Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 11-19-02, 06:19 PM

skymaster is an unknown quantity at this point
jb/keith ac's

Howdy: currently evaluating older kb/keith air conditioner. owner input either good or bad is appreciated. JCH
Unread 11-20-02, 12:25 PM

Ed Coffman is an unknown quantity at this point
air conditioner

I don't own one, but it sounded like a good idea so I called Keith Products. They said they installed one. It was not very good(made too much noise in the cabin and didn't work very well) so they don't support it anymore and don't recommend it.

Ed Coffman
________
Interceptor

Last edited by Ed Coffman : 02-18-11 at 09:00 AM.
Unread 11-21-02, 12:24 AM

Kevin McDole is an unknown quantity at this point
I visited them in their booth at AOPA and the really down played this product. They said they haven't done any for a long long time.

Apparently it's electric (which means big AMPS are needed) and the Skymaster electric system is a bit anemic as it is.

You might consider the Riley A/C as an alternate.

http://www.superskyrocket.com/
Unread 11-22-02, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
In a sense I'm glad GMAs isn't around anymore. Because whenever someone asked about air-conditioning a 337, he'd have a fit. And he's right. I live in Miami, fly nearly weekly to the Bahamas, and would never consider hanging such a contraption to my rear engine. Noise, power loss, useful-weight loss, engine-heating issues...Take it fron an aerospace engineer (MS Caltech)with 30 years experience: this is one mod not worth making. No wonder Keith Products is not keen on this item.

Ernie
Unread 11-24-02, 06:17 PM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
A.C.

I have a 1975 T337G equipped with a Riley Air Cond. I really enjoy it but there are some pit falls. I plan to discuss the Joys and Tears of a Riley Air Cond. at the Nashville meeting. Overall, I would recommend it but also make you aware of a major potential
costly problem. Remember, with a non press. Skymaster, you have good ventilation with air from the outside. With a P-model you don't. In fact, you get warm air from the press. system and ventilation in the P-models are not very good.
Jerry
N34EC
Unread 11-24-02, 10:57 PM

MikeZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Air conditioning..... ahhhh

I've owned my 79 Pressurized since 89. Always managed to survive the sweats in summer on the ground, or bursting out through a cloud deck into the sun, only to break out in a sweat in 30 seconds. Regularly flew unpressurized in summer to get some air in the cabin.

Three years ago, bought a house in Boca Raton, and decided to bite the bullet. Shipped in a Riley a/c kit, and my crew rolled up their sleeves and made the install. It was exceedingly well engineered, and the Riley folks gave us great support. It took longer than planned (first time), but was well worth it. We needed to modify our accessory case to get an additional drive which added some $, but no big deal.

Let me tell you, the a/c has turned my Skymaster into a luxury mini corporate jet. I JUST LOVE IT. Use it all the time, even in not broiling hot conditions, as it just makes it more dry and comfortable. Lowers fatigue and its like sitting in a Lexus cruising down 95.

I now would not own a non-pressurized plane, and think back to the bad old days.

Recently put on Flint tanks and I make it from Kingston New York (20N) to Boca (BCT) non stop. (subject for another thread).

BTW. Don't let just any shop do a job like this.
Unread 11-26-02, 09:55 AM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
re AC

We did the "riley" thing and when it works it is great! They have some hose problems they are in the process of correcting, otherwise, it blows ice cubes on the ground..

It is not a simple install. You need a good mechanic to do the installation. They do not use "freon" in the new systems. They use R-135..

Wound not be without it in a "P" series unless I lived in Portland OR....... <G>

Bob