Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 06-28-21, 03:39 PM

JimC is on a distinguished road
18x5.5 Tubes

Michael,

You posted on FB about tubes...I don't have a FB account, so I'll reply here. I lost one 18x5.5 tube spontaneously last year.

The 18x5.5 isn't as rare as you've heard. It's on TBMs, King Air 200s, Beech 99s, Dash 8's, and the Lear 20 series...

https://www.goodyearaviation.com/sea...urnformat=json
Unread 06-29-21, 02:23 PM

patrolpilot is on a distinguished road
My interest was in tubes; Goodyear has dropped tubes in this size, as have other manufacturers. So we are left with Desser's Aero Classic. In the Goodyear series of 18x5.5-8s, the Flight Special was under $300, but it is no longer available. The Eagle (#185F88-6) is the single 18x5.5-8 tire listed in the link you included. What is noticeable about the current website list is that the reference to the C337 for this tire has been dropped.

My airplane has had the Goodyear Eagle (#185F88-6) tires run it for quite a while, I wanted to get back to the Goodyear tubes, but that is not an option anymore.
Unread 06-29-21, 02:57 PM

The tubes are definitely scarce. When I replaced my tube last year, I had so much trouble finding it I bought two - I carry the spare with me.

My shop scrapped my carcass - I wanted to send it to Desser for a retread.

I've seriously considering switching back to the "normal" tire size; but it's non-trivial. Everything but the gear leg gets swapped. Bearings, wheels, brake assemblies...it all goes.

Here are three sources for tires, all near $200 or less.
https://www.aircraftsupply.com/ab2a6.html
https://shop.desser.com/18x5.5-8-ply...detail/323311/
https://www.univair.com/tires-wheels...air-hawk-tire/

Last edited by JimC : 06-29-21 at 03:06 PM.
Unread 06-29-21, 04:50 PM

patrolpilot is on a distinguished road
So how has the service life been on the Hawks? You, keep track of landings.
Unread 07-12-21, 07:37 PM

Timcote1960 is on a distinguished road
Spare Tubes/Tires

This is a good reminder to carry a spare tube and tire, for the mains at least. On a recent flight I had a blow out shortly after landing in a remote field in Kentucky. We had to scramble to find one and almost got stuck there for days. Gratefully, another P337G pilot had a spare and his plane was undergoing a long annual, he sold it to me for cost. The A/P said it was the only one in the whole state.

Going forward, I will carry a spare for the mains. Am told the nosewheel is much more common.

Tim
Norm Asp 337G N122WB
Unread 07-13-21, 11:34 AM

mshac is on a distinguished road
If anyone is interested, there is a brand new 18x5.5 tire available on Ebay for about $120 or so. Seller has it listed higher, but said in a message he would accept an offer in that range.
Unread 07-22-21, 10:57 AM

I had an 18x5.5 fail a few days ago with sidewall deterioration just like you've described. I landed normally, taxied to fuel, and filled my tanks. When I went to taxi away I found the flat tire.

It was very fortunate that I had a spare tube - even though it's the same brand. I'm ordering more spares even though I know they'll fail. I saw your note to Aircraft Spruce - have you contacted the manufacturer directly?
Unread 07-22-21, 11:01 AM

Talcum powder?

I was taught that when you put a tube in a tire, you cover the inside of the tire with talcum powder so the the tube can "slide" into the correct position inside the tire.

Its possible the tubes are binding in one area, causing the wear.

When you install these tubes, try the talcum powder trick. It can't hurt!
Unread 07-22-21, 11:14 AM

These have been talced. I'll upload photos of the tube later today. There's no wear on the outside; it's a manufacturing failure. I'll also cut it open to look at the inside.

Even if you don't talc it, the wear should come under the tread, not on the sidewall.

I found Goodyears for sale at Aircraft Spruce Europe (but they won't ship to the US) and here: $389!!!! These are bent valve stems; the Aero Classics are straight valves.

https://www.aircraftsupply.com/302-339-300.html
Unread 07-22-21, 03:09 PM

Here are three areas of degredation on the same tube. Note the lack of wear on the exterior of the tube. The interior is unremarkable.

The defect that is completely contained within the ribs is the one that actually failed, although it's clear the others were on their way.

We could not find anything on the interior of the tire that could possibly cause this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210722_184619755 small.jpg (289.6 KB, 779 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210722_184633457 small.jpg (374.2 KB, 743 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210722_184655688 small.jpg (327.1 KB, 742 views)
Unread 07-22-21, 04:01 PM

Those pics are very disconcerting, to say the least.

Here's a theory, a SWAG if you will:

The damage to the tubes is due to heat emanating from the brake caliper. Say you use the brakes hard, then park. The caliper will be pretty hot, and the tube area nearest the caliper will get heat transferred through the tire.

It would explain the damage being on the sidewall, because that's closest to the caliper. Also, most stories have the tubes failing after a landing, when the tires and brakes are hottest.

Any other theories besides "Manufacturing error"? Which it still may be, because the tubes should be more heat resistant then that.

Last edited by mshac : 07-22-21 at 04:07 PM.
Unread 07-22-21, 04:16 PM

Nope. That heat has to go through the tire, which is MUCH thicker and shows no sign of wear. Enough heat to fail the tube would cause the tire to actually melt. The heat would transfer much faster through the steel wheel. Also, the brake pads are much larger than the small areas of defect. The defect areas seem to have tight boundaries.

And the most definite reason that's not it: For this failure, all three areas are on the valve side of the tube - away from the brakes. I didn't save the tube from my earlier failure.
Unread 07-23-21, 03:38 PM

We have a new theory from another board, and it fits the facts:

The tube & tire are new. The tire may have come with 3 rectangular stickers on the inside that the A&P removed. The adhesive residue remained. The adhesive is corrosive to the tube rubber but not the tire rubber. That's why they're all the same shape.

A poster on another board said that my failures looked liked ones he had that he was able to conclusively track to stickers on the inside of the tire.
Unread 07-24-21, 08:12 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
We have a new theory from another board, and it fits the facts:

The tube & tire are new. The tire may have come with 3 rectangular stickers on the inside that the A&P removed. The adhesive residue remained. The adhesive is corrosive to the tube rubber but not the tire rubber. That's why they're all the same shape.

A poster on another board said that my failures looked liked ones he had that he was able to conclusively track to stickers on the inside of the tire.
Your theory makes perfect sense. I was wondering why the failed areas were so symmetrical.

I guess the take-away is leave the stickers on inside the tires, or remove them and thoroughly clean any residue with Goof-Off or such!
Unread 12-15-21, 07:50 AM

Learjetter is on a distinguished road
Possible tire (& tube?) source:

Wilkerson Aircraft tires in Virginia.

Www.wilkersonaircrafttires.com