Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 02-15-09, 09:10 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Here is the progress report for the last couple of days, rear engine mounts are replaced, rear engine oil filter is installed, all inspection plates on the left wing, booms and tail are back on. The new tail strobe is installed. I had to rebuild the mount on the tip of the bottom tail cone as over the years this has been compromised. I have the white nav light on the starboard side as original and so now added a tip strobe to the port side.

One item that is being thought out is the plastic cuff that transitions the boom strut to the boom. This unit looks almost impossible to change. Mine has a nasty crack and I would really like to change this before paint. It is flush riveted to the boom but looks impossible to re-rivet if removed. Has anyone ever changed this item?

The interior continues to make progress. Although finishing yesterday was a dream. That's ok because I am still not in a hurry. We had problems with the original interior light switches. Cessna really went the extra mile with these stylish slide switches. I guess I shouldn't complain, they are 40 years old. I had new switches from aircraft spruce that I bought but once they arrived they were only rated for 12VDC. Although they were rated at 25 amps I just decided that the originals were still good so I wasn't going to change something that wasn't really approved. Anyway, the pilot map light switch decided to come apart while trying to re-install the window trim that it mounted to. After fiddling with it for what seemed like hours, checking to see if it worked, cleaning the contacts, lubing it so that the action was easier we finally had it installed. Just small incidentals like this can really eat up your afternoon. Of course it's Valentine's Day so my interior tech and his son had plans with the lady's so about 6 PM it's done for the weekend. Well some progress was made as the photos below testify. I am really liking what I see. It's going to be one of a kind. The leather that was chosen is really nice, soft with a casual texture to it. We decided that wrapping the windows was going to be really difficult based on the plastic frames. Cessna has more curves and angles and to wrap these would leave several seams in many directions. We were going with an raised stitch and it would have created quite the railroad track look. So after painting one of the plastic trims and seeing how it changed the look I decided that I could live with the plastic window trim. My plastic was really in good shape. The only piece we had to replace was the overhead console. All the windows are original pieces. With the special paint that is used and the offset color to give some nice contrast the trim really turned out nice. It looks brand new. We lowered the carpet line on the side panels. The original line was like 1/3 of the way up from the floor. By lowering the carpet line it allowed us to use more leather on each side of the designer fabric. I am sure it was easier for Cessna to just push the carper up higher and it also may have helped in the sound control over the vinyl upholstery that was original. We make some nice access panels for the main gear area to be inspected in the future. With the advanced use of Velcro these days it's really nice what can be done. The panels are totally invisible looking at the upholstery but it you know they there it's just a tug on one corner and the panel comes off to give a nice access to the area of the gear for inspection.

Trying to decide on the paint scheme, keeping the new interior in mind and trying to use some of the original color has been challenging. Not sure which way I am going yet. There were about 3 or 4 designs that I liked after searching all the Skymasters I could find pictures of. I will continue to work on this as time will allow even after the aircraft is being prepped for paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2JF rear eng mounts.jpg
Views:	1137
Size:	359.5 KB
ID:	778   Click image for larger version

Name:	2JF rear ol filtr.jpg
Views:	1165
Size:	358.2 KB
ID:	779   Click image for larger version

Name:	2JF FM ol fltr comp.jpg
Views:	1157
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	780   Click image for larger version

Name:	2JF ol ftr.jpg
Views:	1156
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	781   Click image for larger version

Name:	2JF rear oil fltr.jpg
Views:	1152
Size:	369.2 KB
ID:	782  

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 02-15-09, 09:14 AM
Forum Administrator

Interior Progress
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2JF int rear.jpg
Views:	1217
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	783   Click image for larger version

Name:	2JF ovhd cns.jpg
Views:	1099
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	785   Click image for larger version

Name:	2JF int detl.jpg
Views:	1204
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	786   Click image for larger version

Name:	2JF Int rear crn.jpg
Views:	1164
Size:	338.9 KB
ID:	787   Click image for larger version

Name:	2JF int detl e wnd.jpg
Views:	1131
Size:	583.0 KB
ID:	788  

Unread 02-15-09, 09:20 AM
Forum Administrator

Hours and hours of cleaning off old seals and rubber. Another "note" written on the door from Cessna, it says "avocado" and we assume that was referring to the elegant green interior that was Cessna original.

