Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 08-20-07, 10:49 AM

bncme262 is an unknown quantity at this point
engine advice requested

so the 1966 former o2b has a very doubtful rear engine that is in the process of being pulled. this engine had a prop strike, has oil leaks, high time, oil pressure problems and the alternator is not turning (indicating accessory case problems?). i am looking for advice on machine shops with three primary categories 1. steel hard parts : crank rods gears counterweights etc magnaflux and machine and certify, 2. cases: cracks weld machine line bore, 3. cylinders machine, supply pistons rings and gap rings. i am also looking for an a&p who has access to i&a approval to assemble the fully machined engine. i'm in the mid ohio area. who has good quality, reasonable pricing and knowledge and experience.
so i'd really like to hear what shops to go to and which to avoid, and any good individual engine builders. i like chuck ney and wonder if anyone has experience with his non choked cylinders and the roller bearings for the valve rocker arms.

i'm also open to a used engine, i don't mind high time but i prefer something recently running well, no prop strike, or pickled properly, good logs, with or without accessories.

next question: if you bought an engine( continental io360) from an experimental plane with no logs can it be recertified without a teardown ? do you just start new logs and make an assumption about the amount of time?
Unread 08-20-07, 01:38 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Call Don Neiser, www.02337parts.com. He generally has used engines, and can help with the rest of your questions, including what happened to the 0-2 sale.
Unread 08-21-07, 05:25 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
BTW, how did it get a prop strike on the rear engine?
Unread 08-21-07, 09:25 AM

bncme262 is an unknown quantity at this point
rear engine prop strike

larry: i'm not positive but i heard it was a nose high gear up landing that got caught just in time. seems very rare. ben