Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 12-07-04, 10:21 PM

Francisco is on a distinguished road
What is keeping us from puting a "Experimental" sign on our doors. How can I go about it. I would love to do my own mechanic work, I am good at it. and I would save a ton, and fly a lot more.
Plus I like to fly alone most of the time.
Unread 12-08-04, 01:25 AM

Kevin McDonnell is an unknown quantity at this point
When you go to sell your aircraft the resale value will be zilch - plus you as "manufacturer", will be liable for all future "trouble" that plane gets into. That means subsequent owners can look to you for compensation.
Unread 12-08-04, 06:58 AM
N456TL

Dave Underwood is on a distinguished road
A far better bet is to find an A&P I.A. who will let you do the work under his supervision and sign it off for you. It does require someone with whom you can co-operate and who is understanding, but they do exist.

I have learnt more about my 337 working on it than anything else. I just wish I had more time.

The best part is then to log the time you worked on your plane and in no time at all you can take the appropriate tests and get your A&P license.
Unread 01-05-05, 10:01 PM

KyleTownsend is an unknown quantity at this point
Logging A&P Time

Dave:

Do you know exactly what the regs are for logging A&P time. One guy told me that he thought you had to be a "full time" apprentice for a period of time. Is that your understanding? How much time do you have to log? Where do you find out about all of this stuff?
Unread 01-06-05, 11:46 AM
N456TL

Dave Underwood is on a distinguished road
There are simple and complex parts to the answer. Do you want an A or a P or an A&P.

You might want to look at www.faa.gov/fsdo/phl/soyou.htm. This gives the basics of the requirements.

As it has been explained to me, you need to be able to demonstrate that you have something in the order of 3000 hours of practical experience. Working with your A&P I.A. and talking with him woudl be a good place to start.

The experience can be made up in a number of ways as is shown in the above link. When you consider say 15 annuals at 100 hours each or more. Add to that those many small jobs plus say some serious rebuild or referb work plus military or other relevant experience and you are pretty much there.

I am told there are several schools that will assist you in the brush up and missing areas (I have not had to weld anything in over 20 years for example, but I was pretty good at fabric have built a home built a long time ago) and help you prepare for the written and the practical exams.

Like almost anything else, it is only a matter of finding the time.

Hope that helps.

Regards - Dave