Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 01-06-21, 10:22 PM

wslade2 is on a distinguished road
Patrolpilot,
Any chance you can get your hands on those wiring diagrams for Sandel 3308 and 400 autopilot interface?
I have Sandel 3308 too. Would like to interface it with the AP.
After reading your post, called Sandel today and their phone is disconnected. So it's looking like not going to get any further support from them.
Unread 01-06-21, 10:36 PM

patrolpilot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wslade2 View Post
Patrolpilot,
Any chance you can get your hands on those wiring diagrams for Sandel 3308 and 400 autopilot interface?
After reading your post, called Sandel today and their phone is disconnected. So it's looking like not going to get any further support from them.
I will ask them, I'm waiting for the shop to call me in as I have a transmit issue on my #2 430W.

Question, do you have the 2.3 WAAS software upgrade on your 3308? Apparently, few did it as it was $1700. No 3308s were manufactured in this version. Without that, you are stuck. The upgrade was serialized to the specific 3308, there is no way to upgrade any other unit other than the registered unit.
Unread 01-07-21, 05:54 AM

Yes I have the 2.3 software upgrade.
I like the sandel unit. Was even thinking about going to the 3500
LED version. Such a shame. I guess this means no updates for background waypoints on the integrated map as I got my last update from Sandel?
Unread 01-07-21, 08:09 AM

Great, as soon as the fellow calls, I will get down there and see what I can do.

I would go sooner, but I'm right in the middle of moving. It's not your average move as we are selling the ranch we live on, and it's a residential move times 100. It's taking weeks.

I just worked through selling all the heavy farm equipment I have; it's crazy how money was tied up in it. I could buy another Skymaster My wife is taking care of the brunt of it, as there are three homes on the property. I keep focused on the new place, a new home on smaller acreage, and 10 minutes (vs. one hour) from the "Grinder" (Skymaster).
Unread 01-07-21, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I like the sandel unit. Was even thinking about going to the 3500 LED version.
Same here, rather than buying a spare. I have not had the avionics tech sift through the 3500's autopilot list.

Quote:
Such a shame. I guess this means no updates for background waypoints on the integrated map as I got my last update from Sandel?
Yes, it is a shame. I can't imagine what it would take to even compete in this business against the likes of Garmin.

Dynon seems to be doing well. They just added their first multi-engine STC, the PA34 (Seneca), everything all the way through to a new autopilot. Wise move with so many airframes out there, with the older airframes needing renovation. Garmin and Aspen cause the FIKI you paid for to be invalid. Dynon went through FIKI approval.

I bought the 2020 map update from Sandel, but it could not be installed. It has an "Invalid Date Range" message. The shop could not get around it and could not get ahold of the fellow that helped with the integration. I cannot get a hold of the lady that sold it to me. I did notice that with the New Year that the Sandel webpage is reformatted, it now being Sandel Avilon. Maybe there is hope, and some of this can be sorted out.
Unread 01-07-21, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolpilot View Post
I did notice that with the New Year that the Sandel webpage is reformatted, it now being Sandel Avilon. Maybe there is hope, and some of this can be sorted out.
The phone number is the same and dead. So, I tried calling the fax number, thought I would send them a fax if I received the tone. Instead, after a bunch of rings, someone's voice mail picked up. I left her a message; the voice wasn't the same lady that usually answers the phone.
Unread 01-07-21, 02:11 PM

JeffAxel is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Patrolpilot,
their website is still active and the installation manuals can be downloaded from there.
Unread 01-09-21, 05:06 AM

Appreciate patrolpilot's help!
I do have the install manual for SN3308 which I have studied for some time. But Patrolpilot mentions a "King/Bendix autopilot adapter (which required a modification)" and this came from Sandel. So sounds like important stuff. An autopilot adapter is not in the installation drawings from Sandel.