Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 02-08-21, 03:49 PM

JAG is on a distinguished road
Template

Tom,

I might still have the template...I wont be able to check until Friday as that is the next time I will be out at the hangar.

Jeff
Unread 02-08-21, 05:30 PM

TomM is on a distinguished road
Thanks!

That is awesome Jeff! Let me know what you come up with. Since your new panel is 95% what I would like may panel to be, it would be a great starting point. Keep me posted!
Unread 02-10-21, 04:00 AM

wslade2 is on a distinguished road
I thought I would give some follow up on the UAvionics AV-30C certified indicator discussed earlier on this thread, as I did get clarification from them beginning of this week. I got the following emails:

"Hello Whitney,

Your aircraft was initially added to the AML but the FAA has removed it because of the twin engines. We are trying to get them to put it back on and it looks like they are going to do it but it may be a month at their pace.
The newest firmware supports the dual vSpeeds as well.
We have had a lot of customers doing field approvals with no issues.
Sorry for the confusion.

thanks,
[I redacted name]
uAvionix Support"

I personally had one installed in the time window when Skymaster approval was first given and noticed one on a member's panel photo, so got additional follow-up regarding one already installed (as I bet an update would be required):

"Whitney,

When we have the update there will be 3 ways to do the update. One will be with a serial cable to a computer. We will also be using something called an AVLink that will wifi the software update to the AV-30. Or if you don't want to do any of those things we will have you send in the unit.

Thank you,
[I redacted name]
uAvionix Technical Support"

Stay tuned. May be additional option to consider.
As I previously stated I have kept my OEM indicator too, as it drives autopilot.
PS-don't shoot the messenger

Last edited by wslade2 : 02-10-21 at 04:04 AM.
Unread 02-10-21, 12:19 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
WSLADE, I hope they do get it approved for the 337. I would really like to have one.

Even if they do, I wonder if it will be approved for turbo and P models, since the published specs have a limitation of 200 knots, which both of these models can easily surpass in cruise flight?
Unread 02-10-21, 12:38 PM

JAG is on a distinguished road
Cruise speed

Mark - I believe the AV30C is approved for single engine aircraft up to a 300 knot Vne... This should not pose a problem getting approval for the P337.

But the bigger question I have is what modifications do you have for the Skymaster to cruise faster than 200 KIAS? Ha ha - just a little humor, I think you were referring to TAS.

Jeff
Unread 02-10-21, 01:43 PM

Here is the actual wording from their website: "The current AV-30-C AML applies to Part 23 single-engine aircraft operating under 200kts."

I thought the limitation meant TAS, not IAS. But that does make sense. The actual wording does not mention TAS or IAS, but if you default to the conservative definition, it means TAS.

Evidence to support my interpretation is this: Look at the AML for Bonazas (Under Textron) - only the NA models are approved, there are no TC models listed on the AML!

Also, if I understand correctly, there is no way to have a blue line on the airspeed indicator under the current software?

Last edited by mshac : 02-10-21 at 01:59 PM.
Unread 02-16-21, 06:15 PM

subsequent to the last post I posed this question to UAvionix regarding the AV-30C and blue line indication on the device:

me:
"Thanks. As I am a twin, will software update [after 337 added to AML] allow programming for “blue line” (vyse) airspeed to be graphically indicated?"

Uavionix technical support:

"Yes we will be adding Vyse and Vmc.

Thank you,
[I have redacted the name]
uAvionix Technical Support"
Unread 08-06-21, 11:30 AM

Learjetter is on a distinguished road
AV-30-C can be field approved --as supplemental--for Skymasters. When UAvionix posts updated software to include twins, the display can be updated in the field.

Link to SOAPA thread with details of field approval of AV-30-C installation:

http://www.337skymaster.com/messages...ead.php?t=5008

Last edited by Learjetter : 08-06-21 at 01:21 PM. Reason: added "as supplemental" because MShac is 100% correct! :-)
Unread 08-06-21, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjetter View Post
AV-30-C can be field approved for Skymasters.http://www.337skymaster.com/messages...ead.php?t=5008
Yes, but under the NORSEE program, it may only be approved as a secondary indicator, it may not replace the primary, as it may with all the aircraft that are already on the AML list.

Many of us want it as a primary, not a secondary, but this is better than nothing.
Unread 08-06-21, 11:36 PM

Whoops, missed that post on doing the field approval. Thanks that’s extraordinarily helpful.
When the AV30C first released, UAvionics stated skymaster was on the AML. I know because I was frequently in contact about having 337 added to the initial certification list and preordered an AV30C. They guaranteed skymaster approval when they reported my unit ready to ship. Then someone woke up and rescinded approval after I had my unit installed without bothering to tell me. I’ve kept my OEM equipment. In meantime been communicating with UAvionics about the hiccup/reversal every few weeks and as you report, at some point (they promise not too far in future) will provide software update for twin compatibility. Theyve gone over the process of in the field software change or unit can be sent in to be programmed once available. I will continue to bug them and continue nudge them about skymaster being added back to AML list as originally done.
In meantime been contemplating moving the AV30C over to my 182 and putting an Aspen in the skymaster.

Last edited by wslade2 : 08-06-21 at 11:47 PM.