts so long as they don't know they are going into a aircraft other than military or commercial... however the MEC motors are not interchangable... nor are the mounts... but, hey don't we have some engineers out their that can help... with this problem... maybe looking overseas might be the answer... to the high cost of cowl flap replacement motors... if enough are needed... someone said that the ford windstar rear window motor has a gear reduction about the same as our cowl flap motors... and with them being used on cars.. should have a large manufacturing base... I would think with all the new auto gadgets that are coming out.. on cars.. something might fit in place of our helpless cessna motors... at a reduced price...too... smile

Ok lets hear these war stories about he gas corralators/strainer... whos next... GMAs G.M>