Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-16-16, 09:01 PM

Hankgator is on a distinguished road
T337E Problem at full throttle, full rich

Hi, again. Wondering if anyone on here has any insight into this kind of problem. Had to abort a takeoff today on a T337E because the rear engine lost power as I pushed the throttle to full. Mixture was full rich. Field elevation is only about 235 ft and the temperature was around 70. The front engine was fine. The rear just began to conk out as I got to full throttle in a smooth, steady press, during the roll. RPM dropped precipitously. Power seemed to increase fine until just before full throttle.

The plane had a new turbocharger installed a year ago and was only flown twice after that. I don't remember any issue with full throttle power. With some testing, we discovered that it seems to reach full power at full throttle if the mixture is retarded about an inch. An IA I know was with me and he tried to reset the mixture, but now it won't pull back all the way when you lean it. It leans enough to shut down the engine, but he's not satisfied, because he's worried he only shifted the stops so that it doesn't go full rich. The other engine seems fine at full throttle, full rich and has the full mixture range on the lever available.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Any thoughts as to what would cause this problem?
Unread 02-17-16, 12:22 PM

kbecker is on a distinguished road
There are specs for fuel pressure that need to be checked.
Unread 02-17-16, 05:54 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Here is the service bulletin for the fuel set up on the Continental IO-360. You will need to have a good set up of gauges and fittings.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SID97-3E Fuel Set-up.pdf (447.0 KB, 993 views)

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 02-18-16, 06:36 PM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
WARNING!!!! Over a year ago, an improper fuel pressure setting killed a man shortly after take-off. Insist it be checked IAW the attached service bulletin.
Unread 02-19-16, 01:37 PM

Thanks, Guys! I hope I can get it resolved without too much hassle. Very frustrating.

Appreciate the help!
Unread 02-20-16, 07:58 PM
bigcheese

n86121 is on a distinguished road
Snot in injector?

Interestingly enough was having intermittent similar issue. Turned out snot in an injector. One cylinder would clog up as fuel pressure increased. Cleaned snot. All happy.
Fort Washington, MD 20744
Unread 02-22-16, 12:23 AM

kbecker is on a distinguished road
This does not sound like an injector issue to me, but a fuel pressure issue. If leaning the mixture helped my guess is the metered pressure is too high. But the only way to know is to perform the tests listed above.
Unread 03-02-16, 12:56 PM

Just to follow up, it looks like the problem was a seized turbo. The turbo was new, and because it hadn't been flown for months, the lubrication dried up. Once that was addressed, the MP went up to 32" at full power, full rich, just like it should. The A&P that came out immediately suspected it when I started it up for him and he saw how it reacted to the throttle movement. I'll be taking it up soon to put it through its paces, since everything else seems to look good.

Thanks for all the input. I figured some of you might want to know, just to file away for future reference if a similar problem arises.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: