Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-12-19, 09:30 AM

YankeeClipper is on a distinguished road
Gap at wing root

Hi all.

When recently inspecting a prospect, I noticed a pronounced gap at the front of the right wing root. I can't honestly remember if I saw the same for the port-side. It runs about 2 ft from the leading edge-back, and is about an inch wide. The rest is pretty much a good seal. Attempting to attach a photo...

Not sure if this is unusual, but even if it is not a sign of damage or failure, can water get in and cause damage? If not unusual, what's involved in replacing that seal?

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wing-root.jpg (821.6 KB, 1043 views)
Unread 11-12-19, 09:59 AM

JAG is on a distinguished road
Wing Root Gap (pic attached)

What year is the aircraft (1968?)? My 1966 has a fairing over the gap, with a small rubber channel on the edge that goes against the fuselage. This is the same set up for C337s up to 1973. I can't quite tell from your photo if it is only a rubber seal between the wing and fuselage, so I cannot tell you if there is a problem. The fairing could be homemade, damaged, etc, so the only way to tell, is to remove it and look at structure to determine if there is a problem.

Regardless, anything that fills the void between the wing and fuselage is primarily for aerodynamics. The fuselage penetrations would be normally sealed where any fuel lines or wires go through. It is best to have a great seal on that fairing as the more moisture you can keep out of that area, the better. You have some flight control cables and attach fittings that you want to keep dry. Typically those rubber seals on filet fairings are easy to replace. New seals are available from various suppliers - use a little contact cement or Gorilla Glue (my preference) to glue on fairing.

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wing Root Fairing.jpg (388.9 KB, 881 views)
File Type: jpg Seal.JPG (65.6 KB, 899 views)

Last edited by YankeeClipper : 11-12-19 at 10:06 AM.
Unread 11-12-19, 02:37 PM

Thanks Jeff.

This one is a '69. There is a fairing, but my shot is too close up to tell. Glad to hear the seal is an easy replacement. Guess we'll have to inspect inside when we replace it (if there's visibility. Do you have any particular sources you like for that sort of thing?
Unread 11-12-19, 08:30 PM

Kim Geyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Our 5 sky masters use a h shaped seal which will fill the gap better than a u shaped
Unread 11-12-19, 09:39 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeClipper View Post
Hi all.

When recently inspecting a prospect, I noticed a pronounced gap at the front of the right wing root. I can't honestly remember if I saw the same for the port-side. It runs about 2 ft from the leading edge-back, and is about an inch wide. The rest is pretty much a good seal. Attempting to attach a photo...

Not sure if this is unusual, but even if it is not a sign of damage or failure, can water get in and cause damage? If not unusual, what's involved in replacing that seal?

Thanks.
These wing fairings have oversized holes that allow the fairing to be positioned against the fuselage. It's not as easy as it looks, and when done in haste without technique this is the outcome. Yes it needs a new rubber channel and that would also help to allow the fairing to lay flat. The rubber turns to plastic and doesn't form too good. These are tell tale signs of not taking care of our birds. Be careful and proceed with caution doing the pre-buy

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 11-13-19, 08:46 AM

Extremely helpful Herb. That might explain the uneven, changing gap size along that seam, which was my biggest concern.

Noted on telltale sign. It has been hangared since 2011, and possibly before. So critters and weather incursion were hopefully kept to a minimum. I dragged my IA down from CT to pre-buy it where it's parked in VA. It went better than we expected, but we expected the worst. Ran surprisingly well, at least on the front. Ironic, given that the front has close to 900 hours and a (light) prop strike; whereas the rear has 100 hours, but failed to provide adequate fuel flow to start and/or run without continual boost.

-Gray-
Unread 11-13-19, 09:53 AM

patrolpilot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hharney View Post
These are tell tale signs of not taking care of our birds. Be careful and proceed with caution doing the pre-buy
So true...
Unread 05-24-20, 02:42 AM

Was wondering if anyone might know where I can find these seals. As best I can tell, these are S202R in the 65-69 manual, but the diagram is a bit vague for the wing root. If so, I can't find this by googling.
Unread 05-24-20, 05:34 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Aircraft Spruce is really good about sending out samples so you can match up just what you need. Also Brown Aircraft Seal has a good selection

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...clickkey=10656

https://www.brownaircraft.com/category-s/60.htm

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 05-31-20, 08:39 PM

Much appreciated. Especially the brown's link.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: