Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 09-28-14, 01:33 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Factory Reman

Has anyone had any experience with direct sales at Continental Motors? I am gearing up to change the front engine and open to all options.

Continental is quoting the IO360 B6B with a TBO of 1700 hours. Not sure of any differences yet but this is the factory replacement. Has anyone used this model?

I have a unique situation with my current engine. No tag, has been overhauled but no good records as for the case or crank. Continental says they will give me full core at $3,000.

I am tempted to buy a complete airplane for not much more and part it out. Just don't need another project right now.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 09-30-14, 05:51 AM
Ace of the Atmosphere

skymstr02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Herb,
With your 68 model, you need either a -C, -CB, -G or -GB engine. IO-360-B's are not eligible for installation on 337's.
Please refer to TCDS A6CE for details.

Dave
Unread 10-01-14, 10:43 AM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymstr02 View Post
Hi Herb,
With your 68 model, you need either a -C, -CB, -G or -GB engine. IO-360-B's are not eligible for installation on 337's.
Please refer to TCDS A6CE for details.

Dave
My TYPO Dave

It is actually a IO360CB6B. I forgot the C

FWIW, the CB6B has the 200 additional hours so TBO is 1700 and the real difference is the Main and Rod journals are larger than the previous C only model with out the B. 6B designates the accessories as a 24V 38 amp Alt and the Tach p/u on the mag

Cheers

Last edited by hharney : 10-13-14 at 02:45 PM.
Unread 03-03-15, 08:16 PM
Forum Administrator

Last Flight with an Icon

Well, yesterday was the last flight in my Skymaster with the original front engine from 1968. 47 years ago Continental Motors delivered this engine to Cessna in Wichita. Since then there was one major overhaul in 1980, before I started flying it, that dad had a shop do. We had to change a couple cylinders, a starter or two, throttle body and fuel control but other than that, maybe a vacuum pump or two, it's been amazing power plant. I can't complain as it has 2200 hours on it since the overhaul in 1980. Still operates good, has good compressions but is starting to leak some oil out the cylinder drains as the valve guides are very worn. I have very limited knowledge on the overhaul in 1980 so I am not even sure it has a VAR crankshaft. I am assuming it does but the log entry is lacking in that detail.

I am exchanging it for a FACTORY ZERO time reman from Continental. It is a IO360CB6B which has larger main journals and ups the TBO to 1700 hours from 1500. Continental has been great to work with and has gone out of their way to make this as transparent as possible. My hat is off to them so far, we will see how the rest of the program progresses. I am doing most of the work myself under the direction of my A&P at Griswold Aviation in Marshall, MI. Started today and have about 60% of the dis-assembly complete. Hope to see a new crate show up in 2-3 weeks.

I am having the propeller governor overhauled and the hydraulic pump as I don't think they have been done or at least for a long time. Of course new engine mounts and lots of cleaning, tidy up of wires. Anything else that you can think I should address let me know.

List price for the engine is $50,492.00 and with the core credit of $14,500.00 it makes the bottom line $35,992.00. It's a big hit but I think in my case I am better off with the reman for several reasons, especially not knowing if I have a VAR crank.

I'll post some results as it happens
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11041832_10203003828130620_3363932690652238841_n.jpg
Views:	1047
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1556  

Unread 03-03-15, 09:50 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
Wow, quite a story Herb with the original engine. This is a very interesting thread to me as my factory reman engines from 1988 are at about 1490 hours each. I don't have any reason at the moment to overhaul but nevertheless it will be interesting to hear the final numbers. Where's the rear engine at in it's life cycle? Just curious.

Good Luck,

Ed
Unread 03-04-15, 08:36 PM
Ace of the Atmosphere

skymstr02 is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think that the VAR cranks came into existence till sometime in the 90's. TCM has a special right now where you wont be penalized if your core has a non-VAR crank.
Unread 03-04-15, 11:32 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanks Dave, I was assured by TCM that I would receive my full core value.
Ed, rear engine is about 1000 hours

Unread 03-05-15, 02:15 PM

JamesC is on a distinguished road
Congratulations Herb
You might consider a lightweight starter if that is an option.
Also if you are thinking of GAMI's now might be the time as you may be able to send the GAMI's to the company and save the cost of the original injectors on that engine.
Just a thought...
Unread 03-05-15, 07:00 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanks Jim

Did GAMI's several years ago so I will keep those and send the new TCM injectors back with the core

I really don't see the advantage of the lightweight starter. They really turn a lot faster and do not have the duty cycle like the originals, only my opinion

Cheers

Unread 03-07-15, 01:08 PM

You may have to get new paperwork for the GANI's from the company and maybe even trade them in for different ones depending on the induction and cylinder specifications on the new engine.
Do you have a link for comparing the starters? I am thinking about the lightweight one.
Unread 03-09-15, 04:15 PM

SinkRate is on a distinguished road
Cool 336 Tcds?

I find this thread interesting. So when I look at the tcds for 336 and the 337 they're several different engines approved for the 337, in regards to the 336, it only says IO-360-A , which has a listed tbo of 1500. Is there no variation of the IO 360-A that has similar improvements ie; increased TBO etc? Do any of the gurus on this website know of an stc or FORM 337 that has been accomplished on the 336?
Unread 03-09-15, 10:12 PM
Forum Administrator

the 336 was only made one year and I don't think anyone was going to spend any money for mods on a very limited supply of airframes. 1500 hour TBO is pretty much the norm for Skymasters but you can achieve a lot more hours at Part 91 so no worries with that engine

Unread 03-10-15, 08:11 PM

SkyMac is on a distinguished road
Hi Herb

My front engine is a factory io-360g reman from 1983 with 550hrs, it was still running strong when I purchased the project.

Recently we decided to conduct a bulk strip, the flange serial number indicateded a VAR crank but we remained unsure until some cylinders were removed. The engine will have the required inspection / test carried out, new bearings and all mandatory parts replaced. We also found some lifters just starting to show signs of wear as well as some gears. Besides one intake valve and two exhaust valves cylinder still show hone marks, so we will hone, install new rings as well as check all valve guides and reseat valves.

Fuel system o/h "ouch", 500 hourly on the mags as well as checking all other accessories.

By doing this we will be able to bring the engine back into calendar time, more
importantly we will now know what I have sitting in the front.

I did get a price on exchanging a non VAR late last year for a VAR just in case. It was $5,800 USD.

Now that is just the front, rear is original engine with 1950hrs TT. Looking at all options for this one, mid time, a reman or o/h. TCM have provided a number of options to consider, they have been very easy to deal with.

Just thought I would share my journey with the group.

Dave

Last edited by SkyMac : 03-10-15 at 08:14 PM.
Unread 03-27-15, 11:19 AM

Also getting a Factory Reman (rear eng.) direct from Continental.
Attached pictures of the engine mount (ready to be sent out for NDT) and the rear firewall. I have Gamis but will likely run the factory injectors for break-in/cylinder conditioning x at least 25 hours in case there are any problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear engine mount.JPG
Views:	920
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	1565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear firewall.JPG
Views:	1000
Size:	589.3 KB
ID:	1566  
Unread 03-27-15, 01:58 PM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point