Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-18-20, 11:20 PM

mattpault is on a distinguished road
Prospective 337 Buyer

Hello everyone.

After years of renting and sharing airplanes, I've decided to make my foray into ownership. After assessing trade-offs and costs, I think a Turbo 337 meets my needs and mission.

Bill Crews is representing a 1970 T337 with STOL kit and nicely updated avionics (still needs an engine monitor).

I'm planning Mike Bush's Savvy Pre-Buy process to manage my inspection and purchase, but I wanted to start with this forum to see if anyone had any recommendations on 337-shops in Tennesse or Illinois areas.

Thanks!
Unread 04-19-20, 12:11 PM

frank.oconnor19 is on a distinguished road
Ed Coffman. Located in Siler city in NC is a great resource. Also there is a group of dedicated skymaster folks just outside of Nasshville. I have no contacts in IL but I recently found a few folks in MN. you should also ping Herb Harney he is plugged in better then all of us.

Frank

Last edited by hharney : 04-20-20 at 07:50 PM.
Unread 04-20-20, 07:54 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Hey Matt glad you made it to the forum. The guys in Aurora IL are very familiar with 337 as one of our premier members is based there with his Skymaster. Luminair Aviation Services, probably not the least expensive around but are highly recommended. Saying that where is IL are located? It's a big state and maybe Chicago is not a good location
I see the plane on Barnstormers for a lower price, just FYI

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years

Last edited by hharney : 04-20-20 at 08:07 PM.
Unread 04-21-20, 05:50 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
Hi Matt...,

I think I am the member that Herb referred to although I do not know about the "premier" description. (Herb, if you were referring to me, thanks for the plug, if not, then I am embarrassed.....Lol).

Anyway Matt, reference Herb's reference to Lumanair, they have been maintaining my 1973 G model since 2002. My experience with them has certainly been positive and as he eluded to, probably higher than average in price. I say that with caution however as I really do not have much to compare them to and I do almost none of the maintenance. I do remove and install the interior before and after annuals and oil changes plus little odds and ends but Lumanair does the rest.

My airplane has worked quite reliably over the years so I have always felt I have received what I have paid for. Certainly doing work yourself can reduce labor cost which in my experience has been the bulk of the cost of maintenance.

I do feel a knowledgeable IA is a must with these and all airplanes if you do not posses the knowledge yourself. Rick Watkins has been the go to guy at Lumanair for 40+ years now. He is a walking database with the C337 and quite frankly countless other models as well.

I believe he has the desire to work forever and I hope he does but he has had serious health issues the past year or two but is back at work now full time and hoping to stay that way. He does not do the "heavy lifting" much anymore but the youth there has benefited from his experience and he is still there to teach.

Over my 18 years there, they regularly maintained 3 Skymasters, one of which was a P model, but I am the only one left that I know of now at the Aurora Airport (KARR). They will be taking my airplane in their shop next week to complete my annual and install my front overhauled engine and new prop. Yippee, it has been a slow process over this winter and I am very eager to get back in the air.

Anyway, I would certainly recommend them however they have been EXTREMELY backed up recently and frankly generally just always busy so speed of completion of work would not be a strong suit. My sense is though that this is likely a problem industry wide these days. Poplar Grove did my engine overhaul and it also took quite a long time to complete. I do value quality over quantity though so for me, it is worth the wait for both of these shops.

I would be happy to talk further if you would like. Good Luck in your search.

Ed Asmus
Unread 05-14-20, 09:43 PM

JimC is on a distinguished road
Matt,

It looks like this plane is still for sale. Did it fail prebuy?
Unread 05-28-20, 11:55 AM

JimC is on a distinguished road
I bought this plane yesterday. Woohoo!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: