Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 10-24-16, 03:14 PM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
engine conversions led to cool write-up

was googling around, looking for engine conversion info (and still very open to suggestions if anyone wants to chime in

then I ran across this really cool write-up...not sure if everyone has already seen it, and I am the last to find it...but a fun read for any Skymaster enthusiast... see attached pdf document.. and yes, it did have a small section on engine conversion options
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CESSNA 337 SKYMASTER2.pdf (588.8 KB, 9445 views)
Unread 10-25-16, 01:45 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
The write up has been around for many years but your find has been modified a bit. Looks like an ad for Aviation Enterprises. The STC's listed are out there, except maybe the Lycoming 540, but not all are still valid. The Riley conversion with the 520's is currently in the vault and not active. AE has an STC for the 550's and the advantage to that conversion is you only have to do one engine at a time. Never have seen anyone with 540's so that may just be a pipe dream or something that could be developed if someone ordered it.

The little bit I have learned is that the big engine conversions don't really provide all that much more speed unless you go high. They do get you up there quicker to go faster but the aero dynamics of the 337 just won't allow much more speed.

There is also the GM L-82 Corvette Water Cooled V8 conversion. If you want to deem the airplane experimental.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 10-31-16, 09:18 AM

rrolland is on a distinguished road
Engine conversions

During my search for a P337, I looked at a couple of conversions. Both were Super Rockets with the IO 520.

What I found is that the useful load was down substantially. On one of them, the useful was 1090lbs. So with full fuel (148 usg), there was not enough payload left for the pilot, unless the pilot was very slim...

My guess is that the weight of the bigger engines plus all the extra equipment such as AC and soundproofing are away at the standard useful load.

These aircraft would do better with a gross weight increase but that brings its own set of issues such as greater wingspan, possible AD inspections not to mention weight and balance management. The max landing weight remains the same.

In the end I found the stock P337 to be a better overall balance of performance and capabilities.
Unread 11-02-16, 10:11 AM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
good replies

Herb- yep, just thought there might be some folks who had not read it...I was focused on the engine conversion portion, but overall it is a great write-up on Skymasters in general
When you bought your remfg TSIO-360 engine from TCM, what did it come with (ie what did you pull from your old engine and have to get overhauled, so all was as new)? eg. fuel system, turbo, mags, oil filter, etc?

both - good replies, thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Unread 11-04-16, 08:45 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Let me see if I can get this right by memory.......I had the hydraulic pump overhauled and the governor, had to use my vac pump, exhaust, air filter, scat tubes, hmmmm I'm thinking that there is something else maybe but the remans come with just about everything installed and ready to go. I have about 150 hours on it now since June last year and it's doing great. I did have some oil seep from the exhaust rocker covers and Continental sent me some new ones. Just put them on so I will see if that's resolved but that's it so far.

I can quote some numbers or just call Continental they are really good to talk to

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years