Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-18-21, 01:00 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Garmin Autopilot GFC 500

****** There are numerous threads that have info pertaining to autopilots and the Garmin GFC 500 for the Skymaster. Please use the search feature above to review these threads for information *****

There is some new info obtained be a couple of members here on the forum. One member asked me to post the info so here is what is known from his responses that were sent to me.

From Cj Goodspeed:
I came in contact with sales engineer at the Deland Sport Aviation show yesterday, and he gave me the actual name of the person who makes the decision on which planes are going on the GFC500 approved list. His name is Max Unruh and his email is the max.unruh@garmin.com he is the product manager for all of Garmin's Auto Pilots. The rep said the same thing that the last one did, the squeaky wheel is going to get greased, its just a matter of how loud it is. Funny story is the sales engineer knew my plane without me showing him a picture.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 11-18-21, 01:02 PM
Forum Administrator

From Cj Goodspeed:

This was the response I received back today, I was actually shocked that he responded to me on a weekend and so quickly.

Response from Max (Garmin)
Hi Jim,

Thanks for checking in. The Cessna Skymaster is indeed on my list for future consideration. You probably wont see it on an external Garmin list that is on our website but that list is just the tip of the iceberg so to speak.

It probably wont happen in the next year, but I could see it happening some time after that depending on how much interest we get.

What I could really use is some data on the 337. See the attached PDF that the I received from the American Bonanza society – this information is super helpful. I’ve also attached a good example from the Rockwell Commanders on the information that is really helpful for me. If you could put something together on the 336/337 models that is similar to the information above – that would help me out.

In addition – it helps when owners are really passionate about their aircraft and show interest on our website. If all 65-70 interested 337 owners volunteered their aircraft on our website that really helps out with the business case and might move the 337 up the list compared to other aircraft it is competing with for priority:

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/a...certification/

Max

Unread 11-18-21, 01:06 PM
Forum Administrator

Garmin GFC 500 "I want this unit"

Are you on the list?

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/a...V_1e2RSQEo7qwk

Certification for Light Twins underway

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/...twin-comanche/

Unread 11-18-21, 03:12 PM

JAG is on a distinguished road
I think I have registered myself on the Garmin website about a dozen times over the past few years.

Not sure what the pdf the American Bonanza Society sent to Max looks like, but maybe we need to put something together on our side for the Skymasters?

Any thoughts what more we could do?

Jeff
Unread 11-18-21, 04:38 PM

wslade2 is on a distinguished road
See below link to Avweb article.

Now might be the time. I know I was getting close to calling s tec but will hold again.

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/...twin-comanche/
Unread 11-18-21, 11:13 PM

kbecker is on a distinguished road
I filled out the online form. It took about 1 minute.

Kevin
Unread 11-19-21, 09:34 PM

CO_Skymaster is on a distinguished road
Just filled it out.

Karl
Unread 11-19-21, 10:21 PM

Learjetter is on a distinguished road
Filled it out (again!) :-)
Unread 11-20-21, 02:40 PM

patrolpilot is on a distinguished road
I filled out the form a number of times and never heard a word from them.
Unread 11-20-21, 03:47 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Question

Honest question: What's wrong with using an S-TEC (now Genesys) AP?

I have the 60-2 in my aircraft with GPSS roll-steering coupled up to ILS and LPV approaches. It talks fine with my Garmin gps nav-com.

It still fully supported by the factory, in fact you can fly your plane directly to them at the Mineral Wells TX airport, and they'll work on your plane for $80/hr. Will Garmin do that?

Besides saying "GARMIN" on it, why the fascination with this AP?

Last edited by mshac : 11-20-21 at 07:13 PM.
Unread 11-20-21, 03:52 PM

patrolpilot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshac View Post

I have the 60-2 in my aircraft with GPSS roll-steering coupled with ILS and LPV approaches. It talks fine with my Garmin gps nav-com.

It still fully supported by the factory, in fact you can fly your plane directly to them at the Mineral Wells TX airport, and they'll work on your plane for $80/hr. Will Garmin do that?

That's exactly what I plan on doing if my 400A ever bites the dust. Personally, I'm not a fan of Garmin.

Last edited by mshac : 11-20-21 at 07:13 PM.
Unread 11-21-21, 11:06 AM

TomM is on a distinguished road
choices

For you folks with an existing Stec, that is great and I know it is a great autopilot. For us with the old 400 (or nothing) and models before the 337D, the only choice we have for a fully coupled auto pilot is the Stec 65. Not sure if you have priced one of those out lately, but they are $38,000 plus installation.

I have talked to Stec a number of times and there is little hope, if any that the older model skymaster would ever be added to the STC list for the other autopilots such at the 60-2 or 3100. The guy couldn't tell me the difference between the older models and the D and newer. It would seem to be a simple procedure to get the older models on the list, but there must be something unique about the older ones (and the FAA) that just doesnt make that a reality.

Best I can do for a reasonable sum would be the Stec 50 ($13k plus installation) and settle for altitude hold. Which is what I planed on doing unless the Garmin option comes through. Being fully coupled would be a bonus along with the lower cost.

For me the Garmin would be the only realistic option for a fully coupled autopilot period.
Unread 11-24-21, 08:53 AM

JAG is on a distinguished road
Gensys makes great autopilot, no argument there. For me, I would prefer the Garmin to get the most out of my Garmin avionics, have a brand that is modern and will be supported and around for a long time. I also prefer a digital autopilot solution.
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshac View Post

I have the 60-2 in my aircraft with GPSS roll-steering coupled up to ILS and LPV approaches. It talks fine with my Garmin gps nav-com.

Unread 11-25-21, 03:37 AM

wslade2 is on a distinguished road
I did fill out the form but re-read Herb's original post and the quote from Garmin: "It probably wont happen in the next year, but I could see it happening some time after that depending on how much interest we get."

So talking about 2023?

Really would like fully coupled autopilot. On the surface, Garmin appears cheaper than the S Tec regarding fully coupled options.

But, I've got to be moving on something before the hope of sometime in 2023...

Last edited by wslade2 : 11-25-21 at 03:46 AM.
Unread 12-04-21, 11:10 PM

CRDedrickson is on a distinguished road
Stec-55x

Last year I also checked into the Skymaster Autopilot options and got the same answers as are indicated today. Although I had a working Bendix King 810 system, it was old and quirky and didn’t have some of the features available today that I now consider essential. Those include fully coupled approaches, altitude select, GPS steering, alerts, etc. (I use Aspen as the interface).

I would have rather had a newer digital design like the Garmin, but now would rather have the Avidyne DFC90. I think Garmin makes a great product, but for GA pilots, I feel like the Company is Defective. They do a real job of planned obsolescence and including exit barriers in their products. Avidyne seems much more open to forward compatibility and sensible support.

The DFC90 is not available for Skymaster planes currently, but if it became available installation would be similar to the IFD series approach to plug-and-play into a Garmin 530 or 430 tray.

All of our flying hours are valuable, especially us guys now over 60. So, I’m glad to have the STEC in place and the DFC as a wish list item. I would be reluctant to swap out the 55X now, as it has been so well-integrated with the other systems.

My humble opinion…

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: