Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 07-08-21, 11:06 AM

JMH is on a distinguished road
@JAG - thanks this is all truly helpful, I read through the pelican's perch articles and it was very informative... and very stressful at the same time! While he does a great job of breaking things down to the lowest common denominator, I find myself having to balance that with the Dash-1 and other instructors/techniques (included those listed in this thread go against some of what the articles say)... obviously there really is an art here, while we try to make it a science.

Thanks for the temps, I had heard 460 is the upper limit on these engines, while my IP insisted that 400 is the limit... glad to know that I have some more wiggle room (not that I'm using 460 as a KIO, but I have seen 410/415 immediately after T/O). It does seem that my front eng seems to get warmer then the rear, not sure if that is typical, but that seems like a good technique (run the front up to help cool the aft).

That same IP unintentionally stressed me out by continuing to cycle through the CHTs during the entire sortie (couple times each during taxi, T/O, climb, etc...) like I felt like I was seriously going to do damage if I don't continuously watch them.

I've started discussion with the mechanic about increasing the fuel flow for T/O, makes sense to try and get a little more flow to keep them cool (almost non-intuitive!). Thanks!

BTW-what is a good fuel flow setting, say at 0 MSL? the Dash-1 doesn't really address it (not that I've found). Is there a # in POH?

Last edited by JMH : 07-08-21 at 11:11 AM. Reason: added a question
Unread 07-08-21, 07:56 PM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
Rop

The subject of ROP or LOP is a deep one. I alway fly ROP, having said that, my intent is not to engage in this discussion other than to say it has been such a long time since I correspondent with You ERINE and you BOB COOK! It was very nice seeing you guys still very active. Good to hear from both of you! Take care my friends!
Unread 07-09-21, 11:51 AM

JAG is on a distinguished road
Fuel Flow Setting for 0' MSL

JMH,

Glad I am able to give you a different perspective and be helpful. I agree with your statement of making this art, into a science...Ha Ha. There is certainly a lot of information out there. I am a mechanic and a pilot (Father was as well), so I tend to look at things through different lenses - always wanting to manage my aircraft and engines in a manner that ensures reliability and performance are well balanced.

On your question about best FF at 0' MSL, follow the procedure using the Continental Motors SID97-3G. That is what your mechanic should use as the procedure when setting up the fuel pumps and making sure your injection system is working in top shape. The fuel flow data for my engines were found in the IO360 Maintenance and Overhaul Manual (M7), Table 6-3. That table shows the engine operating limits, including the metered and unmetered fuel pressures. Depending on a number of things (shown in the SID), your metered pressure should be around 15.8 to 18.2 psi. I have mine set at the high end of the scale when I set mine up, based on my static RPM corrections.

On my aircraft (337A) there is a placard that depicts I should have "Maximum Power Mixture Settings of 17.0 Gal/hr at Sea Level , 15.0 @4000', 13.0 @ 8000' and 11.0 @ 12000'". When I go to full takeoff power at SL (I am based in South Texas), my fuel flow gauge indicates closer to 18 gph, which is true to the pressures I have them set at (roughly 17.8 psi). I have set of calibrated digital gauges I use to set the fuel pumps up. I recently took my FF gauge to an overhaul shop and they tested it as well to ensure its accuracy and smoothness at all settings.

I hope this helps!
Jeff

Last edited by JAG : 07-09-21 at 11:59 AM.
Unread 08-04-21, 07:37 PM

MelsML55 is on a distinguished road
This. Is good stuff.