Installing the emergency exit window in the now clean frame.

Paint scheme drafts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2JF door note.jpg
Views:	1123
Size:	347.1 KB
ID:	789   Click image for larger version

Name:	2JF door clning.jpg
Views:	1153
Size:	342.4 KB
ID:	790   Click image for larger version

Name:	2JF E wnd.jpg
Views:	1248
Size:	315.1 KB
ID:	791   Click image for larger version

Name:	2JF Paint Schm 1.jpg
Views:	1311
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	792   Click image for larger version

Name:	2JF Paint Schm 2.jpg
Views:	1174
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	793  

Unread 02-15-09, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
I know you didn't ask for a vote on the paint schemes, but I vote for the left one, hands down. Not only is it superior to the one on the right, but I find it stunning. Can't remember any Skymaster with such a bold and elegant design. FWIW.

Ernie
Unread 02-15-09, 12:04 PM
Ace of the Atmosphere

skymstr02 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm with Ernie on this one.
The paint scheme on the left is eye catching.
Unread 02-15-09, 12:37 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Paint Scheme on the left. No question. Stunning.
That's 3 votes. Should we post a poll??
Unread 02-15-09, 04:38 PM

billsheila is an unknown quantity at this point
Agreed. Go left young man

I am totally with the crowd on this one. The scheme on the left is awesome.
Bill
Unread 02-15-09, 06:43 PM
Forum Administrator

Well that got some action going, I am making a few mods to the left one so I hope it will enhance your comments. I will post the next round as soon as I see them.

Unread 02-15-09, 09:16 PM

Todd Gessel is on a distinguished road
Sorry to disagree, but my vote is for the one on the right. It looks a lot like "our favorite airplane" in the photos section
Unread 02-16-09, 02:45 AM

JeffAxel is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with Todd, I prefer the one on the right as well. BTW, can you put those three bladed props on a T337G??? Can you heat the front one??? How do they stand up to stone chips, and other impact damage compared to Aluminum?? Just curious. FWIW, I kind of like the current paint scheme on your plane as well, more of a classic look to my eye....better match for the interior too. Can't loose either way though.
Unread 02-16-09, 10:14 AM
Forum Administrator

Yes the MT's are approved for the G model. Yes the front can be heated. The leading edge has a stainless steel strip and is really heavy duty. You never have to dress the blade like the original aluminum McCaully's. The rear is in the line of fire though, no different than the original, and will suffer damage if contacted with FOD. I have had to do 3 repairs on my rear in 6 years. The repairs are pretty easy, using 5 minute epoxy. Re-paint is the trickiest part. If you search MT props there are photos and more info on this message board. Thanks for the comments on the paint scheme.

Unread 02-16-09, 11:22 AM
Owner 337H N337DC

Dale Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
Paint Scheme

I vote for the one on left. Mush more modern design. Looks like new Cessna paint scheme on 172 & 182. Dale Campbell
Unread 02-16-09, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Not that I'm trying to lobby for the left one, but Dale has a point: it gives the impression of a new airplane. It's only partly in jest when I suggest that some day you might even hear "Hey, that must be a rare Adam A500." OK, I am trying to lobby for the left one.

Ernie
Unread 02-16-09, 10:55 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Me too, Ernie. I think the one on the left looks 'SWOOPY', stylish, while the one on the right, looks, well, plain. Not nearly as stylish. As a Plus, the Brown is more pronounced, and compliments the very nice interior.
Unread 02-17-09, 08:32 AM

SteveG is an unknown quantity at this point
The curvilinear trim of the left design study does look slick but I dislike the visual disconnect between the body and the boom/tail structure. For that reason I like the more unitary right study better, however, it needs to have both the brown and the gold trim colors carried onto the tail. Perhaps yet a third iteration could combine the design concepts of the curvilinear trim on the left with the fusalage/ empanage unifying elements of the right.