Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 08-29-21, 10:55 AM

wslade2 is on a distinguished road
brake rotor disc finding part

Need help getting new discs/rotors for my 1970 model E. Have a bad shimmy when applying brakes so suspect rotors/discs warped. In fact one of the discs attachment flange is dented/out of round. Terribly rusted and the brake pad surface of the rotors is deeply pitted with rust. Turning them (if anywhere has the capability) would take off alot of metal. So replacement with new in order.

Seems like this should be easy, but hasn't been. First I went to Aircraft Spruce. The part number in the parts manual, 164-25A, has been superseded. I even talked to sales person on the phone to be sure we got this right, and they sent me what their computer told them to send/crosses over to. The rotor was way to thick for my calipers. Spoke to Aircraft Spruce again, they call Cleveland, a couple day later they come back with something that is no stock and will be October before available.

My mechanic suggested Rapco. I called Chief Aircraft. Both sales person and I look at the Rapco application chart while on the phone and we order what is called out for my model. What arrives is too big looks like it could stop a jet.

We fiddle around with some old 210 rotors mechanic had in the shop (thinking 337 shares alot with 210 and maybe that leads to a valid part number) and no match.

This time I call Rapco technical support directly. I speak with a representative and explain the situation. Interestingly the Rapco application chart (and Cleveland too) lists rotors for A-D model, a different rotor for E model (which I got and is very wrong), and no rotors/parts for anything above E model. He says they basically duplicate Cleveland chart so not a surprise there can be an error or omissions. He suggests a part number. Back goes the second set of rotors and in come the 3rd set. They're close but flange is 1/4 inch deeper than old ones pushing the whole caliper inboard and moving the guide pins out of the recesses (meaning less contact for securing guide pins for the calipers). And still rotor too thick requiring alot of shim if made to work. These are too many wrongs to try and push this square peg through a round hole.

I measure the old disc/rotor and find a dimensions chart at Mcfarlane that lists all the dimensions of the rotors/discs they sell. Nothing exact (probably combination of wear, time, differences in manufacturing, rust, superseded part, etc) but a very close match is a 164-02300. (Note the new nomenclature for rotors/discs is 164-XXXXX and not the nomenclature of the old parts manuals.) On a Cleveland application chart these rotors are used on a piper Seneca II-III-IV. It just so happens there is a Seneca III on jacks in the shop and next trip out there going to do a comparison or see if they will take the wheel off.

Right now measuring the old rotor/disc and back tracking to a part number seems best way to go. The old rotor/disc too rusted so no parts numbers on it. The old numbers in the manual are defunct. I even tried putting them in other parts websites and no go/no match or returns part number I have experienced doesn't work. The application chart for cleveland (and Rapco which matches Cleveland) is devoid of information for later models 337 and definitely wrong for an E.

Any help or previous experience appreciated. I've searched the threads and seen the discussions about heavy duty versus non-heavy duty brakes. I have standard not heavy duty brakes.

Last edited by wslade2 : 08-29-21 at 12:51 PM.
Unread 08-30-21, 10:46 AM

Skymasterdriver is on a distinguished road
I think I have a set I will look, if you pay shipping I will make you a fantastic deal on them of $0
Unread 08-30-21, 11:29 AM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Let us know how it works out

I enjoy seeing members of the 337 community working together to keep these birds flying! This isn't the first time someone here has offered to donate parts to another member in need.

To contrast: I belong to a BMW motorcycle forum. Guy needed an oddball part (nothing anyone else was looking for) and someone had one "in the corner of his garage". So the guy offered to pay $300 plus shipping (which I thought was very generous) but the guy with the part said for $300, he'd rather let it rust in the corner of his garage.

The difference in attitudes between here and there is astounding. I'm glad we've got such great members here in this forum.

Last edited by mshac : 08-30-21 at 11:32 AM.
Unread 08-31-21, 11:56 AM

Skymasterdriver is on a distinguished road
Can’t get photos to upload off my phone send a email address to me and I will send pics of the rotors I have.
Unread 09-01-21, 12:09 AM

wslade2 is on a distinguished road
Thanks Skymasterdriver!
Are yours for an E model? If they're for A thru D already know those won't work.
If I did it right, I PM (private messaged) you.