Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-30-18, 03:48 PM

tomcomet is on a distinguished road
My Sad 337 Engine Story

So I went ahead and bought the 1977 Reims F337G with the high time engines for what I thought was a good price. I had the knowledge that the engines would "one day" need attention, rebuilding or replacement and I took that liability on. I have to admit, I have flown the $#IT out of the plane racking up 120 hours to date and we have had some fun but it has been a maintenance hog too but I attributed that to "the first year in a new plane" syndrome.

After an oil leak in the rear engine turned into a cracked cylinder which in turn led us to discover excessive cam lobe pitting and wear that day of engine reckoning now today. Less than 9 months after my original purchase I am looking at $46,000USD per engine for a reman direct from Continental. This is before transport, removal and replacement, hose kit and the dozen or so other expenses I am sure. Oh, and I am in Canada so this will be well over $65,000CAD and, of course BOTH engines are the same vintage and have an identical history so... It doesn't take a rocket scientist to guess how the front one really is...

A big part of my problem is the non VAR crankshafts which is severely limiting my options. By the time we replace the crank the rebuild price will exceed the reman engine AND no shop wants to do it.

Oh, and did I mention my bills to date this calendar year for the SkyMaster (AKA WalletBlaster) is just over $100k CAD but, to be fare, I did add a G4, roll steer and an Avidyne 440.

What am I hoping to accomplish from this post? Perhaps a little sympathy and maybe some perspective and advice. I love my SkyMaster and I really enjoy flying her but this is INSANITY!!!

Perhaps this will serve as a warning to future legacy twin AC buyers out there. I don't feel that this has anything to do with the unique design of the 337 at all (except maybe the hot rear engine thing). Maybe someone knows of one or, better yet, two very good, used IO-360 engines for sale? Or, maybe there is someone who wants to buy a very good looking 1977 SkyMaster with one 40 year old 1500+ hour engine in the front and a big, greasy hole in the back... Seriously, all options are currently on the table.

Seriously, I have been keeping it together pretty well so far but the penny has dropped so to speak. I just don't know if I can continue with this...
Unread 07-30-18, 04:24 PM

TomeHill79 is on a distinguished road
Tom,
I'm in the same situation as you but it's due to a cracked case on my rear engine. It has a non VAR crank as well. My options are limited so I'm purchasing a Factory New IO-360-CB engine. It has a great warranty and has a 1700 TBO. My front engine is healthy make no metal and only has 300ish hours since overhaul. What engine models does the F337G have? Don Nieser in Oklahoma City may have some healthy used engines for you. He specializes in Skymaster parts. His company is Commodore Aerospace Corp. 405-503-4686

Hope the helps,

Andrew
Unread 07-30-18, 04:28 PM

N337RT is on a distinguished road
Hey Tom, I’ve debated this scenario as well since both my engines are at the 1200 hour mark. Sadly with the high cost of the overhaul as you have found I have come to one conclusion when it comes time OH mine: buy another skymaster! There are plenty out there with lower time engines selling for the price of one OH/Reman.... swap them into your aircraft and sell/part out the rest. Quick search on barnstormers has a few in the 40k range. Good luck!
Unread 07-30-18, 04:39 PM

kilr4d is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcomet View Post
Oh, and did I mention my bills to date this calendar year for the SkyMaster (AKA WalletBlaster) is just over $100k CAD but, to be fare, I did add a G4, roll steer and an Avidyne 440.
Wait. What?

That's including the purchase of the plane itself, right?
CNC3
Unread 07-30-18, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N337RT View Post
Hey Tom, I’ve debated this scenario as well since both my engines are at the 1200 hour mark. Sadly with the high cost of the overhaul as you have found I have come to one conclusion when it comes time OH mine: buy another skymaster! There are plenty out there with lower time engines selling for the price of one OH/Reman.... swap them into your aircraft and sell/part out the rest. Quick search on barnstormers has a few in the 40k range. Good luck!
^ This is the right answer. You've got to buy another airplane and/or scrap yours.

