Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-22-21, 10:11 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Facebook post on Bill Crews

Not all are FB fans so thought I would post this here. It's really sad to see this but the word needs to be spread

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2872...9954672059560/

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 08-22-21, 11:16 PM

TomM is on a distinguished road
deja vu

Unfortunately, that was not the first time:

https://www.tspr.org/post/keokuk-sue...ners-knowledge

In the case above the purchaser actually got the plane, but he was in for a surprise!!

I did not have a great experience either. I got through it and got my plane, but it was not fun.........
Unread 08-23-21, 12:37 PM

Trippster is on a distinguished road
One HUGE problem with aircraft sales and brokers is that many that advertise aircraft don't legally represent them. They post info and pics on a fishing expedition hoping to be a buyer's representative and can get the sale done and earn something.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS, ask the broker if they have the exclusive contract to sell or a contract to sell and ask to see it. Otherwise, you're wasting your time with someone that is not an agent for that plane.
Unread 08-23-21, 02:41 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippster View Post
ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS, ask the broker if they have the exclusive contract to sell or a contract to sell and ask to see it. Otherwise, you're wasting your time with someone that is not an agent for that plane.
+1000!

I've bought at least two dozen piston airplanes over my lifetime. You know how many were represented by a broker? ZERO. How many times have I had an issue like this? NEVER.

It may have limited me somewhat, but I found most aircraft represented by brokers to be overpriced, at least in the piston realm (Things are different with jets).

It takes more legwork, but the best deals are almost always purchased directly from the owner. Use Aerospace Reports for the lien check and escrow, and things will likely go very smoothly.

Regarding Bill Crews, I've spoken with him on the phone about his opinion on the value of my plane. He seemed affable enough, but most con men do. If this was a one-time event with Crews, I wouldn't refer to him that way (con-man), but this is a pattern with him. Too many previous lawsuits and reports of serious ethical transgressions to give him any real shot at redemption. At least in this life! I was not aware of his tawdry reputation, but I never had any financial dealing with him, so never took the time to check him out.

Another lesson here is to get involved with your proposed aircraft's owner groups BEFORE you buy a plane!

Last edited by mshac : 08-23-21 at 03:00 PM.
Unread 09-04-21, 01:31 AM

wslade2 is on a distinguished road
Bought my plane though bill crews. Experience was ok. But dealt with many a real estate agent over the years so my expectations are wary with any agent for anything sold, and didn't count on the agent for anything. My expectation was zero. My view, sometimes an agent is "baggage" you have to deal with. A good one can help but don't count on it. And this transaction had an agent. Caveat Emptor. Knew it was all going to be me. I was on it right away. I checked and seller wasn't selling though any other advertiser. Made sure contract included that I would be using a third party escrow closing service to keep everyone honest. Crews was fine with that. I ordered an Aerospace Reports title search and report BEFORE earnest money and contract sign. (Any question check with AOPA for assistance on this. You can find out some interesting history about the airplane that even a current owner may not know.) Bam, I was on the road to the airplane before the earnest money cleared. It was a holiday weekend-no excuse for a purchase like this. As buyer I've got job to do. Right after contract, a second trip and meeting with owner who was a pleasant and responsible fellow. And a third trip. At any point I couldn't get emotionally attached and stood ready to accept money or energy was expendable if anything made it a no go (and don't mean just the airplane but the deal and people count too). There was a hiccup on closing day: some side agreement I wasn't privy to (commission? not a surprise!). But escrow service made that a no brainer locking everything down until they worked it out, which was done in short order under escrow's eyes. The closing service made sure that airplane popped out on other side registered to me with FAA and all the necessary documents in my hand minute one, hour one, day one concurrent with the transfer of my money. AOPA can be helpful with your purchase. Use them and don't go it alone.

Last edited by wslade2 : 09-04-21 at 08:23 AM.
Unread 09-04-21, 05:53 PM

fsnewton is on a distinguished road
Bill Crews

I’m not saying that anything below is false, but I used him 3 times as a broker (4 including a deal that fell through) and nothing but a great experience with him. Having a broker doesn’t mean you don’t do your homework, but I found him pretty useful at finding Skymasters before they went on the market, and when i sold mine, he had a company waiting to buy and pay full price before even listing it. ��

-Scott

Last edited by fsnewton : 09-04-21 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Mistyped character

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: