Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 01-10-21, 11:39 AM

frank.oconnor19 is on a distinguished road
A great deal also is dependent on the features you autopilot has. Two axis? Alt hold? Auto trim? Do you have a slaved DG? Is there a flight director? I can give the name of a guy in MI that is kind of an autopilot whisperer.
Unread 01-11-21, 08:48 AM

patrolpilot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank.oconnor19 View Post
A great deal also is dependent on the features you autopilot has. Two axis? Alt hold? Auto trim? Do you have a slaved DG? Is there a flight director?.
What Frank said about features. On the AQI site, see the ARC instruments. You will need to get into the Avionics installation and parts manuals to figure out what you have in the box.
Unread 01-11-21, 02:23 PM

cessnadriver is on a distinguished road
Smile GPSS options with 400A

Patrol Pilot. Thanks for the reply. I have the original equipment list. I'll check it to see if lists the instruments. Also check the part numbers of the instrument in the box of autopilot parts. But I think there is only an AI.
Regards, BILLS
Unread 01-11-21, 07:55 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
The Nav-O-Matic 400 (Straight 400) had two versions that I am aware of. There was an early model with a little different control head and then the current unit used up to about 1969 I think. It seems the change from the early 400 to the latest 400 was about 1968. Attached are a couple cut sheets of the systems

If someone needs other info on the Nav-O-Matic 400 I have a couple files about these units. Service and Parts manuals and user manuals
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 7.47.15 PM.png (590.6 KB, 694 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 7.49.12 PM.png (541.7 KB, 699 views)

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 01-13-21, 09:06 AM

Nav-o-matic 400

Herb. Thanks for the pictures. I think I have the system on Fig 3-1. But I'll have to go to the airport to check. I may need the manuals you have. I did download the schematics for the head and computer, from you in the past.
Regards, BILLS
Unread 01-20-21, 09:12 AM

Red face Navomatic (STRAIGHT) 400

Herb.
Thanks for sending me the thread. I checked the autopilot I have and found I have both types shown in the pictures. The one that was installed in my C337 is FIG 2-1 but the other system I have is FIG 3-1. I contacted Autopilot Central (Tulsa)and Mayday (Michigan) they both say that getting those OLD navomatic (straight) 400 can be difficult to fix and or find the parts. It seams that my 400 requires a DG and a AI. The AI I have is the old type pictured. I was hoping to get a more modern AI that shows more details and color coded (blue/brown). Autopilot Central is quoting about $10,000 to get my system working/installed with a DAC converter.
The other shop is NOT sure about the overall costs? I have contacted tha Nashville shop yet. But will if the other shops can't help!
regards, BILLS
Unread 01-21-21, 07:34 PM

Red face Navomatic 400 (Straight)

Herb.
Hello again. I'm looking for 1965 Navomatic autopilot manual. Probably the install manual as I'm trying to determine the DG and AI that are required for the 1965 year 400 Navomatic. I downloaded the manual that you had, but it only shows Chapter 3 and Fig 3-1. My 400 is the one with only one trim light on the control head. If you have Chapter 2 and Fig 2-1 I'd appreciate it.
Thanks.
Regards,
Bill Story bstory@pa.rr.com
Unread 01-25-21, 11:55 AM

Red face Navomatic 400

wslade2 .
Thanks for the reply. Is the AF-520A the amplifier? The reason I'm asking is if that number is for the amplifier? Because my number is CA-520A?
Thanks, BILLS
PS: Do you have the SECTION 2 manual? The Section 3, which Herb sent to me is for 1968 model year, mine is a 1965.