If the worst comes to the worst; look at what you've got to sell:
  • Props
  • Radios
  • New Avidyne 440
  • New Insight G4
  • New DAC GPSS roll steering module
  • Working 400B IFCS
  • Airframe
  • Cargo Pod
  • Freshly overhauled gear powerpack
  • Etc

It won't get you as much back as you want, but it's a start.
CNC3
Unread 07-30-18, 06:19 PM

Flyer770 is on a distinguished road
Think I’d be pushing hard to find a pair of midtime engines, one at a time if need be. Parting a plane out is a lot of work and that’s okay if you want to invest the time and effort in getting a portion of your money back a piece at a time. Otherwise, start with Don at Commodore and expand to the other salvage houses if needed. I’ve picked up a pair of midtimes for $12,500 each and gotten good results. About to do the same again.
Unread 07-30-18, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer770 View Post
Think I’d be pushing hard to find a pair of midtime engines, one at a time if need be. Parting a plane out is a lot of work and that’s okay if you want to invest the time and effort in getting a portion of your money back a piece at a time. Otherwise, start with Don at Commodore and expand to the other salvage houses if needed. I’ve picked up a pair of midtimes for $12,500 each and gotten good results. About to do the same again.
Yup. Good point...the fact is it only needs one engine at this time.

Tom, start with the usual players. Here's the BIG list of aircraft salvage yards:

http://www.colonial.com.mx/salvage.pdf

And of course Don:

Don Nieser
Commodore Aerospace Corp
6221 Commodore Lane
Oklahoma City OK 73162
405-503-4686
niesser.02.337parts@juno.com
CNC3
Unread 07-30-18, 06:34 PM

N337RT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
^^ agreed, especially if space is an issue. Personally I’m a sucker for spare parts as it always seems to take almost a spare airplane to maintain another one at times!
Unread 07-30-18, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Perhaps this will serve as a warning to future legacy twin AC buyers out there.
Cessna 421 is $90K USD (each engine!!!) and that's only if your cores are good. http://www.ramaircraft.com/One-Engin...all-421C-N.htm

There's something to be said for buying a cabin class twin and just scrapping it when the engines are due....
CNC3
Unread 07-30-18, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N337RT View Post
^^ agreed, especially if space is an issue. Personally I’m a sucker for spare parts as it always seems to take almost a spare airplane to maintain another one at times!
Especially with how expensive spares are. Still, with OP’s plane, because IIRC it’s a very low time airframe in great condition, it would be worth getting the engines replaced and then using the old ones to overhaul. Heck, replace the rear with a midtime, overhaul the removed engine and put it on the front when the front engine goes, then eventually overhaul the removed front when the midtime rear becomes a high time.
Unread 07-30-18, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Especially with how expensive spares are. Still, with OP’s plane, because IIRC it’s a very low time airframe in great condition, it would be worth getting the engines replaced and then using the old ones to overhaul. Heck, replace the rear with a midtime, overhaul the removed engine and put it on the front when the front engine goes, then eventually overhaul the removed front when the midtime rear becomes a high time.
I like this in concept but I am told overhaul is NOT an option for me due to the non VAR crankshafts. By the time a brand new crankshaft is factored in factory remans become a more viable option at $42,000USD plus, plus, plus... Yikes!!!
Unread 07-30-18, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I like this in concept but I am told overhaul is NOT an option for me due to the non VAR crankshafts. By the time a brand new crankshaft is factored in factory remans become a more viable option at $42,000USD plus, plus, plus... Yikes!!!
Same plan, just with a factory reman instead of overhaul. Any issues with the front engine yet?
Unread 07-30-18, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Same plan, just with a factory reman instead of overhaul. Any issues with the front engine yet?
The front engine has the exact same history and symptoms so it is almost certainly in identical shape. The rear engine was running great apart from running hot (like all 337s except for John Kennedy's) and that pesky cracked cylinder that leaked oil. We are currently AOG due to badly pitted cam lobes. Terrible news really...
Unread 07-31-18, 05:24 PM

YankeeClipper is on a distinguished road
Just how expensive are those VAR cranks?

Also, are there not overhaulers like Western, Corona, etc that would be less expensive than TCM? Or are those just not suitable alternatives?
Unread 07-31-18, 05:46 PM

LightSpeed is on a distinguished road
Hi Tom,
I agree with the thought of finding a 337G. with current annual and salvage the engines, plus lots extra parts! Yours is a sound machine w no belly
Landings, you have boots and new power pack, let’s find one we
Can help you get it home.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: