Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-25-15, 01:23 PM

Cozyjet is on a distinguished road
337 for sale and sitting a long time

Hello everyone and a Merry Christmas to all..

A long time pilot(30yers) with regular multi over 3k hours in total and instrument rated, fly an average of over 100 hrs per year...

Have always loved the Skymaster and knew someday I would own one.. so the decision has been made and the search has commenced.

Certainly not looking for a project, but finding the balance of a skymaster with low time engines and good IFR panel at the right price has proven a challenge.

Recently, a possible opportunity has presented itself. A well equipped 67B model has presented itself but it has not been flown in about 5 years since the owner lost medical. not annualed and for that matter, the aricraft has been "de-registered" by the FAA since the registration was not renewed. I have spoken with the FSDO and so long as all AD's are current, then it is just a matter of paperwork.

So here are my questions:

Any comments of the Year and model?.. bad AD's or reasons to stay away form this model?

Aside from the standard issues with an aircraft just sitting, any skymaster specific concerns in just sitting?.. seals, power pack for the gear etc?

The upside is that the plane is in Palm Springs California and has been in a hangar the entire time.... so its gotten hot, but no humidity...

does anyone know of a skymaster specific mechanic "expert" for a lack of better words, in range of Palm Springs that this plane can be checked out by?

bad part, is th plane is sitting a private airport so there is no FBO on the field, and its current condition is certainly not flying anywhere to get checked out... Thermal or Palm Springs ar probably the closest major airports.. Las Vegas a bit further but no too bad..

Any help and direction is most certainly appreciated and thank you all in advance.

Frank.
Unread 12-25-15, 02:33 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
I moved your post to the general messages so that more members would see it here.

I would first take a look at the log books with a good A&P, preferably a mechanic with some Skymaster experience but even just twin Cessna experience would be ok. You can access all the AD's on the FAA website and the A&P can use his favorite program to access the AD list for air frame and engines. If the log books got a green light then it would be time to do one of two things:
1. Take the mechanic to the airplane for the pre-buy inspection
2. Achieve new registration from the FAA and get a ferry permit to fly it to a good Skymaster knowledgeable facility for the pre-buy inspection.

Based on the inspection make your offer for the airplane knowing that in the next few annuals there is going to be many items that will need to be replaced or repaired. I would figure that it could easily cost you $10-12k per annual for at least the next couple annuals. Then there is avionics, paint and interior to think about. Avionics will cost $20k, paint is $12-15k and a nice interior is $10k. Now go look at other Skymasters that are flying with all that already done and you might find that a nice $75k Skymaster is really not that expensive.

Just my thoughts and they could change next time I post :-) Welcome to the site and good luck in your search

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 12-28-15, 10:36 AM

Thank you for the advice.. I have started looking.
Unread 12-29-15, 09:12 AM

billsheila is an unknown quantity at this point
How about one sitting for only a short time?

Hi Cozyjet;
I am a SOAPA member with a 337 that has been "sitting" but only a short time (almost 2 years now). It was properly pickled, in a hangar and has electric engine "dehydrators" installed since it has been stored. Engines are both factory reman low time, avionics are up to date (430W, Avidyne, traffic, weather, AP etc). The aircraft has been exceptionally well maintained by mechanics familiar with these machines and is located and stored at a field where they have their shop (in MA). Early life the aircraft was in southern Texas, then came north. It has approx 2700hrs total time on airframe. I stored it because I moved to Canada (importation "challenging"). My intention is to pull it out of storage and use it down the road hence why I put so much effort along with my mechanics to ensure it was properly stored. However I miss flying so I am thinking about a possible sale and then picking up another machine in Canada. Let me know if you have any interest. If you personal message Herb or some others in SOAPA they have at least seen the airplane and can give you some impressions...(I used to be fairly active in SOAPA when I was living in the US and actively flying). I would have to dig around to find some photos or arrange to have some taken if you are at all interested.

Thanks
Bill Taylor
Unread 12-29-15, 11:47 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Bill has one of the nicest 65's out there. I have seen it several times and he has really taken good care of her. We have worked to together on some of the maintenance upkeep through the years and he is very proactive with the approach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0643414.jpg
Views:	13157
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	1616  

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years

Last edited by hharney : 12-29-15 at 05:18 PM.
Unread 12-29-15, 06:16 PM

Herb... thank you.. very nice .. I have contacted Bill for some more details. would love to see the interior and panel.. it looks like its has VGs on the wings..

Thanks.
Frank.
Unread 12-29-15, 09:28 PM

bncme262 is an unknown quantity at this point
question for bill taylor and other forum members

bill taylor: might i ask the name of the shop in mass that you recommend for skymasters, that has been servicing yours? do they allow the owners to assist in the annual? and does anyone know/recommend a mechanic or shop for skymasters near raleigh, nc. or within 300 miles? thanks, responses appreciated.
Unread 12-29-15, 10:23 PM

Frank Benvin is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Bill

My dad is turning 86 and is looking at selling his 1967 337b registered in Canada
Let me know if you are interested He still flies it, but not enough to justify keeping it

Frank
Unread 12-29-15, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Benvin View Post
Hi Bill

My dad is turning 86 and is looking at selling his 1967 337b registered in Canada
Let me know if you are interested He still flies it, but not enough to justify keeping it

Frank
Frank... I think there may be some confusion... I am the one looking at buying a Skymaster and Bill is considering selling his 65...

So your Father has a 67 that he is interested in selling?.. By the way.. may name is Frank also.. Cozyjet is my handle.

Hope that sheds some light .. if I have it right that is!

Thanks..
Frank Dasmacci
Unread 12-30-15, 12:57 AM

Larry Price is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Price
Hmmm...I think I managed to follow all the posts, but I can see where it could get confuzzling, especially if one tends to skim the forum. As a neutral observer here, let me see if I can clear it up.

Frank Dasmacci is looking for a Skymaster and asked advice regarding one that's been in storage for a long time. He was advised to check it out thoroughly, but also explore other birds on the market.

Bill Taylor has a Skymaster in storage in Massachusetts, but he lives in Canada. Importing a plane is a bit of pain, so he's considering selling his bird in Mass., and buying one in Canada. He asked Frank D. if he'd be interested in his plane in Mass.

Frank Benvin's father has a Skymaster in Canada that he can no longer justify owning. He's asking if Bill Taylor would like to buy his Dad's bird in Canada, if he manages to sell the one in Mass.

If all the pieces work out, it sounds like a nice deal around. Frank D. gets a plane. Bill sells a plane and gets another. Frank B. helps his Dad sell his plane. This would make a great feature story for the front page of the web site! Is this a great forum or what?

Larry Price
Unread 12-30-15, 09:38 AM

Thanks for clarification Larry... I figured it out as I was going over the thread in my head over "nothing good" on TV... price of getting old i guess.

Indeed a great forum...

Frank D.
Unread 12-30-15, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsheila View Post
Hi Cozyjet;
I am a SOAPA member with a 337 that has been "sitting" but only a short time..........e some taken if you are at all interested.

Thanks
Bill Taylor
Bill,

just making sure you received my PM about your plane... would love more info.

Thanks...
Frank D.
Unread 01-05-16, 08:12 PM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
P337g

I have a 1975 P337G. Has five seats, deice boots, inter coolers, air conditioning, spoilers and much more. I own this unit for last 19 years. Good IFR platform. Well maintained with mid time engines. Reg. Is N34EC. Plan to sell. If interested my cell phone is 269-275-6613 plane is in Michigan.

Cheers
Jerry
Unread 01-07-16, 11:33 PM

I had not considered a pressurized model mainly due to maintenance costs and my mission profile.. you can PM me if you wish to discuss.

Thanks.
Frank
Unread 01-09-16, 06:05 AM

aerialbost is an unknown quantity at this point
Bill
I have interest in your 65, How can I reach you to review what you have, I am in NH.
Thank You
Tony Frank
Direct SkymasterP337@gmail.com

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: