Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 09-11-05, 10:24 AM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Av Fuel prices.........

THE FOLLOWING WAS ON THE AOPA SITE....

''No immediate effects are expected on the national supply of avgas because any avgas that's going to be used in the next few months already has been refined and is in the distribution systems''

In my neck of the woods prices have increased in my opinion dramatically. One place was $2.69.9 per gal. in mid July. Sometime in August it went to $3.10 per gal. I thought it must have been due to a fuel delevery. The place has a large white storage tank, I am guessing a few thousand gallon capacity. This past week looking at AirNav.com The new price is $3.97 per gal. The field is a privately owned public use field. I am going to guess the daily traffic count is maybe 12 operations daily and some of them ultra lights. Going to drop in to see if the price is for real... Ah the free market place.. guy, the old 72 driver...

Last edited by Guy Paris : 09-11-05 at 10:29 AM.
Unread 09-12-05, 08:18 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Even if they bought the fuel at a lower price, when the "big white tank" goes empty it has to filled at the new higher price. You can't expect them to sell the remainder at the old price?

Yesterday, fuel at Flushing, Dalton, MI (3DA) was $2.75 SS. I fueled at my home base for $3.32 and flew to Fowlerville, Maple Grove (65G) bought breakfast for the family at $6.00 per head and won $50.00 worth of fuel in door prize. It pays to fly!

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 09-12-05, 11:01 PM
Keven

C'mon Guy, didn't you ever hear the old investment expression, buy low, and gouge really, really, really high?

There are a few airports I will forever remember for extraordinary prices -- both ridiculously high and low -- in the future. I will re-visit them accordingly.

Keven
________
VERMONT MEDICAL MARIJUANA

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 05:16 PM.
Unread 09-13-05, 11:03 AM

Frank Benvin is an unknown quantity at this point
I buy gas for our club in Canada our base cost icreased by 48 cents US a gallon this week. We have to add 11% fed tax, 2% prov tax 7% goods & service tax and 6 cents a gallon airport tax to the base price

Frank
Unread 09-13-05, 12:13 PM
Keven

I spoke with an avgas rep last week. He told me that costs went up 83 cents per gallon last week for the FBOs. Ouch! But, even with taxes, that increase doesn't translate into the $2+ a gallon increase I've seen in some FBOs.

FWIW

Keven
________
Prilosec Settlement Info

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 05:16 PM.
Unread 09-13-05, 05:39 PM

stackj is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to stackj
Just like automotive gas. It's called gouging!
Unread 09-15-05, 03:30 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
In my recent flights around the south, I saw gas at $2.85, and $4.89. I didn't buy too much at $4.89, but did buy a lot at 2.85
Unread 09-15-05, 09:05 PM

Mark McConaughy is an unknown quantity at this point
Gas Prices

FYI in Oklahoma City Car Gas has gone down almost $.50 in a week, saw it today for 2.47, a week ago it was 2.98. So hopefully Avgas will do the same. (I can always hope can't I???????)
Unread 09-17-05, 04:48 PM

Frank Benvin is an unknown quantity at this point
Prices should be coming down our base price is dropping 33 cents US per gallon effective Monday morning

Frank
Unread 09-18-05, 10:26 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
It just depends on where you are>

Grand Haven, MI
Saturday
$4.40 per gal

Good Stuff!

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 09-20-05, 07:43 AM

sunnysky is an unknown quantity at this point
You guys in the States are lucky. Try avgas prices here in Europe. Up to $9 per gallon !!!
Sunnysky.
Unread 09-20-05, 02:32 PM
Keven

Geez!

WOW!!!!!

Has there been a sharp increase in the recent month because of supplies in the US, or is that the normal price?

Keven
________
Alarice

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 05:17 PM.
Unread 09-21-05, 02:41 AM

sunnysky is an unknown quantity at this point
It's always been much more expensive than in the States but of course has risen recently.
There is lots of interest in diesels over here with several engines certified including one for the Cessna 182. These are proving popular with Avtur untaxed but the initial conversions are expensive. Haven't heard of a 337 installation yet.
Sunnysky.
Unread 09-21-05, 11:03 AM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Bedford MA.... Claremont NH...

BED Hanscom Field, MA. $5.22....

CNH Claremont Muni NH. $3.15....
guy
Unread 09-21-05, 07:37 PM

Mark McConaughy is an unknown quantity at this point
engines

Thielert Aircraft Engines GmbH (TAE) has already achieved the type certification according to EASA requirements for the CENTURION 4.0 on 28 October 2004. The CENTURION 4.0 is a V8-engine with 261 kW (350hp). The CENTURION 4.0 is running only with jet fuel.

They are concentrating on engine development and certification. Their main target market for these engines comprises national and international aircraft manufacturers (OEM).

Projects for the installation of Thier engines into aircraft are being implemented by these aircraft OEMs. There are currently also some feasibility studies being carried out for retrofits using the CENTURION 4.0. These are being undertaken at the moment by various development organisations for different aircraft types. The aircraft types affected are currently also equipped with conventional engines rated at around 300 bhp. I feel the 337 would fall into that group.

We know the 337 frame can handle that (i.e. Riley super skyrocket). However, with the limited market I wonder about the economics. This engine is supposed to be turbocharged. I am assuming (I know that's the best way to get in trouble) but I assume that it could run the pressurization on a "P" model.

I also read where Cessna did some research with Icing on the "P" and apparently, it did pretty well but there was something in the cert. reg about available horsepower. At the time, the engine they were using was the production version (225 HP). I guess I am wondering, more thinking out loud than anything, that with the above-mentioned conversion could we also see a posibiltiy of certification for operating in known icing conditions.

Another thought is maybe the use of mogas could be pursued, anyway these are just some thoughts I had and I am sure that greater minds than mine have been working on these problems, but these are questions I've had for a while. (Did not mean to imply that I had answers because I certainly do not.)

The problem I see coming is this. With the increased security concerns, public use airports in the US are closing at the rate of about one every two weeks according to AOPA, and the general decline in general aviation. Couple this with about the only people who use avgas are people with personal aircraft.

At some point, it could get to where avgas is not going to be profitable for anyone to produce. At that point, if we do not have a "Plan B" we will be the owners of some very expensive yard ornaments. If you don't think things like that happen ask the Commerative Airforce, or the Valiant Air Command what they do for fuel in some of their birds that they can only operate at half power because they can't get 115/145 avgas (I know some of you remember purple gas, showing our age).

In some parts of the world, I am told avgas is not even available. Nevertheless, like I said these are just thoughts.